• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    I dunno, it seems to me like if you agree to the bounty, you should keep your promise.

quote:
    My point is that nothing is promised when you start a bounty, apart from trying your best to fulfill it. Anything else would be unreasonable given the circumstances of how bounties work and what they usually are trying to achieve...

My point is that when you step up to the plate and say 'I'll take on that bounty' and then start working on it, then provide screenshots which get more donators hyped enough to send in money (which is exactly what's happened here) then start going 'oh well maybe I'll just give up and sell this instead' then it is kinda like grabbing the base at the last second and walking away. It IS breaking a promise. By that rationale, Amiga never promised anything either..

Those people gave money on the promise of future functionality seen in the screenshots and read about in the updates. Pure and simple. The bounty got bigger after each update.

Quote:

Even if you take the work you started (to earn the bounty), after it is done and build on that to sell, that's OK in my book.

Quote:
    Well, so far Marcik has not indicated that he will or is planning to do otherwise, so I don't really see what the big fuzz is about.

I didn't get that impression. I got the impression he's thinking quite seriously about bailing out on the bounty now. I can't say that I blame him in a way, but I would still feel kinda jerked around if I'd stuck in $500 or something.

Quote:
    One does not get paid until a bounty is fulfilled within agreeable terms to the donators, thus you are in effect not being paid for the work you are doing, but the work you have done once everyone agrees you are finished.

That is exactly what I said above, CISC. When the work you did is done, you earned the bounty. Not before it is done.

But, the fact is that he's been on it since 2005, so no one else (possibly who coulda completed it?) started working on it instead. If he does quit now, that puts the bounty and its prize a YEAR BEHIND where it woulda been if he'd just not done it and let someone else take the bounty. That's frustrating. Now, if this isn't what is happening then, thankfully, its just so much hot air. I really hope this is the case. But, our man needs to come out and say 'OK, I'm gonna fulfill the bounty and make this thing work, so don't worry about it.' or else he needs to go ahead and try to go commercial with what he's got. Good luck in this market. In other words, its hit it or quit it time.

I'm not bashing here, I'm not flaming. Just trying to make the point that if he's been working on this for so long then bails-it doesn't matter so much that he doesn't get paid. What matters is if he bails, we're yet another year behind in getting a real browser. This is my point.

When Marcik comes on here and says 'hey guys, chill, I'm still going towards the bounty, here's a new screenshot, don't worry be happy!' then I'll breathe a great sigh of relief that most of this thread just became pointless :-)
  • »01.08.06 - 07:39
    Profile Visit Website