ezTCP - try #2
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Sonic wrote:
    Well, well...
    Yesterday i compiled the working version. It started ans succesfully pinged itself (127.0.0.1)
    The roadmap for a project was:
    1. Build a working kernel.
    2. Create a modularized GUI consisting at least of 3 components:
    a) small control panel (capable of controlling every interface, putting it online and offline.
    b) syslog viewer (this is already taken from Krashan's work, needs only to be integrated).
    c) configuration editor, very much like one from Genesis.
    The whole system could be linked together with events notification system. AROSTCP code is very well written, it can be easily extended and adding events is not an impossible task, current code allows it, it is just not done.
    3. Check DHCP, fix (implement) it.
    4. At this point the bounty is complete, project goes opensource. Further suggested tasks are (not in order of priority):
    1. Rewrite PPP device from scratch. Add a good dialer (like in Miami, not like in Genesis).
    2. Write PPPoE device from scratch.
    3. Re-add inetd dropped in AROS distribution.
    4. Fixes and improvements, your suggestions, etc.
    Well, well... I see you wish to pay Krashan but don't wish to pay me just because it's me. Ok, you'll get what you want. I HALT THE PROJECT!!! I wouldn't like to waste 2 months and when everything is done hear something like "code is bad" (but the actual work is done, it's usable, clever, right?). Or get $50 from some new bounty. Well, pay to someone you WISH to pay to...
    At least thanks for that you told it NOW and i didn't lose my time. I'll better use my evenings for php coding and industrial Pentium motherboards repair because someone pays me for this. Not so much, but they DO unlike you.
    I didn't force anyone, YOU suggested the bounty. And usually it's suggested to answer for your words... Don't promise anything if you don't want to keep your promise...
    Of course i don't erase my code, i can continue at any time. But i will do it only when you accept me as a project coder and it the amount will be reasonable (in case if you remove all the money and start new bounty).
    Krashan's work is not dead, i use parts of it.

[ Edited by Sonic on 2005/9/12 9:42 ]

Hey now, I am one of the bounty mods here and I say your code is fine IF it supports the guides of the original bounty. If your code is native PPC and it has DHCP with a GUI that allows easy setup then you got it. Targhan said the same things. You will get the bounty when its complete if you wish to keep going. Relax and help us get the native stack we all want mate!

[ Edited by Acill on 2005/9/12 4:43 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »12.09.05 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    2 Acill:
    Thanks, i'll continue.
    I'm just bothered about that i don't see that the bounty is officially assigned to me. Does this mean that anyone is able to take it over and kick me out of the job if he wishes?
    I just put some rather serious efforts into the project. Sitting all the evenings until 3:00 am (i wake up then at 6:15 am) is enough serious for me.
    Well, today our family has a little celebration, probably i won't be able to code, but hope the day after tomorrow i'll tell that the kernel pings not only itself. I already cleared up some things on MDC forum, i hope that's all.

[ Edited by Sonic on 2005/9/12 16:02 ]
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »12.09.05 - 13:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Just give some time to Targhan to clear up the mess.

Some people may not be confident that an AROS TCP port / with adding features / fixes will be up to the written from scratch TCP IP stack Krashan planned and started. If the project is reassigned without telling the donators a few people may ask to withdraw their money. I don't think that anyone want that near project completion time.

I think Targhan should notice the donors that a new effort is underway and that a dev is waiting to get approved.
    The people should decide quickly if they keep their donation there or if they prefer to put it on other bounties. I don't think the major donors will withdraw their money but to be fair it is necessary to inform them about the changes.
    Maybe in order to help Targhan / Morphzone major donors should write on Morphzone if they are willing to support sonic project.
    Then the bounty should be assigned to Sonic and stay open for donations so people can show their support to during the development phase with checking with Sonic progress reports.
  • »12.09.05 - 15:23
  • Targhan
    Hey guys,

first of all, I don't close bounties once they are assigned. I can't say for the AROS Team, but it appears that users here want to see an assigned programmer before they start donating.

Okay, that aside, I was trying to find the happy medium for this project. Some of our reference programmers were wondering about how this would come out--since the aros tcp/ip stack has no DHCP (to our knowledge).

@Sonic-Do not fear someone coming up to take a bounty away from you. Even if GodProgrammer shows up, the worst that can happen is a vote to see if the bounty should be split. That's a worst case scenario for you (though probably best for the community), and I doubt it will happen. Chances are that any other good programmers out there, who are interested in our platform, will note that a) you are trying to pick up this bounty and b) 1.5 will eventually show up with a tcp stack too. I just doubt that anyone else will jump in on it. (Besides, some of this is just "my bad" as I've been trying to catch up on some home-stuff that I was unable to do until this weekend)

another topic: KHTML--> there have been several donors in my absence, I will get them listed and updated today!

another topic 2: has anyone seen jaca? I need to close out that bounty and get the funds to him! Our first success from the bounty system -- Congrats JacaDcaps!!!

Whew, that's a lot of stuff!!!!
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »12.09.05 - 18:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Well at this point ive gotta add my 2 cents. Ive tried to stay out, but hehe. Personally I dotn see a problem with the port provided he adds the code for dhcp and that its reliable. Heck on a bit plus will have a tcpip stack with dhcp and will have it in a matter of a couple of months. INstead of the original idea of 6 months! Heck and im not being rude, but by the time krashan was done morphos 1.5 may be out =). THats not belittling krashan work as its hard writing somethign from scratch like that.
  • »12.09.05 - 18:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    killlbilll
    I agree with Zephar! If Sonic pulls off all of the requirements for the tcp/ip bounty outline, he should aquire all the money from the original bounty. We need a stack now, not after MOS1.5 is released.
    [ pegasos ii / g4 | morphos1.4.4 ]
  • »12.09.05 - 19:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    2 Targhan:
    Well, i repeat again.
    I've studied the DHCP subject. Here are the results:
    1. AmiTCP/AROSTCP really doesn't have DHCP code in the kernel.
    2. There is 3rd party solution on Aminet called dhclient. I guess for someone it worked.
    3. I checked UNIX implementation (from which AmiTCP is derived). UNIX also uses dhclient, it's an official implementation of DHCP there. dhclient runs on already brought up interface having no IP address and adjusts it. On Linux this is done in the "ifup" script. I will just implement the same thing.
    This leads to a conclusion - i can take recend UNIX DHCP implementation (v3 now), port it, clean it up and bind to the suite. And it will work in the same way as on UNIX. I think on UNIX this works perfectly. If this fails with AmiTCP somehow, it's mere port's problem and can be of course cleaned up.
  • »13.09.05 - 06:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    And to warm up the topic here is the second progress report. :hammer: Yesterday i managed to find 1.5 hours to fix my crashing kernel and did it!!!
    At 01:00 am the kernel succesfully started and pinged the remote machine running Windows95. After that i started IBrowse and was able to browse sample content from Windows Personal Web Server running there. Succesfully!!! :bloons: :pint:
    Now i started rebuilding netlib, it's impossible to build the rest of environment (arp, traceroute, resolve, etc) without it. But, now, after reading the thread, i think i'll change priorities a bit and move efforts to dhclient.
    At this point i'd like to ask you, people, if you would like to see an alpha-version. Will it make your opinion better or spoil it? Currently it's just a kenel with minimal environment. It can connect to Ethernet, doesn't support DHCP and whole configuration is done by editing text files, no editor yet (though i can't tell it's really difficult, but who knows, may be it's for me, it's the same as reconfiguring Linux via editing /etc contents, even files are the same...). It needs to be installed separately, this means you can't for example replace Genesis' kernel with my one because the rest of Genesis environment requires bsdsocket.library v4 and i left version number as 3 (to avoid numerous potential cries like "it crashes here, i don't know why, this sucks"). Samba doesn't work with it because there is no netinfo.device yet. But it fully supports Amiga applications relying only on bsdsocket.library, and supports recent versions of MorphOS' SANA-II devices bringing them online properly! And it needs excessive testing, my little environment of 4 machines is not enough for it...
    So - release or continue to work?

[ Edited by Sonic on 2005/9/13 9:59 ]
  • »13.09.05 - 06:50
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    BigGun
    Hi Sonic,

Please release a test version now!

I would very much like to test it with the MOS network software like Aweb I'm working.
    BTW While DHCP is probably neded for some of us, is no use for me.

Cheersd
    Gunnar
  • »13.09.05 - 07:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphZone screenshots database is down so i decided to publish them on Unmorphos project page.
    Here is very first one (night from saturday to sunday). SANA-II doesn't work yet on it, but it is able to ping itself.
    Just didn't make a new one yesterday...
    https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=133480
  • »13.09.05 - 07:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ok, i'll clean up scriptwork (write ifup script, it's easy) and release the aplha. I would like to give a complete preview of the configuration layout, ready to embed DHCP.
  • »13.09.05 - 08:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    gosh it looks promising !
    you're going pretty fast ! keep up the good work, i'm glad i finally haven't asked for a refund. I may donate again soon.

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2005/9/13 22:38 ]
  • »13.09.05 - 21:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I've just uploaded v0.1, it's waiting for approval.
    Please direct to me any success or failure reports. The more broblems we discover now, at the initial stage, the higher quality the end result will have.
    I would particulary like to get your feedbacks about new directory layout concept. Yesterday during going home in the train a revolutionary idea came to me that i agree that UNIXish layout of original AmiTCP really sucks, and when i got home at last i quickly remade it to fit into SYS: (because ezTCP is supposed to be an OS extension).
    But, please note that this version is quite not final, it's just a beginning, plain bare bones, just to make some intensive testing (i don't have Internet connection at home).

[ Edited by Sonic on 2005/9/14 9:54 ]
  • »14.09.05 - 06:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    WOW :P

Sonic, how about firewire as second project?

Gr,
    Felix.
  • »14.09.05 - 07:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Firewire... Not now at least. I'm busy with TCP. I need to swap digits in version number first. 8-) This is expected to take 2 months, i really hope not longer.
  • »14.09.05 - 07:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    @All

Get ezTCP 0.1 here:

https://morph.zone/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=334

@Sonic
    Thanx for making this early test release possible in such short time.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »14.09.05 - 08:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    At least one test failed - Antibike reported that resolving names via DNS doesn't work.
    This doesn't mean ezTCP is completely unusable, you can continue testing, bencharking, bughunting, etc. Also i would like to receive more reports.
    Just one advice: for emergency cases, if DNS fails for you too, to be able to enter at least morph.zone and #MorphOS IRC add the following to your s:netdb/hosts file:
    --- cut ---
    38.99.64.210 irc.freenode.net
    69.13.225.0 morph.zone
    --- cut ---
    After this you'll at least won't stay alone deaf and dumb on the network and will be able to tell us something.
  • »14.09.05 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    http://nogfx.free.fr/morphos/google_eztcp.png :)

Leo.
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »14.09.05 - 10:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Sonic! Wow great work, I got on the net with a MOS native stack. I can say I have to enter in the sirect IP for sites as well. Great work again though, its starting to look like we will have a nice working stack soon.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »14.09.05 - 12:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Want to tell good news. I found the resolver bug! It was improper linking and improper API calling with wrong library base. If you look carefully you'll likely note that every DNS query generates that "crit" message in the syslog which i asked not to pay attention to. But this is the clue.
    Note for programmers: never omit function prototypes or at some point you'll get into hard-to-find trouble! :homer:

[ Edited by Sonic on 2005/9/14 16:32 ]
  • »14.09.05 - 12:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    This is top-notch commitment! Amazing!
    Now, time for a question: Are there any talented developers not living in eastern Europe? ;-)
  • »14.09.05 - 13:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Sonic you just keep giving us great news over and over! I cant wait for the final release. It seems eastern europe does have quite a few great ones doesnt it?

I can say the world would be a better place if we live together like all of us do on this site and in this communiety.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »14.09.05 - 13:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    careful with eastern europe ! biggest paert of Russia is in Asia :)

nice work Sonic, nice ? not nice ! amazing ! astounding !
    don't forget to rest !!!
  • »14.09.05 - 19:54
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Great, I look forward to checkign it really soon here day or two ill let you know how it works on a proxy network.
  • »14.09.05 - 19:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    here it says it can't find "bsdsocket.library"! Isn't it a bit strange!?

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »14.09.05 - 21:23
    Profile Visit Website