gunne
    Hi catohagen,

Well I am using an ordinary PC with Windows also. One, ordinary stationary one, is running Windows 2000, and is in the (cable)-lan.

With this machine I do communicate using Samba on the Pegasos with MorphOS. This as the MorphOS-machine then is available for accessing in Network Places in Windows. However I mainly only copy documents, pdfs and such things between them. So I have no idea how fast/slow that works, it works good the way I use it.

The other machine with Windows is a laptop running Windows XP and is dual booting Ubuntu. Its used in the wireless lan, so transfer with this is little bit slower, but the same with this, its not used for any heavely transfers, so it works as it works as to say .-)

For server purpose, communication and network, I feel that Linux is a much better and stable choice then Windows is. And Pegasos is a good and stable server platform with Linux.

And I do not think Samba/Windows is an ideal day to day solution. For transfering files between machines ftp is better, or even ssh as I believe. You can also mount partitions with NFS for instance for full access. Samba/windows have for me always been something aimed just for copying/accessing smaller files like documents etc things. And still there is software that needs Windows, however I do believe Linux will continue to become more and more popular also for office/desktop use.

Soo... Yeah, replacing all machines with Pegasos'es seems like a good choice to me... :-)

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »27.12.05 - 19:19
    Profile Visit Website