Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Since I need Excel [...] I need Windows, not Linux.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=11

The 32 bit version included in Office 2016?
    That should work, still as a non-native program the performance might suffer, and its not going to be constantly updated like Office 365.

I tend to shy away from emulated environments, but since I already mentioned implementing a VM its a fair comparison.

In reality, I be more likely use my laptop to run Windows while running MorphOS on a separate machine.

And...if I followed this course, I'd still be stuck trying to adapt to Linux..
    Again, no thanks.

WINE Is Not an Emulator Jim, there's no performance loss at all, some things run faster too. 64bit programs work fine too.

But if you have paid for Office doesn't it work in a browser too now?

According to the current documentation, only the 32 bit version of Excel 2016 works under Wine.
    And yes, I have a separate Office package (not web based) now, but it was downloaded.
    I might be able to find the original install.

As to "Wine is not an emulator", translator, emulator...whatever, it still doesn't make Windows apps native to Linux.

In any case, it would still involve adapting to Linux, which is a bit more cumbersome and less intuitive operating system.

I'd still prefer to stick with Windows and MorphOS.

I've experimented with Linux frequently since the '90's, and its never been a completely satisfying experience.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »18.12.17 - 14:02