Irrlight engine port for MorphOS bounty
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    BSzili
    Not to be all Doom and Gloom, but unless a game that uses Irrlicht is ported too, it will likely collect dust if it gets ported.
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »21.08.16 - 18:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Yes, the sense of BSzili is definitely not silly, and I'd agree let's find a game that is likely to be ported that uses it, and then consider porting it, once the game has been released as open source, as there is no point in doing so until then.

Nice to have a plan, but not an ill thought out idea.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »21.08.16 - 21:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    For me , now the shaders for tinygl is more important than porting a 3d engine. Shaders are needed in many games like sauerbraten doom3 or others which can be ported if tinygl provide shaders support.
  • »21.08.16 - 22:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Porting such engine(s) makes only sense if there are enough games using it and if they are OpenSource.

Sure some people scream I will make a game, but to be honest there are only a few people in the community capable of coding a 3D game from scratch even using such engine.

We had alot of donated stuff in the past that is dusting and never was really used.

I am not against porting such thing at all. It should just taken into account what the user gets from it at the end. One or Two games that maybe will ported sometime in the future is not something I would invest in.

Better set a fixed goal like the engine and two games. So everyone spending money can know what to expect as result.
  • »22.08.16 - 11:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:
    For me , now the shaders for tinygl is more important than porting a 3d engine. Shaders are needed in many games like sauerbraten doom3 or others which can be ported if tinygl provide shaders support.

I agree, but maybe this is a topic better discussed in a separate thread titled "How to improve TinyGL", or "Better OpenGL support for MorphOS".
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.08.16 - 17:33
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yes of course. :-) the way is to offer a such a machine to bigfoot :-)

http://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/bayeux-14400/un-distributeur-de-pizza-ouvert-rue-des-bouchers-3938399

[ Edited by acepeg 24.08.2016 - 01:18 ]
  • »23.08.16 - 22:15
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Mark doesn't need help coming up with more projects.
    And better OpenGL support would be great, but you have to remember that while part of the name is "Open" there is still a licensing fee.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »24.08.16 - 00:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:
    Yes of course. :-) the way is to offer a such a machine to bigfoot :-)

http://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/bayeux-14400/un-distributeur-de-pizza-ouvert-rue-des-bouchers-3938399

I don't understand what "offer such a machine" means in the above sentence. I am sure that Bigfoot already has many MorphOS capable machines, as well as x86/x64 systems, which allow him to work on any part of the existing PPC version of MorphOS, as well as the future x64 compatible version of MorphOS, and probably several different compatible video cards, to test out new 3D drivers, and/or improvements to TinyGL, or full support of a newer version of OpenGL.

I have already donated and shipped to Bigfoot a G5 PowerMac (not sure it is still in use, as it might have had some problems after shipment to Africa from the USA, IIRC), and a good friend of mine, Jim, has donated several video cards to both Bigfoot, and Frank.

That being said, I would be happy to donate more gear, or bounty money, toward the improvement of 3D support for MorphOS. Maybe if we are lucky, better 3D support will come with the x64 version of MorphOS, but those are two completely different and unrelated things.

Edit: As for Pizza, I don't think that an automated Pizza machine that gives you a Pizza in 3 minutes, is something I would want to eat. It probably is full of preservatives and other things not healthy for you.

[ Edited by amigadave 23.08.2016 - 18:31 ]
  • »24.08.16 - 00:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I don't think that an automated Pizza machine that gives you a Pizza
    > in 3 minutes, is something I would want to eat.

I wouldn't want to eat a Pizza machine either ;-)
  • »24.08.16 - 01:03
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I don't think that an automated Pizza machine that gives you a Pizza
    > in 3 minutes, is something I would want to eat.

I wouldn't want to eat a Pizza machine either ;-)

Wow, a joke from Andreas. ;)

OK, if OpenGL 2.0 or ES support is possible, without paying a fee (calling it, I don't know...does it matter?), that would be a better direction to pursue.
    Game engine support would benefit from that.
  • »24.08.16 - 17:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > OpenGL 2.0 or ES

OpenGL and OpenGL ES have separate version numbering. Current OpenGL is 4.5 from two years ago and current OpenGL ES is 3.2 from one year ago. While OpenGL ES 2.0 is short of a decade old, OpenGL 2.0 is 12 years old.
  • »24.08.16 - 18:53
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > OpenGL 2.0 or ES

OpenGL and OpenGL ES have separate version numbering. Current OpenGL is 4.5 from two years ago and current OpenGL ES is 3.2 from one year ago. While OpenGL ES 2.0 is short of a decade old, OpenGL 2.0 is 12 years old.

And tinyGL is a subset of older versions of OpenGL.
    Amazing that any of the porting done with it works.

Am I right in assuming that ES is aimmed primarily at portable devices?
  • »24.08.16 - 19:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > tinyGL is a subset of older versions of OpenGL.

Yes, basically of OpenGL 1.2 (1998), but as of MorphOS 3.8 with support for features like DXT3/DXT5 of OpenGL 1.3 (2001) and VBOs of OpenGL 1.4 or 1.5 (2002/2003).

> Am I right in assuming that ES is aimmed primarily at portable devices?

Yes, at "smartphones, computer tablets, video game consoles and PDAs" according to Wikipedia, or at "consoles, phones, appliances and vehicles" according to the official website.
  • »24.08.16 - 20:45
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote: I wouldn't want to eat a Pizza machine either ;-)

WooHoo . . . :bloons: I too almost fell off my seat, that's made from an old Pizza, or is that just the staining ! Yuck :-D

Anyway, way-to-go, kudos to you Andreas, get'em in there - the jokes that is!
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »25.08.16 - 04:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hey friends it was just a joke 😉. It's just because Bigfoot love pizzas.
  • »25.08.16 - 06:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > OpenGL 2.0 or ES

Sad that we don't even have full support for a standard that is over 12 years old. Meaning, it is sad that our 3D support is worse than what was available over 12 years ago.
  • »25.08.16 - 06:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> OpenGL 2.0 is 12 years old.

> [...] a standard that is over 12 years old. [...] was available over 12 years ago.

2 weeks short of 12 years, to be more precise ;-)
  • »25.08.16 - 09:14
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:

We are not giving you a hard time, its just that it is a rare occasion when Andreas resorts to humor (and that was funny).
    I wonder what the pizza is like in South Africa?
  • »27.08.16 - 00:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

acepeg wrote:

We are not giving you a hard time, its just that it is a rare occasion when Andreas resorts to humor (and that was funny).
    I wonder what the pizza is like in South Africa?

Actually, I think that Andreas resorts to humor much more often than most of us realize, but because it is such a "dry" type of humor, many/most people miss it, and therefore don't realize how funny Andreas really is. It took me a very long time to even begin to understand Andreas posting style, and frankly, I was quite "put off" by his style at first. I actually get a fair bit of enjoyment from his humor, now that I have seen it for several years.
  • »27.08.16 - 00:28
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Bastiaan wrote:
    - Encore game engine by Encore Games
    Closed source, nonavailable to public. I emailed them some time ago, with the request to open source their technology. But I haven't received an answer.

Really? I am sorry for no answer. :( However I don't remember any mail with question about my micro-engine.

I’ve developed Encore Engine since 2007 but it also uses various sources/ideas which I written between 2000-2007. During last 2 years I redesigned/reimplemented almost whole engine and currently I am finishing the refactor. The engine is very simple and requires: old OpenGL 1.4 (TinyGL), C++, SDL 1.2. I am going to remove the SDL in the future because I use only several functions from the library. Additionally I created plugins necessary for export 3D data from Blender to files in format supported by my engine. Currently I support: MorphOS, iOS, macOS, Win32 (probably - I don’t use Windows). If I had more time, I could port it to: AmigaOS4 (small effort), Linux (small effort), Android (medium effort). Now I am focused on: MorphOS, iOS and macOS because I prefer and use these platforms. The engine is my hobby and it is created only for my projects. I added to the engine what I need and how I want. I don’t want create easy to use and scriptable engine. It should be comfortable for me and my projects. :)

I have alpha-version of one simple indie-game based on the engine. Whole basic mechanic works. The alpha-version doesn’t contain any graphics (instead of real objects I use temporary place-holders). Development of the game currently is frozen because I am redesigning/reimplementing engine. However on the beginning of 2017 I am going to back to the game and adapt it to the Encore Engine 4.0.

I will not open the sources because I am not able to support developers which would use the engine. My free time is very limited and I can’t use the time for support other projects. I develop my projects with veeeeery low speed. It is my hobby, I love it and I “waste” each piece of free time for this. :) I am still going to release some projects for MorphOS/iOS/macOS. I hope I will be able to finish the ideas soon…

Greetz (and sorry for my weak English)!

Mariusz “MDW” Włodarczyk
    Encore Games
  • »24.11.16 - 17:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    interesting.

Gl4es allows a quick port of the IrrLicht engine .

[ Edited by Spectre660 28.08.2018 - 12:30 ]
  • »28.08.18 - 16:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    The WebGL standard is based on OpenGL-ES 2+ and the parts missing from ES can be mostly added from a software patch called GL4ES. The possibility of Vulkan would be better but there's not much open source to leverage apart from Google's GL-ES compatibility module to run on Vulkan, Mesa and DirectX 11. TinyGL seems to be hopelessly obsolete by comparison.
  • »28.08.18 - 17:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Spectre660
    Would it be practical or possible to tweak the old TinyGl engine ?

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
    The WebGL standard is based on OpenGL-ES 2+ and the parts missing from ES can be mostly added from a software patch called GL4ES. The possibility of Vulkan would be better but there's not much open source to leverage apart from Google's GL-ES compatibility module to run on Vulkan, Mesa and DirectX 11. TinyGL seems to be hopelessly obsolete by comparison.
  • »28.08.18 - 18:36