Firewire Bounty
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:
    AmiTCP V4 version at least. Unfortunately, due to circumstances which have been discussed in public to death already, it didn't make it to release so far. But that's a different story ....

Care to enlighten us? Why did the amitcp port not go public? Oh I forgot, "laire: morphos is not a network os, use linux for that"
  • »04.03.06 - 23:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    @kr

3d ?

@ash

Wah wah wah... then why did he port the stack himself ?
  • »04.03.06 - 23:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Henes wrote:
    @kr

3d ?

@ash

Wah wah wah... then why did he port the stack himself ?

Then why did he not release it? Maybe he wrote it to go "neener" at us? Anyways, if in doubt see figure 1.

Whatever the story, I think it is inexcusable for morphos to not have a native tcp stack. It's the dumbest thing ever, period. Well, that and a whole host of other shortcomings I care not to mention.
  • »05.03.06 - 00:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Maybe he simply didn't want to contradict you.
    By the way, did you buy a router ?
  • »05.03.06 - 00:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    henes

You are funny as always :-)

I have to agree the tcp bounty got way too high.. i never agreed with this bounty for alot of the reasons stated here...

Equally surprising is that ArexxPPC bounty is more than SFSrepair tool when we have working 68k Arexx atm :-?

I'm afraid firewire on mos is not going to happen due to reasons stated by pega1.

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »06.03.06 - 17:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    If you could port the stack source from OS X that I put a link for here you could use it free of charge with an OS like MOS from what I can see in the doc files. So take a look and see if I am wrong.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »06.03.06 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    It is very large task. But i would like to try to do it. However i would require some small hardware donation first (i have no IEEE1394 devices here), for example HDD mobile rack.
    BTW, where is Targhan? Looks like this page isn't updated for ages. I'd like to see up-to-date tasks list.

[ Edited by Sonic on 2006/3/17 14:10 ]
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »17.03.06 - 11:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    Lets get this Bounty going. I am ready to support it. Can someone write it up and summit it. We need ditital video on MorphOS!!
    God Bless

Bob
  • »17.03.06 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    Sonic, I will support ya. I can give a little to you getting a piece of HW.
    God Bless

Bob
  • »17.03.06 - 15:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    @ Sonic

Very good news!

Just setup a bounty and I will support your effort with a donation.

Regards

Christoph
  • »17.03.06 - 16:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    HI memering, glad you joined :)

Just because there is a FW bounty doesnt mean we have "digital video on mos" there still would be no application to take advantage of it..

@ Sonic
    While nice of you to say this, do you really think you can code it? Do you have that deep of an Amiga programming background. We looked into firewire on mos a couple of years ago and it seems that there are only a few who could do it. Maybe if Frank or Ralph would work with you directly you could do it... would be nice to see ralph post here or pega 1 again..

magnetic
  • »17.03.06 - 20:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    magnetic,
    Motion Studio was a video editing solution that needs Firerwire. "If it is built they will come" this is what will happen. Video, animation and other multimedia products can come from this but, you are right, we will need more creation software that will take advantage of this stack.

Bob
    God Bless

Bob
  • »17.03.06 - 22:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Magnetic: I recomend you get the firewire developers kit I posted a link to. It has complete source for the Panther firewire stack and mosr of the stack in Tiger as well. Also included are several example tools and applications with source to test against your code. Its an awesome kit with everything you need to get firewire hardware working on your platform. Reference docs, drivers, the works.

I've been using it to get the DVHS emulator in it working with my SA8300HD DVR to transfer stuff off its hard drive and on my Mac. It works quite well now and I can even controll the cable box through my Macs and set up ical scripts to record shows on my Mac as if it was a DVR, a basic one, but it works.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »18.03.06 - 00:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Acill

I'm not a programmer, and I dont have time to be sifting through source code here! :-?

However, lets get the bounty up and get the donations coming in. If it gets to around $2k maybe someone like pega-1 will pick up the project...

Just keep the bounty objectives realistic. Just a base FW stack for external hds, and optical drives would be great.

magnetic
  • »18.03.06 - 03:03
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

However, lets get the bounty up and get the donations coming in. If it gets to around $2k maybe someone like pega-1 will pick up the project...

Your belief in Sonic's codingtalents is astounding. A way to motivate someone to even start :-/

I have full confidense in Sonic in this. After all, he promised a tcp/ip stack, and he made it happen too. That said, I am in no need of firewire-support :-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »18.03.06 - 08:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Code:
    Perhaps a USB 2.0 stack (extension to Poseidon 1.1 stack) would make a good bounty... and alot more realistic

Poseidon is already an USB2.0 stack. All we need now is the USB2.0 drivers coded by Nico but not finished yet.
  • »18.03.06 - 09:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hooligan

Its not a matter of his talents. I'm sure he's talented. He knows BSD and linux coding and some Amiga coding but according to Mos team to code FW driver alot of high-level amiga programming knowledge is required....

magnetic
  • »18.03.06 - 09:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Go ahead with the bounty! :-)

Should of course be both for a driver for the Pegasos hardware, as well as the stack itself! The available source code should give a flying start.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »18.03.06 - 10:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Just about all firewire devices use the same standard so once the base is complete it should be just a matter of getting things talking with MOS and the various file systems for drives and such.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »18.03.06 - 10:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    This is a great idea for MOS and DiscreetFX will support it with a donation. We are working on video editing software for MOS, AROS & OS 4 and a FireWire stack would really help. Even if it is only on MOS at first @ least it gives us a base to continue our efforts with video editing software development.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »18.03.06 - 14:18
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    I already posted a comment on the iussue in this thread before MorphZone went down and part of the database was lost. The comment went into void too, so I'll repeat the important points.

There is a FireWire stack for Amiga: it's the MacroSystems' one. FireWire devices (mass storage and digital video) are supported. The stack works on an AmigaOS 3.x system without custom chips (the DraCo), therefore porting this one should be much easier. Then you would need only the low level device (which you would need anyway). And it's supported by a couple of MacroSystems own programs for videoediting (that are much better than what we have now - nothing).
    The difficult part would be to know wheter MacroSystems are availble to licence this code, considering they're not selling Amiga related products anymore, but they're still in the video editing market.
    I would suggest to try this path before picking more esothic alternatives...

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »18.03.06 - 16:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I forgot all about the Draco stuff. The problem is thats all closed source isnt it? Would they be willing to give it out? I dont think so, but if they would, it would make for a great head start. I'll email them and see what they have to say.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »19.03.06 - 06:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:
    We are working on video editing software for MOS, AROS & OS 4 and a FireWire stack would really help. Even if it is only on MOS at first @ least it gives us a base to continue our efforts with video editing software development.

Indeed. But please note that, despite the available source code and documentation, this is propriatery technology that is not free for all to use without a license. MorphOS is also a closed source, propriatery, commercial operating system. So IMHO this whole idea depends on whether MorphOS can make use of Genesi's license for these patents (and I don't know where this puts AROS or OS4):

http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20051006

Maybe the juridical situation should be examined a little more closely before too much effort is put into this?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »19.03.06 - 09:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    I'd be very curious to hear what you get back from them! It seems
    like we'd already be quite a lot of the way there, if MacroSystem has
    firewire. There are only a few firewire chipsets out there, but lots
    of CD drives, HDDs, etc. as well as scanners, camcorders, professional
    SLRs etc.

It'd be one less use for the Mac and one more use for MorphOS. That,
    a real browser and modern email client, and bye-bye Macintosh!!

If need be, I have a firewire CD burner and firewire camcorder to use
    as test units for any code that comes my way. The burner is a Yamaha
    8x, and the camcorder is a JVC GR-DVL915U.
  • »20.03.06 - 06:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    memering
    Can someone with a little experence write up a bounty for this and we can see what happens?
    I am not that good at putting something like this together. I would screw it up! but I will if needed.
    Maybe someone here is already ahead of me and writting somethig already :-)

Bob
    God Bless

Bob
  • »20.03.06 - 13:28
    Profile Visit Website