• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:
    Apart from that, the IEEE specifications for the firewire layer as well as all its device specifications are not free of charge (and you don't get them for free if you pay for using Firewire in your products to the patent pool consortium as well afaik).

Doesn't the problem consist of two parts, one technological and one juridical? You will need documentation, specifications, etc in order to create the actual thing, and then you will need a proper license to use it in a real, commercial product?

I have not looked too deeply into them myself, but what were the links Acill posted? AFAIK, those would provide everything you need to get going, with documentation, example code and everything? And then the license Genesi acquired could bring the right to use it commercially?

Quote:

It also requires that you at least own a few devices to do proper testing. I doubt that donations would even cover the costs related to that.

No, not really, not from a *bounty* project at least. What's required is *access* to a bunch of devices (which is not at all the same thing as owning them). It could be solved I think! But then (AFAIK) a lot of developments has been funded by giving HW gadgets as payment, and for a developer looking at this from *that* POV, a creative arrangement on a bounty level project might look less feasable ...? :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »10.10.05 - 14:56