takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Serbia/Ukraine and Kosovo/Crimea?

A better parallel?

I don't see that as at all parallel.
    Although I would prefer that we stay out of other country's politics entirely.

As Red echoed, good luck.

US army invades Serbia to "protect" ethnic Albanians in Kosovo who then declare independence from Serbia.

Russian army "invades" Ukraine to "protect" ethnic Russians in Crimea who then declare independence from Ukraine.

There is no difference.

I see many differences, like that in the post Yugoslavia breakdown there was a series of real civil wars with horrendous and extremely brutal slaughter of civilians and systematic ethnic cleansing, and UN (as in United Nations, not US) did some pathetic tries to intervene. There was certainly no US invation, it was a UN intervention (in which many nations participated under UN flag), and if anything can be said about that, it's probably that it was way too little, way too late.

In Ukraine, there was no civil war, no butchering of civilians, no ethnic cleansing, no war crimes, no nothing! Nothing at all!

Kosovo was a different aspect even when portrayed in contrast with the whole Yugoslavian breakdown. First of all, it happened AFTER the collapse and ending of the (ex-civil) war between the major three nations involved. Secondly, the UN had absolutely nothing to do with it at all. It was solely a NATO thing (with the exception of us holding a neutral position). Ultra right wing Albanian paramilitary organization UCK, geared with US weaponry, started the ethnic clearance on the region with the goal being to unite with Albania. It was the same paramilitary organization, consisted in large by criminals, murders and fascists, that had printed maps displaying part of the north west Greece as Albanian territory. Hell, I remember them waving them proudly on CNN back in 1999! I know that the middle European has pictured Serbs like medieval cannibals feeding themselves with human babies (partially due to real slaughters and brutality of their army ordered by their asshole leaders between the actual Yugoslavian breakdown) but Kosovo was a chance to neutralize Milosevits and force Russia to quit its last standing ally on the region.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »07.03.14 - 09:41
    Profile Visit Website