• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I think it would be good if you didn't have to re-read all the files in the playlist everytime you load it. With a couple of thousand MP3's it not only take a lot of time, it also make my HDD work very hard for no good reason. Just my 2 cents.

It is the intented behaviour. File system is like a database and thus fits perfectly in this case.

About the loading time, my Mac mini is able to load 50 files per second with a 80GB 7200 rpm 2"5 disk. I think it does the job pretty fast enough imho. For 1K songs collection, it would takes 20s with my setup. I won't call this long.

If anyone has a nice collection of MP3 and a SSD drive, I'll be glad to get some feedback about the loading time with such setup.

Also, loading from a database would ask even more time: for each file stored in database, in a perfect world, the following two things should at least be done:
    - Check if the file is still present, if not remove entry from database,
    - Check if the metadata has changed (user tagged some songs) and update database content if needed.

With the current 'brute force' approch:
    - Recursively walk a directory,
    - If file is loadable with Reggae and type is sound, load it,
    - ???
    - Profit.

If songs are added/deleted/modified/moved etc, Jukebox still loads it right without having to mess with fail prone database stuff.

Also, keep in mind that Jukebox is meant to be a minimalistic player.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »09.11.13 - 19:49
    Profile Visit Website