Can't install MOS 3.3 on PMAC
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

Feel free to file bug reports through the MorphOS bug report tool for things you find not working, but please give a slightly more detailed report if you do so.

Quote:

So what would you advice me to do in both cases? Report the "bugs" through your report system?

Yes.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »08.10.13 - 17:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    CountRaven,
    Quote:

Sorry, I know that I sound like the bad guy here and like an end user that wants to have it everything plug n play and complains about two silly games. But that is not the case. I really had ENOUGH with all this Amiga madness, including MorphOS. And I am getting really mad when simple things are simply not happening. I have ended up using BOTH MorphOS and AmigaOS for just some basic things that would expand my retro passion but even when those SIMPLE things are NOT happening, well I am seriously thinking that it is not worth to be on the ship anymore, no matter the flavor.

I can understand your frustration, but I really think you should keep things in perspective when it comes to MorphOS, specifically. For the most part I have found everything just works, period, until the G5 and R300 support. We the users pounded the table for G5 and R300 support. When it was under development we pounded the table for it to be released. It seems we finally got a MorphOS release with bugs directly related to the G5 and R300.

It happens. The MorphOS team is small and the task is enormous. Maybe you are letting your disappointment in other related OSes lower your tolerance for MorphOS? Unlike some other Amiga-like OSes the bugs will be squashed soon. The MorphOS team rarely disappoints and shortcomings are not long lasting.

You have a MDD? You have a Radeon 9250? Put the 9250 back in for now and you have a bulletproof system! My MDD with Radeon 8500 just works and simply DOES NOT CRASH. My G5 with R300 has a few bugs, so I will be taking out the R300 and putting a 9250 in for now. It is a small price to pay. But really dude, a MDD with R200 card works flawlessly SO USE IT. Be brutality honest with yourself and you will agree that a Classic Amiga was never as stable as MorphOS on a G4 with R200!
  • »08.10.13 - 22:22
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    CountRaven
    Quote:

You have a MDD? You have a Radeon 9250? Put the 9250 back in for now and you have a bulletproof system!

No I do not have a spare 9250. I tried to find some newer cards just to go on the next level G4 trip but this was a fail. It is not fun when you pay fir hardware that at the end you can not use.

Quote:

It happens. The MorphOS team is small and the task is enormous. Maybe you are letting your disappointment in other related OSes lower your tolerance for MorphOS? Unlike some other Amiga-like OSes the bugs will be squashed soon. The MorphOS team rarely disappoints and shortcomings are not long lasting.

The point of my post was not to blame anyone. I just pointed that before a new feature is released, they should test it again and again. The users may want lots of features to be released, but it is better for the users to wait, than getting half working results.

Quote:

My MDD with Radeon 8500 just works and simply DOES NOT CRASH. My G5 with R300 has a few bugs, so I will be taking out the R300 and putting a 9250 in for now. It is a small price to pay. But really dude, a MDD with R200 card works flawlessly SO USE IT. Be brutality honest with yourself and you will agree that a Classic Amiga was never as stable as MorphOS on a G4 with R200!

There is no sound support on the G4, it is something simple and basic..... No one cares. In which way we can someone point that yes Powermac G4 is supported when it is lacking sound under MorphOS?

I want a stable system, That would be able to do basic things, when the extra features are coming they are welcome, but first focus on basics...

This 9700 is crashing my system... Ok yes I know the deal... Find another card... I am used to it.

[ Edited by CountRaven 09.10.2013 - 07:30 ]
  • »09.10.13 - 06:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @bigfoot

Hello,

My card is a genuine Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB Mac Edition featuring the R360 chipset (XT). It has also installed a brand new Zalman cooler plus full set of heatsinks. The card is running cool and I can verify that I have no issues of overheating. The card was running smooth under OSX in a Quicksilver previously, if that helps.

Some applications I tested and failed, may indeed rely on SDL. Who should I inform in that situation? Because, if I swap the card with my old Radeon 9000, the applications (and the system in general) run back on normal. How can I determine whether it's an individual application's fault or a more generic problem relying on the drivers issue?

I haven't found the time to investigate thoroughly the problem with Ambient lagging (that only gets fixed via reboot) but I can verify that it happens when I start moving OWB's window and when I open a txt file (I may need to open and close the txt file once or twice before the problem starts).
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »09.10.13 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    Quote:

I haven't found the time to investigate thoroughly the problem with Ambient lagging (that only gets fixed via reboot) but I can verify that it happens when I start moving OWB's window and when I open a txt file (I may need to open and close the txt file once or twice before the problem starts).

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9535&forum=11#105024

I got an overclocked to 1.5 Ghz PowerMac G4 MDD.

It has 2Giga of RAM on 4 sticks / 512MB.

It has a Radeon 9700, I have tapped the two pins in order to make it work.

It also has a SoundBlaster Live and a USB 2.0 PCI card.

The CPU is cooled by two extra fans.

The machine works GREAT under MacOSX, it is tested with full Heavy Load, in ultra hot and many hours.

On MorphOS I have this very STRANGE issue.

On the first boot the mahcine works fine. It plays videos form usb sticks, it plays web radio, it plays mp3, everything I have tested goes on well.

If I let some time to pass lets say 30-40 minutes and make a Reboot -after the warning of unregistered version-. The mahcine would NOT work well under MorphOS:

Glitches are heard instead of sounds through the SB Live.
    The mouse cursor would stuck if I move it. It would move for a while, then it would stuck again, the it would move again.

Anyway the system is NOT stable.

I tested with different memory sticks, letting only 1.5 Giga on board.
    I changed the PCI slot of the cards.
    I re installed MorphOS -and Chrysalis-.
    The gfx card is getting a little hot, I left some backplates of the machine totally open to allow some more air to come.

Nothing changed.

Of MacOSX I have none of this problems.

[ Edited by CountRaven 09.10.2013 - 10:16 ]
  • »09.10.13 - 10:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    CountRaven,
    Quote:

No I do not have a spare 9250. I tried to find some newer cards just to go on the next level G4 trip but this was a fail. It is not fun when you pay fir hardware that at the end you can not use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Apple-PowerMac-G4-64Mb-Radeon-9000-AGP-Card-603-1989-Working-USA-/160958076711?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Less than $20 shipped. If that is too much ask here on Morphzone and someone will probably sell you one for less. I dumped a dozen of these last year for about $12 shipped. Drop it in, no gfx issues. Any R200 based card will treat you good until the R300 bugs are squashed.

Quote:

There is no sound support on the G4, it is something simple and basic..... No one cares. In which way we can someone point that yes Powermac G4 is supported when it is lacking sound under MorphOS?

What are you talking about? You have a MDD and sound works fine on an MDD. I have a MDD(FW800) and the built in sound works fine. I prefer use a SB Live and it works fine too.

Quote:

It also has a SoundBlaster Live and a USB 2.0 PCI card.

The CPU is cooled by two extra fans.

The machine works GREAT under MacOSX, it is tested with full Heavy Load, in ultra hot and many hours.

On MorphOS I have this very STRANGE issue.

On the first boot the mahcine works fine. It plays videos form usb sticks, it plays web radio, it plays mp3, everything I have tested goes on well.

If I let some time to pass lets say 30-40 minutes and make a Reboot -after the warning of unregistered version-. The mahcine would NOT work well under MorphOS:

Glitches are heard instead of sounds through the SB Live.
    The mouse cursor would stuck if I move it. It would move for a while, then it would stuck again, the it would move again.

Anyway the system is NOT stable.

What happened to no sound support? Are you trolling? It sounds like you have failing hardware, possibly the SB Live. OSX doesn't have drivers for SB Live (AFAIK) so a failing sound card won't be obvious.
  • »10.10.13 - 02:12
    Doffo
    @CountRaven

I can vouch for the MDD Mac... FW400 MDD macs would have very low audio output, but to my understanding was fixed in 3.2 upon the release of G5 support. I would of sent you a free SB Live and a free Radeon 9000 Pro for your MDD to rid of your problems. Right now I only have stacks of SB Live! cards near me where I currently live but haven't got around to throwing them in the spare Quicksilver mac tower.

Recently I battled my MDD and it came down to my Video card why Ambient was SLOWWWWW as hell and audio shitting on me. This was a flashed Radeon 9200 SE I modified and im sure the card was well on its way to hell. Days later it was greeted with artifacts on the screen... Swap out your video card for the time being and it may fix your issue. :) :)

I had to fight my Amiga 1200 a few days ago to get the damn thing to connect to my LAN. Imagine the frustration having to start from scratch with no floppy disks. I used a CF card for my hard drive and had to read up on alot of partitioning with SFS and PSF. WinUAE was the savior of the project. Wasn't no walk through the park, but even after fighting the damn thing I ended up winning. :) :)

Have a few beers and kick some ass.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »10.10.13 - 03:53
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    @redrumloa

Quote:

What happened to no sound support? Are you trolling? It sounds like you have failing hardware

A friendly advice:

Keep your words for yourself.

Fortunately I have much better things to do in life than to waste my time on forums trolling. I am really laughing out loud every time I am taking notice about this red vs blue war and no I am not going to take it.

If you are unable to understand what I mean by pointing "No sound support" (I mean this very low playback of EVERYTHING sound related on TWO -2- PowerMac MDD Machines, -a fact that I quoted and described many times both in this thread and on other specific thread as well), then this is your problem and in fact that does not make ME a troll.

No I do not have a bad card because this SoundBlaster Live works perfectly in other machines. It also work on 3.2, on the first boot, I have described the problem again and again.

@duffo

Quote:

I can vouch for the MDD Mac... FW400 MDD macs would have very low audio output, but to my understanding was fixed in 3.2 upon the release of G5 support. I would of sent you a free SB Live and a free Radeon 9000 Pro for your MDD to rid of your problems. Right now I only have stacks of SB Live! cards near me where I currently live but haven't got around to throwing them in the spare Quicksilver mac tower.

Recently I battled my MDD and it came down to my Video card why Ambient was SLOWWWWW as hell and audio shitting on me. This was a flashed Radeon 9200 SE I modified and im sure the card was well on its way to hell. Days later it was greeted with artifacts on the screen... Swap out your video card for the time being and it may fix your issue. :) :)

I had to fight my Amiga 1200 a few days ago to get the damn thing to connect to my LAN. Imagine the frustration having to start from scratch with no floppy disks. I used a CF card for my hard drive and had to read up on alot of partitioning with SFS and PSF. WinUAE was the savior of the project. Wasn't no walk through the park, but even after fighting the damn thing I ended up winning. :) :)

Have a few beers and kick some ass.

Thanks for the post. Yes I have been there -Amiga 1200-. Yes I know that the problems would eventually be solved if I pick up some of the supported hardware. I should have known better that the new card are not supported well and simply remain to the catalog of the supported ones.

[ Edited by CountRaven 10.10.2013 - 11:19 ]
  • »10.10.13 - 07:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

My card is a genuine Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB Mac Edition featuring the R360 chipset (XT). It has also installed a brand new Zalman cooler plus full set of heatsinks. The card is running cool and I can verify that I have no issues of overheating. The card was running smooth under OSX in a Quicksilver previously, if that helps.

OK, then please use the bug report tool as I mentioned earlier. Doing so gives me valuable information about your hardware that will help me in figuring out what the problem might be.

Quote:

Some applications I tested and failed, may indeed rely on SDL. Who should I inform in that situation? Because, if I swap the card with my old Radeon 9000, the applications (and the system in general) run back on normal.

The one issue you described (black screen, but sound is playing) could maybe be something like SDL not handling a different pixel format correctly. Could of course also be something else, but that was the first possibility that sprang to mind.

If you don't mind swapping cards, try booting with each of them and launching the 'GraphicsBoards' tool and note down which pixel formats each card supports.

Quote:

How can I determine whether it's an individual application's fault or a more generic problem relying on the drivers issue?

That can be quite difficult to do. If you're in doubt, you can always file a bug report for it and then we can look into it.

Quote:

If you can reproduce it that easily, do this:
    1) Reboot your computer.
    2) Open a shell
    3) Change the directory to one of your hard disk partitions by typing its name followed by a colon
    4) Type 'getramdebuglog' (without the quotes) but don't press enter yet.
    5) Do whatever it is it takes to reproduce the problem
    6) Activate the shell window and press enter
    7) Wait 5 seconds
    8) Reboot, file a bug report, write a short description and paste the contents of the 'morphos.log' file that was created on the partition you chose.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »10.10.13 - 10:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @bigfoot

Ah, ok, because I was wondering how the heck I create a txt bug report that captures the problem with Ambient lagging.
    The "TaskLayerInfo", that I am seeing toping my cpu cycles, what exactly does it do?
    Hope to find time afternoon to send most bugs. I will revert with more news hopefully tomorrow morning.
  • »10.10.13 - 11:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

The "TaskLayerInfo", that I am seeing toping my cpu cycles, what exactly does it do?

When running 'enhanced layers' (the stuff that gives transparent windows and window drop shadows, for example), 'LayerInfoTask' is the task that combines all of the 'layers' (ie, windows) into the final image you see on the screen.

What is happening in your case is that your Radeon GPU crashes. This causes the Radeon driver to revert to software blitter fallbacks instead of using the GPU to combine all these layers, which is really, really slow.
  • »10.10.13 - 13:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @bigfoot

Hello, yesterday evening I filed my first bug report, regarding Ambient lagging (which is the most important bug since it prohibits using my MorphOS box). More reports will follow (especially the ones with trashed graphics).

BTW FYI, the getramdebuglog repeats the following sentence around 15-20 times:

Radeon: Timeout while waiting for the CSQ queue to idle

Is there any chance that somebody is going to contact me by mail after the bug report and try to sort this out or do I have to wait for a new release? What the above error actually means? Are there beta drivers which I can test in my system?

Thanks.
  • »14.10.13 - 08:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Thanks for the bug report. It already gave me several pieces of information I can work with. However, you didn't leave an email address I can use to contact you for testing potential fixes, so if you could please supply one either by private message or a bug report, that'd be helpful.
  • »14.10.13 - 09:19
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    @bigfoot

My name/surname was completed automatically at the bug report box, so I thought that you had a record to match them with my e-mail address :P
    Anyway, not a big problem, I will do so through PM and all my following bug reports will have it include.
    As I have written above, if you have a beta version of the drivers and/or a hot fix for my problem I WANT to test it immediately, cause frankly, after someone experiences MorphOS with a R300 card, there is no way he will ever go back for a R200 chipset GFX.
  • »14.10.13 - 11:29
    Profile Visit Website