• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Found some time last weekend to play with my MorphOS machine. So, here are my experiences so far:

Right after the installation I described above, I started toying with my (new) system.

The good: Network speed is truly heavily optimized and I managed to top my network connection. Just to give you an example, before (with MOS 3.1) I was downloading at ~250-300kb/s and now I was able to achieve speeds of 500-750kb/s (max adsl speed in my home). Test was conducted through same serves/files, so it's kind of official to me, network speed is faster at least 2x :P I played with SCube, Drago, moving windows in general seemed a bit faster.

The Bad: When playing an mp3 and launching OWB, I have an instant lag (the music stops for a brief second). This is the first time I experience this (and I made several boots and reboots to assure that it wasn't - just - for one time, but it did occurred repeatedly). YT in OWB is broken (and I made sure I had the scripts/plugins drawer up-to-date) . 9/10 videos that I tried (which were uploaded in the last 2-3 months could not be played (ok, this is irrelevant to the MOS3.3. installation, but hope you understand my point).

Then I decided it was time to take out the old 9000 64MB and put the new and shinning 9800 MAC PRO 256MB (I think it's flashed with the XT core, I have to check with Jim in this one).

The Good: Jesus Christ, the speed of the card! I can finally open an unlimited amount of windows, screens, games, whatever the hell I wanna, without keeping a constant eye to the fucking GFX VRAM usage! Damn, that's sweet. Then I launched Q2. Whoa, another holy shit moment :) Finally, the game can be played without even a thought of wrapping or lagging or frame drop regardless the scenery and/or amount of enemies. Blender also benefits from having such a little beast to your system ;) and btw the card was automatically recognized, I didn't had to choose anything to make it work :)

The Bad: Unfortunately I also experience the trashed graphics thingy, which seems to haunt MorphOS users same way the BSOD did for the WinPC ones :( The first time it happened was when I visited Prefs/Screens and tried to pick up the 9800 1280x1024 instead of the old 9000 1280x1024 option (not that it had any practical impact since the system was already running normally). The second was when I called ScummVm to run on fullscreen. The third time was when I exited Q3. Also, SCube stopped working (as it was described in another thread here in moszone). Giga-Lo-Mania, stopped working as well (it loads but you cannot move the pointer anywhere - same behavior as it was observed by some PBOOK users around here, some months ago). Furthermore, I did get a sudden Ambient lag that needed a reboot to get it fixed (also, this has been described in the past as well).

So, I really need to know, is the R300 driver finished or someone is going to address the above issues? Because all the above did not happened only to me but to many other users as I have read here in moszone :(
    And no, going back to 9000 is not an answer. Whoever is exposed to a MOS system with a fast GFX and plenty of VRAM, cannot look back not even for a glance! ;)

Some other observations:

The boot problem, which caused me to start this thread, is finally gone. I think this happened after I copied manually the mac_ppc32 to the boot partition and deleted the old one. Previously, BigFoot's advise (write in OF boot cd:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img) did not work either.

Long story short, I have a hardware little trouble: One of the 9800 ram hitsinks does not fit well and I want to remove it. I have google for an answer bu got nowhere. How can I do this?

Sorry for really long thread, but this kind of stuff happen when you leave someone with a very fast MOS system for 48 hours :)

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 07.10.2013 - 11:25 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »07.10.13 - 09:21
    Profile Visit Website