wish list - feel free to expand.
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    This wishlist is nice but is it usefull? MorphOS suffers from the Open Source problem, which is: only a very limited group of users and an even smaller group of developers that can code what they want, because they make their own priorities (and they are right because its their own time). If they quit, its over. If they abandon a project, it's over etc.

Its all about priorities: should the small amount of developers focus on even more hardware support or should they focus on applications that use the current platform (platform = the running OS + required libraries) and again: nobody sets the priorities accept the developers themselves.

<This is subjective>
    For me MorphOS is complete, it does what I expect it to do, although a little slow, when compared with Mac OS X on the same machine. Could I live with MorphOS as my only computing platform? No. To much software for day to day use is missing.
    </subjective off>
  • »11.04.14 - 09:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS suffers from the Open Source problem, which is: [...] If they quit, its over.
    > If they abandon a project, it's over etc.

Doesn't sound like *open* source to me :-)

> MorphOS [...] does what I expect it to do, although a little slow, when compared
    > with Mac OS X on the same machine.

On my Mac mini G4, MorphOS is certainly faster than MacOSX Leopard. This may be different on dual-CPU machines for certain computational tasks, though.
  • »11.04.14 - 15:38
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    "For me MorphOS is complete, ... To much software for day to day use is missing."

Does this contradiction make sense to you?
  • »11.04.14 - 17:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > "For me MorphOS is complete, ... To much software for day to day use is missing."
    > Does this contradiction make sense to you?

I read it as MorphOS itself, i.e. the operating system per se, is complete for him. What he's missing is 3rd party software.
  • »11.04.14 - 21:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Wishing things would be different does not make it different. MorphOS is what it is and I really like it this way! Sure, I want more users and more programs but we live in a time where we are blessed by a huge amount of useful open source projects for Linux. This is how we have OWB and MPlayer for example. I think this is what will probably save MorphOS from obscurity. But it doesn't mean it will happen fast, and it doesn't mean that MorphOS is useless until then.

I use MorphOS as my main computer today. This wasn't possible before 3.2 with it's vastly improved TCP/IP stack. If that's not progress, I don't know what is.
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.04.14 - 23:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Here is a wish for the Panel:

I would like to be able to choose an icon to use instead of that little flat gray thing when using zipping function. Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpf2MmanlvQ

I would also like to be able to hide it: for example that you can have transparancy (up to 100% if you like) until your mouse is over it.

My MorphOS blog
  • »23.05.14 - 12:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    SixK
    As we are in wish list, I'd like a Document Map viewer in Scribble just like on this picture :
    notepadplusplus.jpg

SixK

[ Edited by SixK 23.05.2014 - 14:51 ]
  • »23.05.14 - 17:51
    Profile Visit Website
    ausPPC
    I've been butting my head against MUI for the last few days.

What's with MUI_MakeObject(MUIO_Label, ... calls nuking balance / weight attributes of the other child objects they share a group with?

Also, it'd be very useful to have an attribute (or value) that would allow an object to span two or more columns or rows in a group rather than having to fake it with tricky, nested groups.

It'd also be useful to have a void object (or empty object or attribute or value or what-have-you) that could occupy a cell in a row or column array.

Edit: I spoke too soon about MakeObject() I revisited an abandoned interface layout attempt for a bit more experimentation and was able to get the result I was aiming for.

[ Edited by ausPPC 28.05.2014 - 11:33 ]
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »28.05.14 - 03:02
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

I would like to be able to choose an icon to use instead of that little flat gray thing when using zipping function.

There has been some talk about making the whole panel-system based on plugins, which would allow you to replace the standard dragbar class with something else.
    But no detailed plans yet, so it might take some time.

Quote:

I would also like to be able to hide it: for example that you can have transparancy (up to 100% if you like) until your mouse is over it.

There is a checkbox to in the "behaviour" tab of panel prefs that will hide the dragbars unless the mouse is over them (enhanced display required).
  • »28.05.14 - 08:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Kronos

Thanks for the info. Would it be possible to add my icon wish until then or would it be a lot of unnessecary work?

Quote:

There is a checkbox to in the "behaviour" tab of panel prefs that will hide the dragbars unless the mouse is over them (enhanced display required).

You mean the "Hide dragbar"? It doesn't do what I asked for. It hides the whole bar, which jumps out when you press on the little gray rectangle. I'd like the whole bar to be invincible until your mouse is over it.

My MorphOS blog
  • »28.05.14 - 12:40
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    So you want to hide the whole panel, not just the dragbar ?

Yeah, something like that is on the rather long todo list.
  • »28.05.14 - 13:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    The whole panel. But since the todo list is long then maybe you can add this too, and take it slow :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »28.05.14 - 13:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metatron
    OpenGL 2.0 support
    W3D support for Radeon 9700 :)
    More games work in fullscreen on Powerbook G4
    Fan control like programm for Powerbooks
  • »30.05.14 - 06:38
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    I now wish sound, touchpad and keyboard support for old G4 powerbooks.
    (the performance is ok, but those annoyances bug me)

Then get the OS to HW that can be bought as "new".
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »30.05.14 - 12:00
    Kronos
    These are HW limitations, the KBD sending the same code for both CMD buttons, and the touchpad only reporting 1 finger.

As for new HW, shrug, sofar nothing really interesting PPC to be seen and a switch to ARM or x86 still seems as far away as it did some years ago.

[ Edited by Kronos 30.05.2014 - 10:28 ]
  • »30.05.14 - 12:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Is the Sam 460 port cancelled? Or is Sam 460 not considered interesting?
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »30.05.14 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Lets see:
    - performance on Peg2 level (optimistic)
    - price 2x of a Peg2 in 2005

Call me unimpressed ;)
  • »30.05.14 - 13:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Is the Sam 460 port cancelled?

AFAIK no, still supposed to come with MorphOS 3.6.
  • »30.05.14 - 16:51
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    ...sam 460 ...

In some cases anyway new HW is more appealing and above 1Ghz HW starts to be interesting (the 1GHz powerbook + MorphOS already "wipes the floor" when compared my newer 1.8Ghz x86 laptop with any Linux OS).

So, I see SAM460 as good enough. Too bad that it is so insanely complex design. As far as I see it, big part of the HW cost comes from complexity that is useless on Amigan desktop. (FPGA, separate 2D GPU chip, ...)

There has been some examples of PPC HW that cost below eur200 to manufacture, and since the last desktop-kind-of design, better PPC SoCs have appeared.
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »02.06.14 - 10:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
    In some cases anyway new HW is more appealing and above 1Ghz HW starts to be interesting

Yes, no matter how "new" the hardware is, it needs to be powerful enough. So why not invest in more powerful & cheaper second hand hardware instead?

Sure, it might not be as reliable (I won't mention some prior "new hardware" projects here) and won't have a warranty (unless if bought from a shop that offers it).

But no worries! You can buy way more than 2 second hand units for the price of one new! :-)
  • »02.06.14 - 15:55
    Profile Visit Website
    bash64
    I started this thread in September of last year and it is still going....
    Unbelievable.
    :-D
    Mac G5 ISight 21" 2.5 gb of ram 233gb hd matshita dvd-r uj-846
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »02.06.14 - 23:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I started this thread in September of last year and it is still going.... Unbelievable. :-D

Considering its generic title, this thread should never get old :-)
  • »02.06.14 - 23:37
    XDelusion
    It is very difficult, if not impossible to use the AROS variant of HDTool to create a multi-partition drive. Also I discovered that AROS support something special that MorphOS does not, and that is the ability to put the MBR within a SFS partition (or something to that effect), which keeps AROS from conflicting with existing Windows partitions. For this reason MorphOS does not read the AROS HDTool created partition correctly. :/

On the other hand, it is possible to create a multi-partition drive for AROS under MorphOS and AROS seems to like it.

What I propose is a means to read and write to AROS created hard drives. Support for MBR within SFS or what ever is going on.

That and of course my usual Puh Der Baer AHI request. ;)
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »06.06.14 - 23:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    relyt
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    I think that Ambient or MUI or whatever it is called needs improvement. There is no dock, no application menu, and I can't even create a drawer on the desktop! I can easily create shortcuts, but also annoying is that I cannot arrange the icons how I want. At first they were arranged messy and It took very much effort to get them organized. A dock is important because I cannot even minimize windows.

Why is MorphOS depend on the right mouse button, when many of your compatible hardware has no right mouse button? Especially ibook, ... and I can say the same for the depend for "right option" and "right control" when the ibook does not have "right option" and "right control". Yes, I am aware of external input device, and some of these are customizable (removing the depend for "right" ) but my Wish is for MorphOS to not depend on this as a default setting, not as a custom one. Also, change the ugly stuffed rat icon for "Shift Click".

Why must applications "meditate"? For AmigaOS legacy support tied to MorphOS? This cannot be accomplished with emulator?! I see MorphOS contains many emulators, MAME, DOS BOX, and several others. They work easily (although I have unanswered questions about how to add software to them). These emulators provide software for MorphOS. But I do not know why Emulator cannot handle AmigaOS software? So this can be added to the wish list: Develop the Q Box or whatever, to provide memory protection. Also request adding the Multi Core Proscessor, because integrating legacy AmigaOS software into MorphOS with the sacrifice of Memory Protection and Multi Core Processors, possibly "scared" potential software development, and is scaring away potential newcomers to MorphOS.

Before somebody says "Legacy Support will be replaced with emulator, and Memory Protection and MultiCore Processings will be developed upon ISA switch." I am going to add my wish to Wish List, to look at unique hardware such as MIPS or ARM. Neither seems possible, so you most likely will switch to the x86, Kindly do not support the Wintel MacBook. (but do continue to support laptops!) instead of Wintel, perhaps support AMD hardware? Is this possible with Acer? But the issue with Acer, or perhaps Any x86 by Wintel or AMD, ... is that it could compete with AROS.

Now for the impossible Wish: for MorphOS to support more than one ISA. to expand instead of switch.

Please don't misunderstand these large amounts of Wish to think I hate MorphOS, because that is not true. I will continue to use MorphOS. Remember this is feedback from a complete newcomer. I have not used Amiga computers before, have disappeared, and returned. No, I am just somebody who hates mainstream bloatware with the "loading" and the "please wait". And before MorphOS and AROS, my favorite was MacOS 9.2.2 (which of course is discontinued, and I am trying to replace it with a more current yet slim OS).

Have a Good Day.

As a new user myself, I also support the idea of an application dock instead of changing window focus or "iconifying" an application window. I realize this is a small, hobbyist, Amiga-like OS, but I feel this change would make the UI even more intuitive.
    UDP packet bar walks a into.
  • »09.06.14 - 22:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    I am not sure if I have made this request before but if MorphOS switches or adds support for X 86 64 I strongly request that MorphOS use AMD and not Intel because Intel is an evil company and for example Intel is sending spam email. I don't remember subscribing but I got another spam from Intel this morning after clicking unsubscribe each time Intel continues to send the spam emails. MorphOS is certainly not an evil company which does not make any sense if MorphOS supports an evil company.
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »10.06.14 - 19:16
    Profile Visit Website