wish list - feel free to expand.
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    I think that Ambient or MUI or whatever it is called needs improvement. There is no dock, no application menu, and I can't even create a drawer on the desktop! I can easily create shortcuts, but also annoying is that I cannot arrange the icons how I want. At first they were arranged messy and It took very much effort to get them organized. A dock is important because I cannot even minimize windows.

Why is MorphOS depend on the right mouse button, when many of your compatible hardware has no right mouse button? Especially ibook, ... and I can say the same for the depend for "right option" and "right control" when the ibook does not have "right option" and "right control". Yes, I am aware of external input device, and some of these are customizable (removing the depend for "right" ) but my Wish is for MorphOS to not depend on this as a default setting, not as a custom one. Also, change the ugly stuffed rat icon for "Shift Click".

Why must applications "meditate"? For AmigaOS legacy support tied to MorphOS? This cannot be accomplished with emulator?! I see MorphOS contains many emulators, MAME, DOS BOX, and several others. They work easily (although I have unanswered questions about how to add software to them). These emulators provide software for MorphOS. But I do not know why Emulator cannot handle AmigaOS software? So this can be added to the wish list: Develop the Q Box or whatever, to provide memory protection. Also request adding the Multi Core Proscessor, because integrating legacy AmigaOS software into MorphOS with the sacrifice of Memory Protection and Multi Core Processors, possibly "scared" potential software development, and is scaring away potential newcomers to MorphOS.

Before somebody says "Legacy Support will be replaced with emulator, and Memory Protection and MultiCore Processings will be developed upon ISA switch." I am going to add my wish to Wish List, to look at unique hardware such as MIPS or ARM. Neither seems possible, so you most likely will switch to the x86, Kindly do not support the Wintel MacBook. (but do continue to support laptops!) instead of Wintel, perhaps support AMD hardware? Is this possible with Acer? But the issue with Acer, or perhaps Any x86 by Wintel or AMD, ... is that it could compete with AROS.

Now for the impossible Wish: for MorphOS to support more than one ISA. to expand instead of switch.

Please don't misunderstand these large amounts of Wish to think I hate MorphOS, because that is not true. I will continue to use MorphOS. Remember this is feedback from a complete newcomer. I have not used Amiga computers before, have disappeared, and returned. No, I am just somebody who hates mainstream bloatware with the "loading" and the "please wait". And before MorphOS and AROS, my favorite was MacOS 9.2.2 (which of course is discontinued, and I am trying to replace it with a more current yet slim OS).

Have a Good Day.

[ Edited by In_Correct 16.03.2014 - 02:47 ]
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »16.03.14 - 09:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    I think that Ambient or MUI or whatever it is called needs improvement. There is no dock

You can creates docks (called "panels") in Ambient Preferences -> Panels -> New Panel.

Quote:

no application menu

There is a Rexx API to add custom menus to Ambient. They can be configured to just launch applications or act in a much more complex way.
    Check CRABUM.

Quote:

and I can't even create a drawer on the desktop!

The desktop isn't a real directory on SYS: like on Windows&co, so you can't create a drawer there.
    But you can create a drawer anywhere else and drag it on the desktop to create a shortcut.

Quote:

A dock is important because I cannot even minimize windows.

All MUI applications's windows (including Ambient's) can be iconified to the desktop, though.

Quote:

Why is MorphOS depend on the right mouse button, when many of your compatible hardware has no right mouse button? Especially ibook

Because MorphOS was created 10 years before on systems which all had a second mouse button :-)
    It's so much faster to handle when you are used to it. Being used to amiga systems' ergonomy for half of my life, it's such a pain for me to use any other system sharing the same mouse button for calling the menu and performing other actions... :) Instead of moving the mouse to the menu bar and clicking the menu button in one single movement, I have to specifically decompose everything and first target the menu bar (or worse: the window's top) before I can click on the menu button.

Using a different button to call the menu and to perform actions also enable menu multi-selection which is lacking in other systems AFAIR.
    Simple keep pressing the right mouse button to let a menu open... and left-click on all entries you want to select. Then unpress the right mouse button.

For people too used to Windows's ergonomy, it's possible to enable menus inside window in MUI preferences, though. Then it's possible to use the left button to fully handle MUI menus. Of couse, you lose multiselection this way.

On ibook lacking even the righ command key, the full MorphOS ergonomy isn't fully adapted right now, though...
    But on systems supporting two-fingers tap to call the menu (such as latest Powerbook), it's much easier to handle without an external mouse.
  • »16.03.14 - 10:43
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    a) MorphOS does have a "dock" (I should know...) just check Ambient-Prefs->Panels
    b) not even MacOS is useable with 1 mousebutton (Jobs was a 100% retard on that issue), 2nd mousebutton is available as a "gesture" on USB-trackpads and via ShiftClick on those crippled by ADB
    c) if an app crashes it crashes and calling it "mediating" is just a way of pointing that out to the user
    d) it's not a rat, it's a broken mouse (see b) ..) and your free to replace it.
    e) a QBox sound nice, but how long would it take to develop, how long till all your apps moved over to those new APIs and how would it seperate itself from being YALD ?
    f) you can't create a drawer on the desktop, cos MorphOS/Ambient has no concept of a desktop-directory (so where should it put such a drwer in the filesystem??). You can offcourse "move out" any directory to be displayed on the desktop.
  • »16.03.14 - 10:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Ambient or MUI or whatever it is called

MorphOS has both, and they are separate entities. MUI is the GUI toolkit, and Ambient is the desktop environment application that makes use of MUI.

> annoying is that I cannot arrange the icons how I want.

This should be possible by snapshotting. Have a look in the icon settings in the Ambient prefs for automatic snapshotting.

> Why must applications "meditate"? For AmigaOS legacy support tied to MorphOS?

Yes, the AmigaOS compatibility in MorphOS entails that there's no memory protection with resource tracking implemented in MorphOS' ABox. So while other modern desktop operating systems can completely remove a crashed program and its allocated resources from memory, MorphOS' ABox can only visually hide it from the user but cannot free the resources allocated by that program.

> This cannot be accomplished with emulator?!

You can run m68k programs in UAE, of course. So if they crash, you just quit UAE and all allocated resources are freed again. Then you simply restart UAE. But this way you'd miss the advantages that come with running the program directly in MorphOS' ABox.
    For ABox-native programs, an emulator wouldn't make sense, obviously. MorphOS would need an approach where new programs run in an AmigaOS-incompatible environment and the ABox runs on top of or parallel to this environment.

> I see MorphOS contains many emulators, MAME, DOS BOX, and several others.

They are available for MorphOS by 3rd parties, but MorphOS doesn't contain them, not even as contributions.

> I do not know why Emulator cannot handle AmigaOS software?

E-UAE can handle m68k AmigaOS software, that's what it's there for after all.

> Kindly do not support the Wintel MacBook. [...] instead of Wintel, perhaps
    > support AMD hardware? [...] the issue with [...] Any x86 by Wintel or AMD

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9433&forum=3&start=6

With MacOSX, isn't it rather "Mactel"? And if it's "Wintel" for you, then why isn't it "WAMD" by the same logic?
  • »16.03.14 - 13:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > how would it seperate itself from being YALD ?

For instance by using Quark instead of Linux as the kernel, I guess :-)
  • »16.03.14 - 14:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @In_Correct

I think the only real edge MorphOS has (besides being so Amigalike we old nerds enjoy so much) is that it's lightweight. Linux is huge nowadays so I don't feel much difference in speed compared to Windows and MacOS. It's a little faster, but not nearly as fast and responsive as MorphOS. This is probably of some real interest to some people (not former Amiga users included) and might attract new users after the ISA shift. Only time will tell though, but I prefer to be an optimist here :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »16.03.14 - 15:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    All kernel supported features would be nice to see used in MOS.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_%28kernel%29

(just wonder if ABox disappears when MOS goes x64...
    or perhaps Abox2 appears with JIT enabled (?janus?)UAE + PPC MOS sw just gets ported to new x64 MOS4 API ...)

Noticed the old "summary":
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=6248&post_id=62220&viewmode=flat&sortorder=1&showonepost=1

Anyway. Interesting to see what comes in the future.
    I hope there is some point where ABox1 is considered "done" and NG starts.

UPDATE:
    My true wish: more co-operation.
    (Perhaps initially the fusion of AROS and MOS efforts on SMP capable 64bit AmigaNGx64... And I would not mind if the community finds a sane way to continue with 64bit PPC as well.)

[ Edited by KimmoK 17.03.2014 - 09:24 ]
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »17.03.14 - 07:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    A giant Wish if for MorphOS, AROS, and Genesi to work together and produce ARM devices for MorphOS and AROS. MorphOS would be target the high end computing and perhaps the most unique laptop ever built. While AROS would be target mobile devices and to dominate and destroy Android.
  • »17.03.14 - 09:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    A giant Wish if for MorphOS, AROS, and Genesi to work together and produce ARM devices for MorphOS and AROS. MorphOS would be target the high end computing and perhaps the most unique laptop ever built. While AROS would be target mobile devices and to dominate and destroy Android.

More like a giant fantasy.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »17.03.14 - 15:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if for MorphOS, AROS, and Genesi to work together and produce ARM devices
    > for MorphOS and AROS. MorphOS would be target the high end computing

For this, Genesi would have to start producing high-end computing devices first. They are at 1.0 GHz Cortex-A9 currently.

> While AROS would be target mobile devices

Why not AROS for high-end computing and MorphOS for mobile devices?
  • »17.03.14 - 18:08
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    I hope MorphOS team stays out of the ARM hype, at least untill ARM is more usefull for desktop than PPC is.

(btw. x64 is closer to cell phone than ARM is close to desktop. So I see no point in ARM at all, actually.)
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »17.03.14 - 18:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

KimmoK wrote:
    I hope MorphOS team stays out of the ARM hype, at least untill ARM is more usefull for desktop than PPC is.

(btw. x64 is closer to cell phone than ARM is close to desktop. So I see no point in ARM at all, actually.)

You can't deny that there are tons of new ARM devices on the market already, and tons more coming in the near future. I agree that ARM can't compete with x64 on the desktop, but many MorphOS users have pointed out that we have almost zero MorphOS applications that demand state of the art desktop computing power at this point in time. Hopefully that will change in the future, but with the extreme limitations (missing programming tools that are available on other OSes) and lack of large numbers of MorphOS developers, it is also unlikely that we will see very many future applications that require more processing power than is currently available with the top of the line ARM processors.

Given the compact size and great efficiency of MorphOS3.x, I have no doubt that "IF" MorphOS is ever ported to the ARM architecture, it will run sufficiently fast for most of our computing needs.

I don't see any huge urgency to switch to ARM or any other architecture, and as I have stated many times before, my wish is for the MorphOS Dev. Team to join with the several talented AROS developers "IF/WHEN" they ever decide to switch to any different architecture. I don't care what they call the joint effort, but would really like for the two teams to join forces, so that each will benefit from the extra available programming skills and available working hours of a larger combined team. I also don't care if this fantasy combined effort is Open Source, or keeps the kind of "free demo and pay once upgrade forever", license structure that MorphOS currently uses.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »17.03.14 - 19:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I've some more "down-to-earth" wishes:

Powerbook - don't know if had been written before: Wish a choosable action if battery is going low! (e.g. allert message at 10%, Shutdown at 3% or something like this....). This would be very helpfull during working on screens, witch does'nt show battery-gauge (like Finalwriter and others)

Old wish: enable change name of icons in information-window (like AOS 3.5...).
    Since MOS 3.4 calling the info-window of icons should set default-icon as active (mean: should produce a xy.info - file). In my case it does'nt work - or are there some special commands to set?

More USB-driver (TV-sticks, USB-Graphiccards, a.s.o.). Probably not a thing of MOS itself - maybe more 3rd party......
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »18.03.14 - 11:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    YAW (Yet Another Wish):

Some sort of bar (optional of course) where you can see all your opened windows in ambient and whatnot, and be able to click on them to reach them. This is one of the few things I like about Windows.

My MorphOS blog
  • »18.03.14 - 12:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Try:
    Right on window's depth gadget.
    Prefs -> Ambient -> Panels -> Viewwatcher.
  • »18.03.14 - 14:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    YAW (Yet Another Wish):

Some sort of bar (optional of course) where you can see all your opened windows in ambient and whatnot, and be able to click on them to reach them. This is one of the few things I like about Windows.

I had something like that many years ago, CxBar2 (aka WonderBar):
    CxBar2_w.jpg
    CxBar2_s.jpg
    CxBar2_c2.jpg
    CxBar2_c.jpg
  • »18.03.14 - 14:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    Nice program!
    But on my G5 has severe crashes even trying to read the Amigaguide docs.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »18.03.14 - 14:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    That looks useful (if it works). Where can I find it?

My MorphOS blog
  • »18.03.14 - 22:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    dekanyz
    I don't know, was it mentioned or not...
    To automate the .info file creation based on the file type.
  • »19.03.14 - 08:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:
    Nice program!

It was an old (from 2002!) program from me, but I doesn't work under MorphOS.
    Even its AmigaGuide file isn't "working" under MorphOS;)
  • »19.03.14 - 13:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    @Igracki:
    I know that it's old (on Aminet there is the 1997 version!) but I made the program to run nevertheless =)
    Well... half window is displayed and some things don't work so it is not really usable and finally it crashes too often :)
    But the idea it's always very interesting...
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »23.03.14 - 08:39
    Cego
    MorphOS needs some improvements in it's look. Dynamic behaviour of elements and more animated actions. It looks too static and too much like an old 90's operating system. Some kind of window manager is a must too, maybe in some way built into the Panel.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »23.03.14 - 09:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I do not agree in all of those points - I don't like these resource eating kliki-bunti OS! I need a OS and desktop to work!
    And I also don't need an additional window-manager.....particulary because we have screens..... no need for so many windows on Ambient-screen. If anyone likes that: there is Windows or Linux or something else.......
    Just my 2 cents....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »23.03.14 - 09:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    I agree with a better window manager but never would I want a bloatware animations and other special effects. I also don't want any visual improvements on "Loading, Please Wait." Philosophy that other operating systems have.

I don't care if it doesn't slow MorphOS. I still do not have time for fancy frills.

I have high contrast skin with Windows. I have all the visual effects turned off with Windows. Mac OS X is much worse ... Scale Effect, Genie Effect, colorful spinning Marble Of Doom, and that is with Tiger. They probably added more animated silliness with subsequent releases. And there is no way to turn them off in Mac OS X.

If these features to MorphOS is added, make it possible to turn them off. (Or even better, keep them turned off by default.) Or even best? Don't add them!

[ Edited by In_Correct 23.03.2014 - 03:39 ]
  • »23.03.14 - 10:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Quote:

Jambalah wrote:
    Nice program!

It was an old (from 2002!) program from me, but I doesn't work under MorphOS.
    Even its AmigaGuide file isn't "working" under MorphOS;)

The guide works in MorphOS 3.6 ;-) There was an uninitialized field that caused {lindent} command to fail. I fixed it just few mins ago :-)

[ Edited by itix 23.03.2014 - 12:06 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »23.03.14 - 11:06