OWB bugs
    hooligan
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    While using OWB for a while I notice that a lot of RAM becomes unavailable, from opening TABs, and eventually closing them all, but one.

So starting off with just about 900MB of RAM it gets to a point that there is basically no RAM left, even though OWB is the only application that has been opened, and at that point there is only one window/TAB left open, but I can't find a way to free back up the rest of the RAM in my Mac Mini that should be available.

Is there some utility that can release this unavailable RAM?

I tried 'avail flush' but that barely releases any of the RAM.

As soon as I close OWB the RAM frees itself back up, and then I have just over 900MB of RAM available again, so somewhere within the program it isn't releasing what it's not actually apparently using - is this a known bug?

You got to restart OWB. BTW recordtime for draining the whole Macminis memory is ca. 10 minutes for me. Kinda renders the browser useless does it :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »17.10.13 - 05:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    You got to restart OWB. BTW recordtime for draining the whole Macminis memory is ca. 10 minutes for me. Kinda renders the browser useless does it :)

The JS Core leaks a lot (on all platforms), but i wonder what you browse to exhaust that in 10 minutes, though. :)

It usually takes me 2 days or so to manage that on my Pb with 1.5GB ram, and that includes Youtube and facebook crap. :)
  • »17.10.13 - 05:29
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:

The JS Core leaks a lot (on all platforms), but i wonder what you browse to exhaust that in 10 minutes, though. :)

It usually takes me 2 days or so to manage that on my Pb with 1.5GB ram, and that includes Youtube and facebook crap. :)

My morning routine is pretty much the same every morning.. some local news sites like www.iltasanomat.fi, www.iltalehti.fi, www.ess.fi and www.hs.fi ... Morphzone.. http://psx-scene.com .. gmail.. my webmail. And thats pretty much it. I suspects the first two news sites are causing 99% of the problem.
  • »17.10.13 - 10:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Fab

Don't forget my bug report :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »17.10.13 - 12:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Fab,
    Quote:

It isn't unusual for me to reboot the browser every 15-30 minutes or so on my G5, pretty typical actually. Possibly the worst offender is ESPN.COM.
  • »17.10.13 - 15:48
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    I followed a link in an old news entry to http://www.warpgate.org . OWB 1.20 crashed with it every time I tried it. I rebooted MOS and went to this site again but before showing anything OWB crashed again.
  • »17.10.13 - 16:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > http://www.warpgate.org . [...] before showing anything OWB crashed

Here OWB shows a login requester (which I cancel) before OWB crashes.
  • »17.10.13 - 20:53
    boot_wb
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    I followed a link in an old news entry to http://www.warpgate.org . OWB 1.20 crashed with it every time I tried it. I rebooted MOS and went to this site again but before showing anything OWB crashed again.

There seems to be an image-related problem when the page auto-refreshes after the login box is cancelled.

Disable 'load images automatically' for that url prevents the crash, which may work ok if you have an account ot log into, but just loads a null page if the login box is cancelled. Source for the page seems to be completely empty.

RMB>Windows>URL settings
    Add "http://www.warpgate.org" and untick the 'load images automatically' checkbox.

EDIT: Looking at the site on the wayback machine, it seems to be long dead, so is probably just a site administrator's login.

Regards

Rich

[ Edited by boot_wb 18.10.2013 - 00:32 ]
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »17.10.13 - 23:16
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    It appears that spoofing as Ipad the memory is draining a bit less than on default setting.. or then it was just coincidence I still have 133mb left and no restarts this morning.
  • »18.10.13 - 04:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @hooligan
    At least, just displaying and scrolling top to bottom of the main page of all your sites doesn't cause a huge leak. I still have more than 650MB left (on my 1GB Peg2) after visiting all the sites you mentioned earlier.

@redrumloa

This site eats 25MB or so here (main page). I'd have a hard time exhausting my ram with it.

@connor / boot_wb
    This is an issue with cancelling auth request in some (rare) cases. It might be fixed in next release.
    It doesn't have much to do with automatic image loading, in any case.

@yasu

your site doesn't even connect at all here (which looks like a SSLv3 issue to me). I wonder how you can even get something displayed there.
    EDIT: i could connect, by setting env var OWB_CURL_FORCE_SSLv3 to 1. But obviously, i can't check whether login works or not, since i don't have an account. However, since it seems to rely on asp crap, i'd suggest you spoof as safari before loading this page, it might help.

[ Edited by Fab 18.10.2013 - 12:11 ]
  • »18.10.13 - 11:05
    Profile Visit Website
    boot_wb
    Quote:

@connor / boot_wb
    This is an issue with cancelling auth request in some (rare) cases. It might be fixed in next release.
    It doesn't have much to do with automatic image loading, in any case.

Good to know the source of the problem. Very strange that disabling automatic image loading prevents the crash occuring on this particular site.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »18.10.13 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    > Fab wrote:
    > @redrumloa
    >
    > This site eats 25MB or so here (main page). I'd have a hard time exhausting my ram with it.

If you want to test it, open a story with a lot of user comments and scroll through the comments. Finish that story, do the same with another reading the comments, wash rinse repeat. The every story/comment section eats some number of RAM it never gives back. Granted I usually have multiple tabs open so other sites could be contributing, it just seems ESPN's Facebook (plugin?) comment section may be the worst offender (seat of pants observation).

[ Edited by redrumloa 18.10.2013 - 20:59 ]
  • »19.10.13 - 00:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Actually, I take back the ESPN being worst comment. Now that I am paying more attention, investorshub.com is the worst!

http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=93114678

That is a message board post. Go there and scroll the whole page down and up, then click NEXT to read the next message. Wash, rinse repeat. I spend a lot of time on investor hub and it just gnaws ram. You will also probably see an annoying pop up if you are there for long :-p

If you are bored, you can look at Yahoo Finance homepage.

http://finance.yahoo.com/

Mangled formatting!
  • »19.10.13 - 01:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Fab

I can connect without problem. I have "ignore SSL problems" setting though.

I tried your suggestion of spoofing as Safari and it works fine now! No problems at all. I will remember this trick for the future :-)

My MorphOS blog
  • »19.10.13 - 09:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    BTW I am *not* complaining. The ram leak is a minor nuisance. OWB fricken rocks!
  • »19.10.13 - 14:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Here's another bug:

When I use the PM system on this page OWB eats up the CPU (reaching 100%) during a good 10 - 20 seconds. I don't have this problem with my Ibook 1,33 GHz, but on my much faster G5 2,7 GHz. Fab, do you know why?

My MorphOS blog
  • »22.10.13 - 14:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    jPV,
    Quote:

Yeah, I must admit that sticking with IBrowse would be quite a challenge nowadays :)

I couldn't imagine! When I came back to MorphOS a few years back, OWB is probably the one app that kept me back for good. Not having a competent browser in this day and age is a complete show stopper. I find very little lacking about OWB and in many ways better than the browsers on my PC.
  • »23.10.13 - 22:17
    connor
    When I use OWB and look into the bug SBar I get a lot of messages like this:
    MUIP_AskMinMax : bogus min=9822/22 def=9822/22 max=10000/22 mmok=y obj=0x26bfef80(titleclass)MorphZone
    MUIP_AskMinMax : bogus min=9822/22 def=9822/22 max=10000/22 mmok=y obj=0x26bfef80(titleclass)MorphZone

Why do they come up?
  • »07.11.13 - 17:12
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    When I use OWB and look into the bug SBar I get a lot of messages like this:

Why do they come up?

That's just debug from MUI (title.mui tab object), and it's not a bug in OWB. Consider it harmless.
  • »07.11.13 - 17:18
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    OK. But has it to be written hundreds of times in a row? I think this makes the purpose of a debug log quite useless because it should contain the important information on call but not flooding the logfile.
  • »07.11.13 - 17:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Not sure if this is a bug or what, but I was using ebay with OWB, to pay for something and it initiated an error requester that read as follows:

Unable to open 'https://checkout.payments.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?XOProcessor&item=xxxxxxxxxxxx&transactionid=-1&quantity=1&rev=-1&rsp=true&'.
    Error 60: Peer certificate cannot be authorised with given CA certificates.

Obviously the item number has been "xxx"'d out, but that was the wording of the error - does this mean an SSL certificate was not read correctly, or what?

I should also add that this was the second time I had this issue today.

I closed/quit OWB, and re-started it (without re-booting) and the same error requester was prompted to the front of the OWB screen, so I actually rebooted the whole system, and then re-started OWB, and it went through the whole process without prompting this issue, and I paid for the item without any unusual issues.

Just thought FAB ought to know, in case it needs looking into.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »09.11.13 - 01:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was using ebay with OWB, to pay for something and it initiated an error requester that
    > read as follows: [...] does this mean an SSL certificate was not read correctly, or what?

"Some SSL websites show a certificate error requester!
    -> Maybe they're not certified. You can either update "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file, or ignore SSL errors by enabling "Ignore SSL errors" in Settings/Security.
    "
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/owb-morphos-1.20.readme

Have you enabled this setting?
  • »09.11.13 - 02:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    "Some SSL websites show a certificate error requester!
    -> Maybe they're not certified.

Are you saying (quoting from the v1.20 readme.txt file) that ebay are not going to be certfied for SSL certificates?

The error requester came up twice on one day, possibly just on ebay, and I re-tried the page link twice, and got the same error requester. I quit OWB, and re-started it (without-rebooting) and got the same error requester on the same link ... BUT when I rebooted my MorphOS system, a couple of minutes later, if that, the error didn't come up again.

So it sounds like it is more likely to be an OWB issue, or some other interraction with a program that had brought about the prompt of the error requester, I'm not saying it was, just that it might have been the cause, and then not even a problem within OWB as such - I just don't know, but I really doubt that it was caused by ebay not being SSL certified - as that sounds highly unlikely.

I was only mentioning this to bring it to FAB's attention, in case it's an OWB issue - as I don't know what caused it.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    You can either update "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file

So where do I get the latest MorphOS compatible version of "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file from?

Would it be ... http://curl.haxx.se/download.html as that is now showing version 7.33.0, and OWB v1.20 shows version 7.28.1 of "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file, I just wouldn't want to place a file in the OWB folder that isn't going to work with it.

I have the "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file that is dated the 13-April-2011 - which came with OWB 1.20, so I take it this is not the latest/most up to date file?

However, if "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file is just a text file that any browser that uses the "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file then I'll download it as soon as you let me know.

I know there were issues with "curl-ca-bundle.crt" in earlier issues with OWB, and I reported "www.parcel2go.com" as being one site I could not access with OWB, but I think that was an "asp" issue, but in someway connected with SSL, that has since been fixed, so of recent everything has run smoothly - a compliment to FAB's great work, and for that matter anyone else on the development team for OWB.

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    ... or ignore SSL errors by enabling "Ignore SSL errors" in Settings/Security.
    "
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/owb-morphos-1.20.readme

Have you enabled this setting?

No, I had seen the option when I first started using OWB, but thought it would be better to see SSL error messages in case a certificate was out-of-date rather than let the browser just ignore it, if that option would be what it would enable, though I am grateful to you for bringing it to my attention.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »09.11.13 - 23:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Are you saying (quoting from the v1.20 readme.txt file) that ebay are not going to be
    > certfied for SSL certificates?

I don't know what the status of eBay with regard to SSL certificates is or is going to be.

> I quit OWB, and re-started it (without-rebooting) and got the same error requester on
    > the same link ... BUT when I rebooted my MorphOS system, a couple of minutes later,
    > if that, the error didn't come up again.

Just a guess, but maybe eBay uses different certificates on different servers and OWB was directed to another server when you tried minutes later, which opposed to the former server has a certificate that's in OWB's certificate bundle.

> it sounds like it is more likely to be an OWB issue

This may well be. I guess only Fab can tell.

> where do I get the latest MorphOS compatible version of "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file from?
    > Would it be ... http://curl.haxx.se/download.html as that is now showing version 7.33.0,
    > and OWB v1.20 shows version 7.28.1 of "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file [...]. I have the
    > "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file that is dated the 13-April-2011 - which came with OWB 1.20, so
    > I take it this is not the latest/most up to date file? However, if "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file is
    > just a text file that any browser that uses the "curl-ca-bundle.crt" file then I'll download
    > it as soon as you let me know.

It's not about MorphOS compatibility but about OWB compatibility. Furthermore, 7.28.1 and 7.33.0 are version numbers of cURL, not specifically of the certificates bundle. cURL, which is the component using the curl-ca-bundle.crt file, is built into the OWB binary and can't be updated by anyone but Fab. The curl-ca-bundle.crt file is user-updatable, though. You may want to refer to this older thread (which is about Fab's OWB on OS4, though) for instructions and discussion on how to update the curl-ca-bundle.crt file:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34010&forum=32#625552

> I reported "www.parcel2go.com" as being one site I could not access with OWB,
    > but I think that was an "asp" issue, but in someway connected with SSL

It was first suspected to be an SSL issue, but it proved to have nothing to do with it:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=9174&start=10

> that has since been fixed, so of recent everything has run smoothly - a compliment to
    > FAB's great work, and for that matter anyone else on the development team for OWB.

Parcel2Go now working is more a result of Nadir's work than of Fab's.
  • »10.11.13 - 09:01