Questions for New MorphOS users
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    realstar
    Here are all the known ways to scroll the page on OWB:

1. use the scrollwheel on mouse
    2. click, hold, and drag the scroll bar itself to move smoothly/continuously up/down
    3. click inside scroll bar container to move one page at a time
    4. double click your scrollwheel and then move mouse to get a freely panning directional scroller
    5. keyboard arrow keys
    6. hold shift and press arrow up down to go one whole page at a time
    7. click or click'n'hold on little arrows (slow)

any others...? It is a little odd that you can not jump directly to a position inside the scroll bar
    to go direct to that absolute spot in the page somehow. I usually just grab the scrollbar and move
    the mouse quickly to a position I want to see on a longer page. Otherwise I use the scrollwheel.

Continuously clicking inside scroll container is useful if you want to see what's between where
    you started at and where you are heading to without skipping over everything in between too fast.

[ Edited by realstar 12.07.2013 - 23:57 ]
  • »13.07.13 - 06:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > often there are only the options of Back, Reload, Watch video, Download
    > video - even when there is NO video to download such as on this page
    > [...]
    > there are obviously graphic elements on a page, but a right mouse click,
    > when hovering over them just offers the basic menu again of Back, Reload,
    > Watch video, Download video.

I don't think I ever encountered video options for non-video files with OWB. That sounds strange.

> on this page it does not offer the option to download the background,
    > or save the background image, which I find strange, as all the other
    > browsers I use, I seem to think, do offer this option.

True, OWB doesn't seem to offer a context menu for images loaded via CSS.
  • »13.07.13 - 08:18
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > often there are only the options of Back, Reload, Watch video, Download
    > video - even when there is NO video to download such as on this page
    > [...]
    > there are obviously graphic elements on a page, but a right mouse click,
    > when hovering over them just offers the basic menu again of Back, Reload,
    > Watch video, Download video.

I don't think I ever encountered video options for non-video files with OWB. That sounds strange.

That sounds like contextual menus configuration for getVideo script. If user hasn't added them himself, it's probably from Ultimate/Chrysalis pack.
  • »13.07.13 - 10:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

realstar wrote:
    Here are all the known ways to scroll the page on OWB:

1. use the scrollwheel on mouse
    2. click, hold, and drag the scroll bar itself to move smoothly/continuously up/down
    3. click inside scroll bar container to move one page at a time
    4. double click your scrollwheel and then move mouse to get a freely panning directional scroller
    5. keyboard arrow keys
    6. hold shift and press arrow up down to go one whole page at a time
    7. click or click'n'hold on little arrows (slow)

8. hold scrollwheel and move the mouse (I use this a lot, old 3 button Amiga habit from IBrowse and other MUI programs)
    9. pageup and pagedown keys
    10. space and backspace to jump pages (I use space a lot, it's big and easy to push)
    11. home and end to jump beginning or end of the page

[ Edited by jPV 13.07.2013 - 12:45 ]
  • »13.07.13 - 10:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    and on this page it does not offer the option to download the background, or save the background image, which I find strange, as all the other browsers I use, I seem to think, do offer this option.

I think you can save every image (including the background image) from a web page with WebInspector. Enable it from OWB settings and then you can RMB click page and select Inspect Element. Then select Resources and browse the web page tree to the Images.
  • »13.07.13 - 11:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    jPV,
    Quote:

I think you can save every image (including the background image) from a web page with WebInspector. Enable it from OWB settings and then you can RMB click page and select Inspect Element. Then select Resources and browse the web page tree to the Images.

Yes that works, it's a bit fiddly but it generally enables what I was after - strange way to do it, but hey, I'm happy enogh with that solution - Thanks jPV

By the way, the other Video contextual menu options are related to the Get Video scripts I believe, but I don't get watchable video from YouTube on my Mac Mini 1.5GHz even with the scripts - unless I'm doing something wrong.

The functionality of the mouse repeating it's signal once clicked and held down maybe a remnant of the way the Amiga used to operate, and hasn't been changed under MorphOS, but the PC and I seem to remember the Mac have this functionality.

I've found it useful, when I'm using the mouse on Windows or a Mac to be able to go quickly back to the top or bottom of a scrolling window to just click at the very top or bottom, and hold the mouse button down.

Of course the other suggestions when using OWB of using page up/down, or space bar, or backspace key are also worthy contenders, but don't answer the question as to the feasability of getting the mouse button to be able to handle the scroll bar in the way I've mentioned. Thanks all for your suggestions
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »14.07.13 - 01:54
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:

By the way, the other Video contextual menu options are related to the Get Video scripts I believe, but I don't get watchable video from YouTube on my Mac Mini 1.5GHz even with the scripts - unless I'm doing something wrong.

Check if you have the latest getVideo script installed. Youtube changes its format every now and then and scripts must be adapted. getVideo scirpts are probably in your SYS:C/ directory... compare them to files on this archive: http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/getvideo

If it isn't about that, then you might not have mplayer in path or wrong path defined for mplayer in getVideo.cfg file or something like that... anyway, that latest script works just fine here with Mac mini 1.5GHz... I often use that now when YouTube is bitching again... getVideo works always while embedded player may act...

Quote:

I've found it useful, when I'm using the mouse on Windows or a Mac to be able to go quickly back to the top or bottom of a scrolling window to just click at the very top or bottom, and hold the mouse button down.

Of course the other suggestions when using OWB of using page up/down, or space bar, or backspace key are also worthy contenders, but don't answer the question as to the feasability of getting the mouse button to be able to handle the scroll bar in the way I've mentioned. Thanks all for your suggestions

I don't quite get why it would be easier to click on certain (small?) area there to get back to top... rather than dragging it with scrollbar itself (then you can adjust the speed and easily stop if there's something interesting while going :)) But well.. I guess there's certain small point for more options, but I've quite tired nowadays to have that accurate aiming with mouse.

[ Edited by jPV 14.07.2013 - 11:01 ]
  • »14.07.13 - 09:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the other Video contextual menu options are related to the Get Video scripts
    > I believe, but I don't get watchable video from YouTube on my Mac Mini 1.5GHz
    > even with the scripts - unless I'm doing something wrong.

Just do as told there in order to do nothing wrong:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=3&topic_id=9130&start=41

GetVideo is an alternative to this for the rare situations where the preferred method won't work.
  • »14.07.13 - 10:42
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    Other two ways to scroll page up and down are:
    alt + space bar (scrolls a page down)
    alt + shift + space bar (scrolls a page up)
    Moving cursor on scroll bar container and press left amiga + left alt will act as you are clicking inside the container and will scroll pages up or down (depending on mouse position) till scroll will reach cursor. If you press left alt before left amiga the resize double arrowed line will appear but it will be possible to move scroll bar anyway.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »14.07.13 - 11:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    jPV,
    Quote:

Check if you have the latest getVideo script installed. Youtube changes its format every now and then and scripts must be adapted. getVideo scirpts are probably in your SYS:C/ directory... compare them to files on this archive: http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/getvideo

I don't quite get why it would be easier to click on certain (small?) area there to get back to top

I just checked, and I only had version 0.30 of GetVideo installed, so I've updated to 0.32 now. I also am not sure the first time I went on You Tube that I'd subscribed to the HTML5 feature, so maybe the cookie wasn't allowing the correct functionality for OWB. Anyway, I've been back on there and some videos do seem to run quicker, but I didn't get any of the recent films to load, such as Cloud Atlas, does this film download/work for you?

The mouse scrollbar thing is sometimes quicker at the moment, but of course there is always the Ctrl + Home / End option that takes you straight back to the top or bottom of the page, that I also use, but I just wondered why the mouse scroll - that I use on Firefox and Safari, etc. do not work with OWB. It's only a minor point as there are so many other options available, I just wondered if it is possible to get the mouse to trigger this action, that's all.

[ Edited by NewSense 15.07.2013 - 03:43 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »15.07.13 - 03:36
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I just checked, and I only had version 0.30 of GetVideo installed, so I've updated to 0.32 now. I also am not sure the first time I went on You Tube that I'd subscribed to the HTML5 feature, so maybe the cookie wasn't allowing the correct functionality for OWB. Anyway, I've been back on there and some videos do seem to run quicker, but I didn't get any of the recent films to load, such as Cloud Atlas, does this film download/work for you?

Can you give direct url for that video? There are many Cloud Atlas related videos.

HTML5 subscription doesn't affect to getVideo, it's fully separate 3rd party script not depending any OWB settings. It only affects to those two context menu options you get when right clicking over page or link. It should work with all videos except age restricted ones.

OWB itself should work without HTML5 subscription too, but there has been recently annoying changes with it and I'm having some problems playing videos too, but you should get them playing embedded if you have updated youtube scripts for it: http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/scripts/

You should see embedded player starting and sometimes changing to different player... and if that doesn't work, try clicking View without Flash 18 under the video...
  • »15.07.13 - 05:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    OK so I thought I would try MORPH OS again as I had tried it years ago and haven't done anything with it since.. So I download the iso, load it to my macmini and off we go! (Install went without a hitch so nice job there..) Internet browsing works OK so I thought I would see how to set it up to use with my Windows network... So I run a google search and click on the first link that comes up... And it is a link to my OWN POSTED QUESTION asking about this from 2009... 4+ years and still no useful information was given and this is why I gave up on MorphOs in the first place...

:-(
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »15.07.13 - 13:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Accessing Windows shares is exactly the same as doing it on an Amiga.

Can you tell us what particular bit are you struggling with so we can help you.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »15.07.13 - 13:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    As a new user I have absolutely ZERO idea how to go about this and that is why I have asked for specific documentation on how to do it. None thus far has been identified..

I can't give you specifics because I am a fresh brand new user and have no idea where to even start...
    (Not every new Morph OS user is an expert Amiga user.)
  • »15.07.13 - 14:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Google is your friend.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=683287&postcount=2
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »15.07.13 - 14:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Google is your friend.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=683287&postcount=2

Pretty GUI with shiny buttons: http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/SMBMounter :)

edit: More info and screenshots here: http://www.robthenerd.com/show.php?sect=projects&sub=smbmounter&page=screenshots

[ Edited by Intuition 15.07.2013 - 14:47 ]

• »15.07.13 - 14:44
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Excellent! I will try these when I get home from work...

(I will say though that this thread asked what would make the "Out of Box Experience better" and telling folks "Google is your friend" does not add to the thrill.. ( I have checked Google thanks.. Just not alway easy to figure out EXACTLY what needs to be searched for. For example, I do know what Samba is, but not everyone that is new to Morph OS does so it makes it kind of tough to search for it.)

Regardless, thanks for the info and I will see how it goes tonight.
    Thanks!
  • »15.07.13 - 17:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    There is no official support for MorphOS only the combined wisdom of it's users.

Best things to do when stuck are:

Google search for 'keywords site:morph.zone' (minus the quotes)
    Google search for 'keywords site:amiga.org' (minus the quotes)
    Search on http://mos.aminet.net or http://morphos-files.net or failing that http://m68k.aminet.net
    If none of the above helps then start a new thread here or on amiga.org spelling out your problem and the exact steps you have already taken if any.
    For quicker answers you can hop on the IRC channel #morphos on freenode.net

The answers to most things are usually already out there but sometimes you have to dig a bit further than normal.

[ Edited by Intuition 15.07.2013 - 17:23 ]

• »15.07.13 - 17:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have asked for specific documentation on how to do it.
    > None thus far has been identified..

Specific documentation to be found on this very site:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9400&forum=9&start=4
  • »15.07.13 - 19:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    I forgot to mention that your first port of call should be to click the Library link at the top of this page.

• »15.07.13 - 20:29
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    And if you can't figure it out, PM a friend before you post a question.
    Otherwise, someone may point out a resource you missed.
    A lot of answers to basic questions about how things work can be explored by playing around with the utilities included with the OS.
    I was not an Amiga user, and just toying with things taught me a lot.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.07.13 - 02:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    jPV,
    Quote:

Can you give direct url for that video? There are many Cloud Atlas related videos.

http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=awxUXU-Owug

I've updated one of the FAB scripts for YouTube - but the others were up to date. Playback still does not work, and one occasion when I tried to view this link, it stated the preview was viewable in my region (UK), but on other pages there was no mention of this. I have also had a look at the #1 preview for Cloud Atlas and that also was unviewable, but when I downloaded it using the script downloader then it was no problem watching it, very smooth.

Quote:

You should see embedded player starting and sometimes changing to different player... and if that doesn't work, try clicking View without Flash 18 under the video...

I can see the option sometimes to change the video to Direct Video, or Throttle, or Sound, etc. but I rarely get a video to work at a watchable speed, and I have never seen the View without Flash 18 option - where would that be located?
  • »16.07.13 - 04:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    And if you can't figure it out, PM a friend before you post a question.
    Otherwise, someone may point out a resource you missed.
    A lot of answers to basic questions about how things work can be explored by playing around with the utilities included with the OS.
    I was not an Amiga user, and just toying with things taught me a lot.

@outlawal2

Feel free to PM me if you need help. I might not always know the answers but I'm more than willing to try and help anyone who is struggling.

• »27.07.13 - 02:25
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    You have already been invaluable, Nik.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.07.13 - 02:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    You have already been invaluable, Nik.

Oh you are far too kind Jim. :embarrassed: :)

• »27.07.13 - 02:43