Questions for New MorphOS users
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Newsense,

If you read this thread more carefully, you would see that sacc-user did not download and burn his own CD of MorphOS3.x, but was handed an CD by someone else (maybe me), so he did not know what the official website looked like initially.

@Jadacaps,

I haven't exactly bolted away from writing, or updating any of the MorphOS documentation, but would better describe it as never stepping up to the plate (to use an American Baseball term), to take on that responsibility.

Other than being incredibly lazy and drugged with pain relievers, or doing things for my children and grandchild when ever I can, I also feel inadequate in my knowledge of MorphOS to take on such tasks. But those are pretty feeble excuses to avoid doing the boring work of updating, or creating new documentation.

Maybe some day I will contribute something to the MorphZone.org Library that is useful to new users.

@Intuition,

As Jadacaps already suggested, I also think some of the most useful documents would be simple step-by-step "How-To" documents, for users who don't like following traditional software documentation and end up asking the same questions that have been previously asked by other new users. In addition to MUI and Ambient suggestions that Jadacaps made, may I suggest answering common questions about how to adjust settings and scripts for the Odyssey web browser, how to integrate E-UAE so that it auto-starts when certain game icons are double clicked (like RunInUAE works I guess), how to adjust settings and scripts for M-Player, or some other media player so new users can enjoy watching videos, or listening to their music on MorphOS. Another useful How-To would be to explain what Grunch is and how to best use it to download and install many applications and utilities, and keep them updated.

Maybe these few examples already have simple How-To documents created for them as I have not searched for them, but it is these kinds of things in general that I think are useful to new users.

Truthfully, I have not been using MorphOS the last year, but hope to use it more, now that version 3.2 has better working wireless networking available and my 2nd PowerBook, that I used to run MacOSX on, is down for repairs. I tried getting online via wireless yesterday, but could not connect to my router and will try again today, as I know it works from setting it up at last months CommVEx show in Las Vegas. I'll go search through the documentation and wireless threads here for hints that might help me connect via WPA, or WPA2.

[ Edited by amigadave 18.08.2013 - 12:59 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.08.13 - 20:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> why open a readme file on a system that it was not intended for?

>> You should know the answer to that question by now.

> I do, check the website for the OS, and check what readme information is on the site
    > as to hardware requirements

Sigh. Please do yourself a favour and read sacc-user's postings which are the basis of this current discussion on the MorphOS.readme file. He didn't know the website for the OS and is of the opinion that proactively using the Internet shouldn't be required to learn about the hardware requirements (unless information on the CD that are easily accessible also on Windows point to a web resource).

> Why would you download an installation CD ISO/image for an operating system
    > without knowing if you have the correct hardware to install it ?

Besides the fact that he didn't download the ISO but was given a physical CD, you should direct that question at sacc-user, not at me. If you read his postings you will find that he said he didn't even know that MorphOS-compatible Macs came with different brands of graphics cards, among them also incompatible ones.

> The readme should be titled "MorphOS3-CD-readme.txt"

This would at least remedy the current suffix problem on Windows. I'm still in favour of keeping the .readme file and adding an HTML file with the same content.

> we are spending too much time discussing this point, and I am not 'dipping my toes in
    > the water' on this subject any further

You are spending too little time reading up on the premises for this discussion, and as long as you keep ignoring what sacc-user wrote it's indeed better for you to leave this subject alone.
  • »19.08.13 - 00:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > inability to play modules with HippoPlayer

This is said to work:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9604&forum=3&start=33
  • »18.10.13 - 14:36