• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    My answers:

1) How did you hear about MorphOS?

Even after I stopped using Amiga altogether in around the year 2000 I was a frequent visitor to the Swedish User Group of Amiga's weekly meetings. There I saw the Pegasus I with an old version of MorphOS. I wasn't too impressed back then. Later, in the beginning of the last year I was wondering what had happened with Amiga lately and heard about a "user friendly, first time users choice NG Amiga". That was the AmigaOne 500. I was sold on the idea of having a modern Amiga that could do the everyday things I was using computers for. So I bought one. And it was the buggiest things I've seen. It couldn't be on for more than 15 minutes before crashing. And the boot up time was even slower than my old windows laptop, and I was using an SSD (!). It turned out that the memory connectors was faulty and I had it replaces. It helped, but not a whole lot. The system was still slow, buggy and crashed all the time. But the thing that annoyed me the most was the OS4-users kept telling me that this was expected and something I had to live with. I became so disappointed that I sold it for almost half price so I could just get rid of it. To this day, I have a hard time forgiving being fooled into buying that piece of crap and that so many people just told me to "suck it up".

Instead, I turned to AROS that I've read some about before buying my AOne 500. I bought an Acer Aspire One ZG5 and installed AspireOS on it. I was very happy with this for about a year. I of course had heard about MorphOS too, but wasn't really that interested yet into checking it out (remembering the old Pegasos version). But before last Christmas I saw a youtube video about NG Amigas and became interested when the person started to explain why he liked MorphOS the most. I decided to try it out and bought an Mac Mini. I played with it for a while, but wasn't hooked so I stopped. Then, some time at the beginning of March, I felt a little disillusioned about AROS after some nasty flame wars at a forum. And when the guy who made AspireOS told the community he was going to quit I wanted to take a break from AROS (he later returned to AROS, when I started to feel a little interested again). I started to try out MorphOS again and this time when I tried it out more thoroughly I started to really like it.

Since then, I've bought an Powerbook (a little disappointed of all the things I can't do with it (yet)) and a Powermac G5 (that I haven't had time to play around with).

My personal opinion is that I prefer AROS for what it can become, but I like MorphOS better for what it actually is.

2) When did you first try MorphOS (version, hardware), and what made you decide to give it a try?

See 1.

3) What was/is your 'ususal OS' (ie one that you're most accustomed to) and what did you find most confusing / frustrating when first trying out MorphOS?

Windows. First XP, then Vista and then 7.
    There are a lot of small tweaks that is often refereed to, but almost never explain how to. The most confusing part must be that a lot is taken for granted that people understand, but if you haven't used an Amiga for 10 years you do forget a lot. The most frustrating thing must be to pass that first step so you can actually start being able to do things on your own.

4) Were there any simple concepts that you just 'didn't get' until explained by a friend/asked in the forums (eg right-clicking for menus, finding system settings, etc)?

A whole lot. Like how to change the top bar's small programs. It's not self explained that you do it by going to the far right and right click. Especially since so many other things are changed in settings. But sooner or later, you do get the hang of it.

5) What limitation or annoyance frustrates you the most (Or is there anything you are expecting to work which doesn't work)?

I think my Mac Mini works the best as of now since most things works well there. There are still things I want that doesn't work on PB and PM G5. Like screen resolution on PB and louder sound on PM. But I guess these problems will be taken care of sooner or later. I just want the things that are supposed to work better to work better :-)

[ Edited by Yasu 22.06.2013 - 23:02 ]
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »22.06.13 - 22:01
    Profile Visit Website