• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bash64
    1) How did you hear about MorphOS?

Tried to get back into Amiga because Windows had gone into the shitter.
    Bought an efika.

2) When did you first try MorphOS (version, hardware), and what made you decide to give it a try?

I bought an efika because someone in the Amiga club (the club with no Amigas. Its all Windows nowadays) mentioned it and it was el cheapo.
    I now have a Powerbook G4 5,9 and a Powermac 7,3 G5 on the way.

3) What was/is your 'ususal OS' (ie one that you're most accustomed to) and what did you find most confusing / frustrating when first trying out MorphOS?

a) I got into Amiga about 1997. Was a C64 software developer freak until then. Had a high end 2500/040 decked out tower.
    I left Amiga about 2000 for Windows. No hope of new hardware.

b)Most confusing is the Ambient desktop. Not bad, but trying to do things that workbench used to do is rather frustrating and there is NO documentation.

4) Were there any simple concepts that you just 'didn't get' until explained by a friend/asked in the forums (eg right-clicking for menus, finding system settings, etc)?

Sure, like the fact that there is a new folder and assign for PPC called MOSSYS:
    I kept putting 68k stuff in there. Hell, it had a libs folder too. I put 68k in both /libs and mossys/libs for good measure.

5) What limitation or annoyance frustrates you the most (Or is there anything you are expecting to work which doesn't work)?

In order to leave Windows I needed a replacement app for everything I did normally on Windows. Finding a P2P client was the biggest @#$@#% I have ever encountered. None of the clients worked except for MLDonkey and it was too slow. Finally figured out why (the interface has a DEEP learning curve) and got it to run just like windows. The latest patch even handles torrents well. Getting torrents to work leads to another issue in that SFS is insufficient. You need to learn to install and use IceFilesystem which SHOULD COME WITH THE OS BY DEFAULT. Period. Getting OWB to act like firefox and getting used to it was a bit of a bear also. I also did not know about Grunch (the MOS package manager) until recently and having to manually download all of those MUI classes will make you pull your hair out. I still don't have an email client that can handle html internally. I have tried simplemail and my personal favorite from days gone by known as YAM. I love new icons but it doesn't seem to install right. Didn't discover Ambient panels till recently. MAN, that would have been helpful to know about. Another bugger is the extensive hdconfig options. In os 3.1 you had hdtoolbox (i think that was the name), it was much simpler, but this goes back to needing docs. Not using the SFS filesystem has saved me a lot of headaches. I use IceFilesystem now for data drives only. I guess I could complain about Ambient all day long but there would be nothing to complain about if there was some docs somewhere. Noobs can read contrary to popular belief.

:-D :-D :-D :-D

[ Edited by bash64 22.06.2013 - 17:01 ]
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »22.06.13 - 22:00
    Profile Visit Website