• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

vox wrote:

I have to buy OS 4.1 sadly, that doubles software price.

I thought you already have OS4?

Quote:

Also, I have found cheap MacMini, to test MOS while I wait. How suitable is this for current MorphOS and how can I triple boot MOS, PPC Linux and MacOS X?

It will work.

Here is a list of the Mac Mini's that MorphOS supports: List of G4 Mac Mini's

Any of these will work just fine. The one you have there is obviously the slowest one. That was sold as a lower end model compared to the higher end 1.42GHz model (third from top).

Then at some point (27 Sep 2005) Apple silently upgraded the specs of these two, so that the lower end model got a 1.33GHz CPU instead (second from the top in that list) and the higher end model got a 1.5GHz one (the last one in the list).

The latter is the most wanted one to use with MorphOS, not only because the CPU (after all it doesn't differ much from the 1.42GHz model), but because this is the *only* model of the four available that has 64MB VRAM.

You can use MorphOS with just 32MB VRAM as well, but depending on *how* you use it and *what you do* with it, you may find it's too limited. A remedy can be to to turn off enhanced display (at least on some screens), etc, etc, to reduce video memory consumption, some tips about this can be found here or by searching this site. You would IMHO gain a lot to keep searching for a 64MB VRAM model, but if the price is really low on that 1.25GHz mini and you mostly want to test MorphOS, then why not, go ahead. :-)

I don't think you will want to run the latest PPC Mac OS on this one. It was a long time since I bothered with OSX on my Mac Mini 1.5GHz/64MB computer, but I recall I found it very sluggish and slow (of course it should be even worse on a 1.25GHz/32MB). The version before was noticeably faster. Possibly the version before this was even faster yet, I don't know? I only use the Mac Mini for MorphOS now, single booting.

I don't know about Linux, I see no reason to use it on the Mini so I haven't looked into it. But it's absolutely possible to do dual-booting (I did that for a while) or even triple-booting on the Mini.

:-)

(Edit: Ah, I see Andreas had already provided a link to a link to some info regarding triple booting. Read that, it's good info! :-))

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma 24.01.2014 - 10:20 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.01.14 - 10:17