• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    >Because it's too limited and awful to code with. Name us a couple relevant apps that are more than simple prefs editors or frontends? I can only think about Aweb itself... And maybe that OS4 dev tool. Anything else? Weird, isn't it?

Well, I wouldn't call a program like AmiArcadia a simple prefs editor or frontend, it's AFAIK the most feature-complete emulator existing on MOS. With the possible exception of ports of generic multi-host emulators such as MAME.

>Is ReAction even "official"? I really wonder how one can consider 3.5/3.9 official. Piracy is also declared an official AmigaOS standard since they included a pirated TCP/IP stack then?

So someone made some libellous and presumably false allegation against H&P. Odd that it never went to court then if there was any substance to it. If they were a bunch of pirates do you really think they would have been running the Amiga No Piracy campaign? Various such allegations are always floating around the community in regard to most Amiga-related companies. Should I therefore believe the allegations floating around about Genesi stealing the AmigaOS 3.1 source code? According to your logic, I should. (Perhaps this explains the lack of OS3.5/3.9 support in MOS...) But I prefer to wait for hard evidence before jumping to conclusions.

H&P were licenced by Amiga to produce these as official OS versions, so of course they are official. Anyway if one component of an OS is found to be in breach of some licence/contract, that doesn't mean the entire OS is suddenly unofficial. Eg. to use an example from a different platform, DoubleSpace technology in MS-DOS 6.0. According to such logic MS-DOS 6.0 is therefore unofficial...

>Yeah, Please, ask Hyperion to release the source code of Reaction. I don't know if Hyperion wants some cash for it but maybe 500$ will be ok considering its complexity.

I guess compared to something overly complex and bloated like MUI it's simple, yes. I doubt Hyperion would want to sell a key technology like that to their main rival. However it maybe be possible to acquire ReAction source from H&P or from the original developers. (In fact perhaps H&P has uploaded it to some warez site, after all they are just a bunch of pirates supposedly.) Frankly there seem to be only minor improvements in the OS4 ReAction compared to the OS3.9 ReAction.

[ Edited by Minuous 13.12.2013 - 21:40 ]
  • »13.12.13 - 12:26
    Profile Visit Website