• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

I remember that Fab said he wanted the abbreviation to stay the same (as opposed to what you seem to remember)

You are completely wrong, I also remember this. And as usual you seem to miss the whole point by a mile or so, you always fail to see (or at least understand) the *message* behind the text (and no, not only in my posts).

Changing a name of an application in order to simplify references to it in relation to completely separate applications, and to avoid confusion and unnecessary explanations as soon as someone mentions it (or the other application with the same name), becomes a completely pointless exercise if you use the abbreviation *as a name* (instead of the proper name) as soon as you make references to it, especially so when the abbreviation equals to both the old name and the name of the other application you wanted to distance from.

Typing "Odyssey" isn't particular difficult, it's not a particular long word, it's not difficult to remember. There is *no need* to use abbreviations at all on that one, instead you could use the proper name directly, especially since the proper name has the benefit of avoiding confusion with the other, different application, which pretty much was the point in bothering with a new name in the first place. By using the abbreviation "as a name", instead of the *proper* name (regardless of version number, that's irrelevant), brings us back to square one, where people has to invent prefixes like "MUI-OWB" or "MOS OWB" or "OWB for MorphOS" to tackle the confusion, and it will always leave a few more or less ignorant people in the belief that "OWB on MorphOS" is a fairly useless browser since this is how "OS4-OWB" is.

That's all!

Now please don't make a mountain out of a molehill on this, Andreas!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.06.13 - 14:31