• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > "MUI-OWB" as they persist in calling it for some reason

I think this reason is rather easy to explain:
    It's "OWB" because that's the abbreviation of both "Odyssey Web Browser" (OWB v1.14+) and "Origyn Web Browser" (OWB v1.13 and below, which the OS4 version belongs to being v1.9). That should explain the "OWB" part. The "MUI" part is not hard either. Just "OWB" (as well as "Origyn" btw.) wouldn't offer any nominal distinction from the Reaction-based Origyn Web Browser ("RA-OWB"), hence the "MUI" prefix for the MUI-based version. If you now put "MUI" and "OWB" together, you end up with "MUI-OWB". Simple :-)

AFAIK at least one of the reasons (probably the biggest reason) to the renaming of the browser Odyssey (06-Aug-2011) was to avoid the confusion with "the other" OWB's.

The OWB available from Joerg Strohmayer for example, is the Sand-Labs "Origyn", while "Origyn" was effectively no longer present (at least not in a significant way) in Fab's browser, even *long before* the actual name change (for all I know, this could very well be true for the v1.9 (ported to OS4) and earlier as well)! This comment is from 03-Jul-2011/v1.12:

"And the original OWB from sandlabs/pleyo is nothing else than a SDL backend for gfx/events, a different build system and a reorganization of the platform-dependant files. The SDL implementation was obviously dropped to get something usable and "fast". And since OWB project is dead, i synchronize webkit myself.

So in practice, i almost don't have anything from the original OWB project anymore, since WebKit is a very active project where lots of things change very frequently (including build system)."

So while there wasn't any "Origyn" left in Fab's browser, people would still mix it up with OWB (as in Origyn Web Browser) because of the name.

"let my state out that i dont have anything agenst owb on os 4,1 i have itm i use it.
    i love it.
    but morphos versions of software doesnt run on os 4.1 as fare as i remember there stopped make owb for os 4.x and still make owb for morphos with make it a news for morphos,
    wasnt ther talk about that the morphos version clould run youtube and that the coder didnt want to do an os 4,x port"

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33308&forum=28#604168

"some times i do live under an rock.
    i didnt think that owb for morphos would have any relation to os 4.x version.
    i call timberwolf the final solution becuse its the most coverd full scale browser that will bring amiga standart up agen.
    i dont understand it ether the morphos os like 1.? and os 4.x is 3.X but morphos version is still an better solution then the os 4.x ver, is."

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=33308&forum=28&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0#604206

Joerg Strohmayer's browser (or any other Origyn Web Browser) is *not* the same as Fab's browser, even though they shared the name. The unofficial "MUI prefix" (i.e. "MUI-OWB", or "MOS-OWB" or "MorphOS OWB" or "OWB for MorphOS" for that matter) never really helped and suggests that the only/main difference would be a Reaction vs. MUI GUI, or an OS4 build vs. a MorphOS build, that it's basically the same good old OWB, totally hiding/neglecting the fundamental differences between them, that they are two entirely different programs.

Calling the browser Odyssey (as I thought was its official name since 06-Aug-2011), plain and simple, nothing more, nothing less, would easily have cleared up any confusion. Also when talking about the existing version or potential new versions of it on OS4.

But the OWB-confusion still goes on, and as soon as "OWB" is mentioned it has to be explained (completely unnecessary) that more than one browser has this name, it has to be pointed out what browser is really discussed, and that there really is a difference between them...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37801&forum=14

...and IMHO it doesn't help that even Fab himself seems to prefer calling it OWB. In a way it makes me wonder why he bothered with a name change in the first place, when apparently the only change he had in mind was going from one "O" to another "O" before the trailing "WB" and letting the confusion and mixups continue? Seems like it was nothing more than a bad joke, some kind of play with words?

But I can easily live with the OWB name as well, I don't really mind. At least *I* know the difference, and with the price tags of OS4 systems it's not like I'd risk coming anywhere near OS4 or Joerg Strohmayer's OWB, so I won't even have to use some made-up prefixes to differentiate the OWB name...

;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »23.06.13 - 09:16