• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

BSzili wrote:
    Isn't their MUI implementation partially MUI4 compatible already?

AFAIK some OS4 community developers produced a few components themselves for MUI 3.x (at an unofficial third party level) required to to facilitate an Odyssey (or "MUI-OWB" as they persist in calling it for some reason) port to OS4. I think that's a bout it?

Official MUI is not freeware or open source. As an OS developer wanting it in your commercial/proprietary OS, you can't "just get it". It costs money, as it did for the MorphOS (even back in MUI 3 days). IIRC Stefan Stuntz actually did put an offer to Hyperion of licensing MUI at some point (like almost a decade ago), but it was turned down.

"Reaction" is what the OS4 people wants, and they (most of the key, core OS4 developers) has at many different times over the years been sniping at MUI, trying to picture it as much worse than Reaction, etc. So it's very clear they didn't want to pay for it, they were not interested in the first place, they generally didn't like it, they simply didn't want it.

AFAIK Stefan Stuntz pretty much left the Amiga world a *very* long time ago, but then he made a re-entry and started to work on MUI 4 for MorphOS 2.0. AFAIK MUI 4 is a huge overhaul compared to MUI 3, and a lot of things happened to MUI internals (if I remember correctly what was written back then). Probably some money were involved from the MorphOS team for this "return of the Stuntz". And I can be wrong about what I am about to say now, but I think I recall reading somewhere that MUI 4 is now developed by the MorphOS team themselves, that it has been merged in the MorphOS source code repository?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »22.06.13 - 07:43