If...we were to discuss a real upgrade to MorphOS
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Well Cinnamon writer ought to be alpha or beta soon.
    And as soon as I get him my MDD, Eric wants to try to port Libre Office.

Word processing and web browsing - that takes care of 90% of my needs.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.03.13 - 17:29
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    boot_wb
    One more whilst it's fresh in my mind:

- Addition of metadata into Ambient lister columns

When viewing (esp media files) in Ambient lister mode, it would be useful to be able to display/sort by track number, album name, etc.
    www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk

UI: Powerbook 5,6 (1.67GHz, 128MB VRam): OS3.1, OSX 10.5.8
    HTPC: Mac Mini G4 (1,5GHz, 64MB VRam): OS3.1 (ZVNC)
    Audiophile: Efika 5200b (SB Audigy): OS3.1 (VNC + Virtual Monitor)

Windows free since 2011!
  • »04.04.13 - 12:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    nemesiswar
    I think something like Libre office woulf be important to get to MorphOS.

On the ARM vs. x86 discussion here are my 2 cents.
    X86 days are numbered! its just a matter of time before OS X is ported to ARM according to rumors and Windows RT even if today its useless it will become standard within a couple of versions. So both of the biggest comptuer giants with thier businiesses aimed towards the common man are going ARM i beleive its a maximum of 10 years before x86 is absolulete. Another rumor to support this theory is that Intel are gonna start to make ARM chips and with all the cool stuff Intel made to x86 chips they are bound to make some pretty famn nice improvements to thier ARM chips aswell.
    So i vote for ARM for MorphOS future.
    Power Mac G5 2,0 Ghz registred
    IBook G4 1,2 Ghz registered
    Mac mini G4 1,5 Ghz unregistred
    Power Mac G5 Quad awaiting support
  • »06.04.13 - 09:00
    stephen_robinson
    Well... anyway...

I'd like to see multiprocessor support, and at least 4gb of memory support on PPC before all this crazy talk about processor change.

At least, that's what I think.
  • »08.04.13 - 19:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Another rumor to support this theory is that Intel are gonna start to make ARM chips

Why "rumor" and why "start"? Intel has been developing and manufacturing its own ARM chips since 1998:

"The XScale [...] consists of several distinct families: IXP, IXC, IOP, PXA and CE [...]. Intel sold the PXA family to Marvell Technology Group in June 2006. [...] The XScale core is used in a number of microcontroller families manufactured by Intel and Marvell, notably:
    - Application Processors (with the prefix PXA). [...]
    - I/O Processors (with the prefix IOP)
    - Network Processors (with the prefix IXP)
    - Control Plane Processors (with the prefix IXC).
    - Consumer Electronics Processors (with the prefix CE).
    [...] In April 2007, Intel announced an XScale-based processor targeting consumer electronics markets, the Intel CE 2110. [...] On June 27, 2006, the sale of Intel's XScale PXA mobile processor assets was announced. Intel agreed to sell the XScale PXA business to Marvell Technology Group for an estimated $600 million in cash and the assumption of unspecified liabilities. The move was intended to permit Intel to focus its resources on its core x86 and server businesses. [...] The acquisition was completed on November 9, 2006. Intel was expected to continue manufacturing XScale processors until Marvell secures other manufacturing facilities, and would continue manufacturing and selling the IXP and IOP processors, as they were not part of the deal. The XScale effort at Intel was initiated by the purchase of the StrongARM division from Digital Equipment Corporation in 1998. Intel still holds an ARM license even after the sale of XScale; this license is at the architectural level.
    "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XScale

In summary, Intel has only sold one single of its four XScale chip families to Marvell in 2006 and moreover, it has developed after that (in 2007) a new one. The IOP, IXP und CE families are listed as active in Intel's product portfolio even today:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/hwsw/hardware/iop
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/hwsw/hardware/ixp-4xx
    http://www.intel.com/design/celect/2110/

What's new though (for some months) is that Intel is supposed to start using its fabs to do the manufacturing for fabless ARM chip developers, i.e. to produce ARM chips for other companies beside their very own ARM chips.

> they are bound to make some pretty famn nice improvements to thier ARM chips aswell.

That's news to me. Do you have a source for this? And what does "thier ARM chips" mean, their own XScale chips or the ones to be produced for fabless companies?
  • »08.04.13 - 20:35
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TomKeric
    I am unaware of the details of this, or if claims above are correct or not - But seen from a bird perspective, I think it is a shift on its way where desktop computing, to a big extent, will move to ARM, likely Cortex A57/A53 in a few years. It would be good if MorphOS was an alternative OS for ARM in 1-2 years from now. I hope for that route a lot more than X86. I believe it is better with power efficient solution for a light OS. :-D
    -If you've never failed, you've never tried -
  • »08.04.13 - 20:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think it is a shift on its way where desktop computing, to a big extent, will move to ARM

Either that, or desktop computing will stay on x86(-64) while computing will move more and more away from the desktop :-)

> likely Cortex A57/A53 in a few years.

Cortex-A57 maybe, but scrap Cortex-A53. It's much too weak for the desktop.
  • »08.04.13 - 21:31
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    TomKeric
    @ Andreas I actually agree with everything you said above 8-)
    -If you've never failed, you've never tried -
  • »08.04.13 - 22:46
    boot_wb
    One for Kronos:

- Panels: Ability to add commands to context-menus for panels
    I'd like to be able to 'get version information', and 'open containing directory' (and whatever else may spring to mind) when right-clicking on individual icons.

Windows free since 2011!
  • »27.04.13 - 12:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

I'd like to be able to 'get version information', and 'open containing directory' (and whatever else may spring to mind) when right-clicking on individual icons.

Good one!
    And relatively low hanging fruit.
    I use these two functions all the time under Windows.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »27.04.13 - 14:10
    boot_wb
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    boot_wb,
    Quote:

Good one!
    And relatively low hanging fruit.
    I use these two functions all the time under Windows.

Speaking of low hanging fruit, having the 'print screen' button launch grabber would be a natural choice. :-)

This can be accomplished in a maximum of 2 easy steps for USB keyboards (no idea how PS/2 or ADB keyboards are handled)

1) Ensure that the print-screen button is correctly mapped*.

2) Set it up as a hotkey to launch grabber** (either directly or by executing a script.for extra fruitiness).

Note that this hotkey will not be 'global' - it is an Ambient hotkey. You will therefore have to have Ambient as the active window ( eg by clicking on the desktop or an Ambient browser window) before pressing 'print screen' will launch grabber.

-----------------------

* Ensure that the print-screen button is correctly mapped.

- rmb>settings>system>USB>Devices
    - Double-click the entry for your keyboard in the devices list.
    - In the new window double-click the HID entry in the list of interfaces.
    - In the new window select the 'keyboard' tab. then tick the checkbox for 'track incoming events' (bottom right). WARNING: Be careful not to mess around in this interface - you can completely remap all the keys on your keyboard and make it unusable.
    - Press your 'print screen' button. This should highlight the 'print screen' entry in the left-hand pane - the right hand pane shows what the currently-selected button in the left-hand pane is assigned to - probably 0x7f (ie bugger all) in this case.
    - Wtih 'Print Screen' highlighted in the left-hand pane, select entry "0x6c unprintable sequence" in the right hand pane.
    - Click 'Save' (to save it for just this keyboard) or 'Save as default' (to save it for all keyboards). Then clsoe the window with the 'interfaces' list. Then click 'Save' on the USB preferences window.
    - Now make yourself a nice relaxing cup of tea, that's the hard bit done.

-----------------------

**set up a hotkey to launch grabber

- RMB>Settings>Ambient>Keyboard
    - Click the 'Add a Hotkey' button - a new entry will appear in the 'Custom Commands Hotkeys' list.
    - Give it a name (eg PrtScr) and in the second box press your 'print screen' button - the string 'prtscr' should appear.
    - Click the 'Edit Command' button next to the new entry - a new window is opened;
    - Click the 'ADD' button, select 'AmigaDOS' and enter 'sys:applications/grabber' in the command line THEN PRESS ENTER.
    - Click Save.
    - Drink tea.

-----------------------

As an alternative to launching grabber directly from the hotkey, a simple script can be used instead to prevent multiple instances of grabber being launched.
    Everything is the same as above, except instead of entering 'sys:applications/grabber' in the hotkey command line enter 'execute s:prtscr'.

Save the following as s:prtscr :

Quote:

; checks if magicbeacon is installed and sets notify system
    if exists SYS:MorphOS/Data/MagicBeacon/MagicBeacon
    set Notify "sendbeacon"
    else
    set Notify "echo >CON:200/200/480/300/PrtScr/AUTO/WAIT/CLOSE"
    endif

status >NIL: COM "grabber"
    if NOT WARN
    $notify "Grabber is already running..."
    quit
    endif
    cd sys:utilities
    run >NIL: grabber

EDIT: Updated to correctly map print screen button.

[ Edited by boot_wb 11.07.2013 - 10:47 ]

Windows free since 2011!
  • »23.06.13 - 13:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Since I'm a noob, can someone point me to somewhere where I can read up on what the Abox and the Qbox is?
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »02.07.13 - 11:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > can someone point me to somewhere where I can read up on what the Abox and
    > the Qbox is?

http://via.i-networx.de/docs/glimpse_2_MorphOS_p1_V1.0SE.pdf

...or older:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20020626181353/http://www.morphos.net/overview.php3
    http://web.archive.org/web/20020626180435/http://www.morphos.net/kernelinfo.php3
    http://www.pegasos.si/files/morphos_in_detail.pdf
    http://www.ggsdata.se/Pegasos/Bilder/morphos_in_detail.pdf

...and most recent from a MorphOS Team member:

""Qbox" was a name/fantasy invented by Thendic over 10 years ago. [...] A misunderstanding of how MorphOS works"
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38397&forum=2&start=40#722046

...and put into perspective by a former Thendic employee:

"I think Bigfoot is pulling your leg there :-) I was the guy who wrote the articles about Quark and the Qbox. It was a bit vague but it was certainly the idea to build something like that."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38397&forum=2&start=60#722227

Edit: added quotes and links

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 17.06.2014 - 15:06 ]
  • »02.07.13 - 13:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    MorphOS non-gui version should be next. Think of the speed!!!
  • »02.07.13 - 14:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Here are two functions I'd like:

"Add icon"; it copies icons from the def_icon drawer to the program not having an icon in the right clicked menu.
    "Copy icon"; copying icons from one direction to the other while keeping the information intact in the original icon, so no information gets lost.

My MorphOS blog
  • »02.07.13 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Here are two functions I'd like:

"Add icon"; it copies icons from the def_icon drawer to the program not having an icon in the right clicked menu.
    "Copy icon"; copying icons from one direction to the other while keeping the information intact in the original icon, so no information gets lost.

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/CopyIcon_MOS_0.9 :)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »02.07.13 - 18:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @Andreas_Wolf

@Intuition

Yes, I'm using that but it doesn't work all the time. Besides, I think this function should be built in into MOS/Ambient.

My MorphOS blog
  • »02.07.13 - 18:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    @Intuition

Yes, I'm using that but it doesn't work all the time. Besides, I think this function should be built in into MOS/Ambient.

You could try adding the CopyIcon command to a hotkey in the Keyboard section of Ambient Settings.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »02.07.13 - 19:19
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Yasu,
    Quote:

Well, you can easily do that with mimetypes, that's why they are editable, you have all the power in your hands :) I have added "Add icon" option for directories in Ambient for example, you can select multiple dirs and add icons for them all at once. Here's how I've configured it: http://jpv.wmhost.com/pics/ambient_addicons.png

Quote:

You remember that you can drag new icon image to icon information window to achieve that? Of course it's few clicks more and only one file per time, but still.. works for add icon thing too.

[ Edited by jPV 03.07.2013 - 10:29 ]
  • »03.07.13 - 07:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @intuition

Makes sense, but as I said: these functions does make sense to have built into the system. At least to me.

@jPV

I have to look into that! It does sound like a useful solution :)

I'm not really sure what you mean with "icon information window". How does this work?

My MorphOS blog
  • »03.07.13 - 11:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    I'm not really sure what you mean with "icon information window". How does this work?

If you right click to some file and select "Information..." from the popup menu. Or press amiga-i from keyboard when you have file selected. The window with tooltypes and other properties. There's image of its icon and you can click it to get file requester or drag&drop any image over it to replace it. You can replace the old icon image with some picture or with some other icon and then click save to get original image replaced.
  • »03.07.13 - 11:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    Thanks! I will look into this when I get a little time :)

My MorphOS blog
  • »03.07.13 - 23:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    @jPV

I finally got around to the "add icon" thing, and it works nicely. At least with drawers, since that's the icon it copies.

Would it be possible to make a version that looks into what file it is and add the correct def_icon over the file? Like mpeg icons for mpeg files etc.

My MorphOS blog
  • »10.07.13 - 20:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Yasu wrote:
    Would it be possible to make a version that looks into what file it is and add the correct def_icon over the file? Like mpeg icons for mpeg files etc.

There's always a way, but that might get more complicated... and there aren't icons for everything. BTW. why would you like to make icons for data files anyway? Isn't it enough having their automatic default icons or thumbnails? And doubleclicking/menu actions with mimetypes.

I'd think you'd want mostly add icons for executable files... that's easy to add...

And one option would be that it would give you filerequester and user can always select the icon he wants. Default dir could be deficons path. It's easy to add too.
  • »11.07.13 - 05:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    It would be nice to add icons for files you do wanna see, like pictures, movies, documents and such. Instead of having to settle for seeing no files or all files.

My MorphOS blog
  • »11.07.13 - 11:40
    Profile Visit Website