• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > natural selection isn't the only force involved in evolution.

Yes, that's why I mentioned two more forces: sexual selection and mutation.

> Mankind's rate of evolution has definately speed up. We've taken a couple of
    > million years to reach our current state, but the last three homonid species
    > (of which we are the sole suvivor) developed in only a few tens of thousands.

From a cluster of cells to what we are now (= very big genetic change) in couple of million years, and during the last part within this time frame from the first Cro-Magnon to what we are now in 40,000 years (= very small genetic change). I can't see any acceleration there.

> Human populations remained quite low until the development of what we
    > consider modern civilization. Then our population explodes.

That's cultural evolution, not biological evolution. Seems we're talking past each other.

> What's next? The scary prospect that we control how we develop. Enhancing or
    > altering or own genetic makeup

Yes, that's how cultural evolution (genetic engineering) could lead to an alteration (but not necessarily acceleration) of the biological evolution in the future. But that's not (legally) happening now, thanks to ethics and appropriate laws.

> Look at how much our technology has improved in only the last few. hundred years.

That's cultural evolution again, not biological evolution.

> Would our ancestors from 500 years ago recognize us.

Definitely. We are a bit taller than them on average (there's no scientific consensus on the reasons), and we get much older than them (due to cultural evolution), but the rest of the physique is practically the same.

> Would we be able o comprehend mankind's state 500 years from now.

Physical state (biological) yes, state of mind (cultural) less so.

> we evolve.

True, in both the biological and the cultural sense. But I stand by my opinion, which is: While cultural evolution has been accelerating without doubt, biological evolution has come to a slowdown (not stagnation though) due to natural selection playing only a minor role today thanks to the cultural evolution.
  • »04.03.13 - 00:06