• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Crumb,
    Quote:

what do you think about enabling the use of >1.5GB as some kind of ramdisk?

It is not just "enabling". Bigfoot stated somewhere (cannot remember where) that adding more (AFAIR a total of around 200MB would be possible) memory to the system memory on e.g. PowerBook would cause a lot of work and is not worth the result.

On G5, where you can have 8GB this would be a better result, but with mostly no use. I could imagine that adding the upper 2GB of the 4GB memory is possible, but I don´t think it is so easy for the upper 4GB.

I have no clue about the modes and internals of PPC cpus, but I know that a 2 or 4GB RAM disk is not useful for just showing the amount in the title screen and point on it.

I placed a tool named "Fakemem" in Aminet last century. It has the same effect without any effect and additional work. :D

Talking about this is not useful at all.

Same about the use of the second CPU. Of course one could create some library to support the additional core as e.g. coprocessor, but what for? What if two applications want to use it? It gets very quick very over complicated without any use.

Also there is currently no software using it. Wouldn´t it be more useful to get real multi core support, where the system maintains applications and cpus to get max out of the given hardware, instead of having a core waiting for an application asking for it?

Wasting time with writing crappy hack solutions is not what anyone should want. Such crap always fires back some day. In this case once the system will support real multi core, some hack must be provide to make the old core hack using software at least source compatible again. So you start a clean fresh OS with some crappy hack. Not very funny.

I know that from a users perspective all these "use as RAM disk" and "use as coprocessor" sound nice and easy, but they aren´t in any way. They are just shiny fake solutions, which lead into huge problems.

It is better invest the limited developer time into something useful.

Geit

[ Edited by geit 28.02.2013 - 14:52 ]
  • »28.02.13 - 13:36