• MorphOS Developer
    geit
    deka,
    Quote:

Could you tell me, which app require more, than 1.5GB?

Well, OWB eats slowly all memory, but this takes hours before you need to quit and restart. But you are right. I am using the RAM disk massivly and never had any issues.

The main problem is that any future expansion of MorphOS needs to break compatiblity anyway. Multi CPU usage, memory protection, resource tracking, virtual memory, more than 2GB of memory, 64 bit CPUs, different CPU (ARM, x86, ...), dropping all those workarounds and unnneeded functions which only exist due backward compatibly. Each of those points will more or less break compatibly.

The best solution would be to implement all of those points during that process and break compatility just once.

By breaking compatiblity I mean PPC and 68K. Most software is available in source or the developers are still around and maintaining their software, so PPC is no big deal. 68K is no big deal, too as you can use UAE, which is able to hide the emulation quite well. In the result we get an even quicker and clean (code wise) OS, with all modern features, which still feels exactly like the MorphOS we are using now. I think this should be the next future goal as we´ll reach the end of the flag pole by supoprting the G5.

Wasting time in keeping existing stuff alive is a waste of time. This will just cause more bloated workarounds for e.g. memory expansion without any real progress. The hardware base is there and a current MorphOS and a e.g. NG MorphOS could even be installed on the same hardware. Just the used Software is not compatible to each other in such case.

Geit
  • »28.02.13 - 11:12