• Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Roland
    For starters: I was around when the first A1000 was launched, I used a pimped up 500 later a 1200 until work and school required me to go Intel. With pain in my soul, I saw how commercial organizations destroyed Amiga and cashed in on the brand and IP. So these things below are not written by someone that wants to troll but someone that really believes this needs to be done. I can imagine, people with strong idea's might oppose mine, thats great, but stay polite :)

The future of Morphos is unclear. Although, I did not do any reseach on the population of Amiga/Morphos users, I suspect most of them to be older. Younger people should get involved. We also need more developers. I don't know how many developers there are, but its really a small amount compared to Linux / Mac or Windows. If there are 10 hardcore developers of MorphOs ( I mean the Core OS) I applaude all of them, because its a hell of a job to develop and maintain code, handle users with wishes, while you also have your own private views on things that need to be done.

Besides some obvious things like a decent network stack and the ultimate transition to X64 (old hardware dies and dissapears) before that time, the group of potential developers can be bigger.

The MorphOS compiler is based on GCC? How about porting QT? A world of KDE apps then become available. I sometimes write small (10.000+ lines) simple programs in FreeBasic (it has pointers and objects, so yes, you can hang your self in the real c/c++ way) and that compiler is written in C and compiled with gcc. So why not port that? I would love to give that a shot, the FB developers are (I believe, not sure) willing enough to give some support, but I do need lots of support in the MorpHOS world. There are more languages on this planet and going c only keeps out other developers. I find c/c++ simply to ugly to work with.

You can bash M$ any way you like, but their visual studio has one advantage: You can create the bones of an application by drag and drop and then add the code that does the work. Apple also has such a thing. Why write a line of C code that describes a window while you can draw it on a canvas and add all the required components by drag and drop? Make programming easier, more modern, then writing c in vi (really syntax colors in textpad are not that big jump forwards). Eclipse?

There are open implementations of Java, its missing.

I personally would love to run MorphOs all day long, if I had a decent spreadsheet, text editor, torrent downloader, NZB downloader, par2 repair, unrar etc and SAMBA for connecting to M$ based systems. I live in email but any mail client that does not offer a comparable functionality as Outlook is not usefull for me, because all my meetings are registered in Outlooks agenda and synced to hotmail and gmail, so I can have them in any system.

The architecture of the Amiga operating system is what kept it alive, but somethings are missing. Using scout to kill a task that doesn't respond anymore? The multitasking of Amiga OS, was great, task management was a crime. A simpleUnix like Kill -9 [PID] that simply removed the entry from the tasklist / freed up allocated memory / released all handle's would be nice.

At the risc of war: Both Morphos and Amiga OS are commercial products, fighting in the same niche. How about working together instead of against each other. You don't need to compete on everything, build a common kernel, with drivers and hardware support. Build on that kernel what you want and how you want. It works in the Linux world, so why not in the Amiga world. In my Windows PC I run WinUAE with Scalos. Why not work together there? Since DOPus Magelan code is available, there is a chance for creating a new desktop environment.

I know the Amiga's didn't do right mouse button clicks, MagicMenu added that. Ambient has it in a limited way, if MysticView is the application with focus, I expect to right-click with my mouse and to see the menu of MysticView but that doesn't happen if I do that somewhere on the desktop. It was something I got with MagicMenu.

And so, I could go on, but I bored you enough: in short, better development tools, better end-users tools for day-2-day use, adoption of some modern GUI concepts.

Cheers
  • »24.02.13 - 09:18