• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

would you please run the nbench benchmark on your Efika MX with hardfloat enabled, so the comparison becomes more fair?

I know that making and maintaining these charts is your hobby Andreas, so please don't hate me for not bothering with this. I don't have the systems at hand, and both Efika MX (I don't know if Genesi still has any left in stock) and Sam 440 has lost its relevance anyway. My point wasn't about raw cpu power either, but about the impact of the clever use of integrated accelerator controllers for performance boosts, and the amount of real life usability you get in comparison to its low price. I think I paid $129 (or so) for my Smarttop, and it's a magnitude more usable than this guy's $1,500 AmigaOne 500 (yes I know, that's 460 and not 440, but anyway). No need to fall back to using Ibrowse for speed, Firefox works great, no need to recode videos to a different codec/resolution to be able to watch them, the Efika MX CPU happily decodes and renders most codecs in 720p HD (it actually can decode 1080p streams but not render them at a 1080 HD resolution screen (only 720) due to a stupid bottle neck in the CPU that was removed in the i.MX53 version). All this on a rather bulky Linux distro that doesn't come close to MorphOS's lean elegance.

Quote:

Today's fastest ARM CPUs are still slower than the PPC970 CPUs in most (i.e. 2.0+ GHz) G5 desktop machines.

Yes I know, but this is a fact that may very well be changing as we speak, at least if we speak slooooow enough... :-P ;-)

(But it happened quite some time ago if you consider the *entire* meaning of my sentence that you quoted: "Today's fastest ARM CPU's kicks any old PPC based desktop/laptop's butt, especially so when you add the price tag to the equation" ;-))

Quote:

> we have yet to see the peak of Cortex A9 generation of CPU's

The world is already turning to Cortex-A15 performance generation of ARM CPUs with the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 (Krait core) and just recently the Apple A6 (custom core). I know that there're vendors behind the curve with their first Cortex-A9 chips still to come to mass market (like Freescale with i.MX6), but I doubt somewhat that they will be able to beat current Cortex-A9 chips in performance.

This was my point exactly, far from every chip manufacturer settles with just the bare core reference design provided by ARM, many consider that to be merely a starting point and pour a lot of engineering into their own chip design to pimp it up significantly in various ways. We have seen that many times with older ARM core designs, and this will of course continue in the future as well with new core designs. :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.09.12 - 12:01