• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Zylesea & Jim

I'm going to quote myself here because of pure laziness:
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60755

"Judging from what people have requested over the last decade, and also judging from what seems to be the ambition from some OS developers, "Moving Forward" may at some point mean the incorporation of some of the "modern" OS features, like true SMP, true MP, 64-bit, etc. And since this *will* require a clean-slate break from the Amiga legacy anyway (it must happen if you decide to go there), with a clearly defined border line marking the "before" and "after", the seemless "Amiga compatibility" scrapped post that line, starting anew, I must ask the question:

At that point, why continue the PPC path?

If you are to break the "Amiga" anyway, why not do it on some other architecture. My point is that even ARM seems to beat PPC. Performance wise, and from a desktop Point of View, x86 is even more attractive.

Isn't a platform migration the natural thing to do at that point? There is no "Power" in PowerPC, not in the year 2012 and beyond! ARM and/or x86, but not PPC!

Right?
    "

A clean slate would be required to incorporate features like these and make an architectural jump in a "fairly easy" way. This will probably also mean handling 68k apps in a similar way as AROS does (by their way of using UAE together with various scripts or whatever, to automatically/seamlessly run each app in it's own little "UAE box" (meaning 1 app = 1 emulated Amiga computer)).

I think this approach would be totally acceptable for a 4.x branch of MorphOS, incorporating all those new interesting core OS features (more addressable memory, true SMP, true MP, 64-bit, etc, that simply *can't exist* in a legacy Amiga context without breaking the Amiga part of it (no matter what some people claim)), and do an architectural jump at the same time.

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »24.09.12 - 01:40