• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Everyone already knows that my preference is that the MorphOS Dev. Team continue perfecting MorphOS3.x on PPC only hardware and that they release MorphOS3.x for one or more G5 Mac models, before they decide to move on to some other architecture.

This thread is about WHEN the switch to a different architecture happens, what would you prefer the MorphOS Dev. Team to do? Would you prefer that they just do a straight port of MorphOS3.x to x86 and/or ARM hardware? Or would you prefer to have the MorphOS Dev. Team to break with the old limitations of the Classic Amiga hardware and create a new MorphOS3.x (or 4.x) that has more modern features? Like maybe memory protection, or SMP, or greater than 1.5gb RAM capability? Set up the new MorphOS to include what ever the Q-Box was supposed to have and just run older Amiga and MorphOS apps boxed in a virtual environment, or some other means that allows some backward compatibility, while allowing modern features that will benefit MorphOS in the future.

I know that the Q-Box was abandoned some time ago, but I don't remember, or understand the reasons why. I don't need them explained to me either. A simple "Yes" it is possible for a future MorphOS version to break away and provide some of these more modern features, or "No", the decision was already made years ago that MorphOS will never be anything other than what it is now, no matter what platform it is ported to and running on.

Maybe the Team decided that it is not worth the work and effort to break backward compatibility and create the Q-Box, or something different. Maybe they decided to never make MorphOS into more than it currently is, and prefer to just make it the best it can be in this form instead.

I don't know, maybe there was some announcement made in the past that I don't know about. Sorry I haven't researched it more thoroughly before starting this thread. I am just curious to know what the users of MorphOS3.1 on this forum site think, or what they already know with regard to future plans. Curiosity you know.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »21.09.12 - 00:29