How to get at NAS disk to work with MorphOS?
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

sonter wrote:

Im a bit of a beginner on MorphOS so im not quite sure what the ARexx interface is? a quick search through Grunch told me it was installed though

Adding the line WaitForPort WLANMNGR_GLOBAL didnt help either

Many MorphOS applications and other software components communicate via such an interface. It basically means that the user can control the software from a script/commandline (or from another software component). NetStack has a large interface that allows you to control and get information plenty of stuff so it is surely possible to check if your NAS is up and happy. However, I don't have a ready solution for you...
  • »09.06.13 - 17:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bash64
    SMB and CIFS are not two different things.
    They are the same thing, for all intensive purposes.
    CIFS is just the newer version of SMB.
    After a certain point SMB was renamed to CIFS.
    I handle SMB all day long at work.
    Admittedly SMB is much older and is mostly 95/98 compatible.
    Place the NAS in CIFS mode and you should be able to mount with the amiga copy of smb.
    You can run into issues though if you choose the wrong mode.
    You do NOT want NTLM v2. This requires SMB 3.something to work. Stick with NTLM v1.
    "User" or "share" mode should be ok.
    Do not use anything to do with servers like NT or AD modes.
    If you can post a pic of the CIFS settings screen I will have a look.

[ Edited by bash64 09.06.2013 - 14:19 ]
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »09.06.13 - 18:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    no such thing I know of as settings to post in this GoFlex... doesnt matter too much for me since I have a server running FreeNAS that works well.
  • »09.06.13 - 18:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ingo
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    Is there a way to NOT have IconX pop up when clicking on this script? Like a "/quiet" option so I dont see the window?

Yes, if you "run >nil: smbfs <stuff>" there should be no window.
  • »10.06.13 - 09:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    @Ingo: thanks!

...back to the GoFlex..yea it is a weird NAS. I had to ssh into it to change the funky default share names, otherwise out-of-the-box, you cant change share names.
    Anyway, I can map my server's SAMBA share just fine. I'm planning on moving away from that proprietary piece of shit Seagate GoFlex to my FreeNAS setup, so I'm going to skip on figuring out the GoFlex.
  • »11.06.13 - 01:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

roschmyr wrote:
    @amyren
    did you add the adress of the NAS to the host list -> MorphOS preferences - Hosts

This one isn´t needed if you use the name defined in NAS settings.

e.g. if you want to connect to a windows system named "pentium", just use this line:

run <>NIL: smbfs cache=12288 workgroup=MSHEIMNETZ service=//Pentium/SharedDocs/ volume=SharedDocs

This also allows the NAS to run in DHCP mode, as you don´t need to know the IP.

Geit
  • »06.08.14 - 08:44
  • rms
    rms
    Quote:

geit wrote:
    Quote:

roschmyr wrote:
    @amyren
    did you add the adress of the NAS to the host list -> MorphOS preferences - Hosts

This one isn´t needed if you use the name defined in NAS settings.

e.g. if you want to connect to a windows system named "pentium", just use this line:

run <>NIL: smbfs cache=12288 workgroup=MSHEIMNETZ service=//Pentium/SharedDocs/ volume=SharedDocs

This also allows the NAS to run in DHCP mode, as you don´t need to know the IP.

Geit

@Geit
    i managed to mount my NAS (it's a QNAP QTS T269) with smbfs on MorphOS but when I copy files to it I don't get more then about 3 MB/s. I tried with one single 1 GB file, which takes aver 5 minutes to get copied.
    I used the same cache value, 12288, you mentioned above. Can this value be increased, if so to what value, and would it help to get faster transfer?
    Any idea?

Christoph
  • »19.11.14 - 07:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Same here......smbfs is very slow - only usable for small files....
    Better use FTP, if possible.....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »19.11.14 - 09:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    smbfs is fast enough on a mounted nas, here i've mounted a Dlink-323 nas on Morphos and copy a linux iso with average 14-15 megabyte/s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FlsmCctSrg
  • »19.11.14 - 10:09
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    That may depend on Roadshow! With normal MOS 3.7 installation on PEG2/1GHz the best speed I got, was about 5-6MB/s....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »19.11.14 - 11:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    That may depend on Roadshow! With normal MOS 3.7 installation on PEG2/1GHz the best speed I got, was about 5-6MB/s....

Netstack was upgraded in recent Morphos updates and should give comparable transfer rates to Roadshow.

With a Powerbook G4 hocked up to a gigabit switch, Roadshow peaked at 33-34 megabytes/s copying a linux iso, using 68k samba 2.2.5 (not smbfs)
    This was from ramdisk to win7

Morphos ram disk was accessed as a samba share on a Win7 pc connected to the same switch and I copied this linux iso both ways, transfer rate to ramdisk was over 25 megabytes/s, but I guess Morphos read/write performance differs on high network activity.

With the new Netstack now in Morphos, one morphos dev (piru?) got 45-50 megabytes/s on local FTP transfers.
  • »19.11.14 - 12:39
  • rms
    rms
    Quote:

catohagen wrote:
    smbfs is fast enough on a mounted nas, here i've mounted a Dlink-323 nas on Morphos and copy a linux iso with average 14-15 megabyte/s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FlsmCctSrg

well, I use a PM 2.7 GHz and when I copy from MorphOS to the NAS, I get a max speed of 3 MB/s, though from the NAS to MorphOS I also get 15 MB/s using smbfs. I tried to a hd partition and also RAM which gives the same result.

3 MB/s for uploading files is definitely to slow to work with the NAS, just not usable! But 15 MB/s or even more would do it. So the question is, what is going wrong or why it's only possible to dowload from the NAS with a 15 MB/s speed?

Any idea?
  • »20.11.14 - 05:37
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    @ catohagen

> With the new Netstack now in Morphos, one morphos dev (piru?) got 45-50 megabytes/s on local FTP transfers.

but FTP is not Samba. There must be a reason why Samba is so slow. I also have very low speed.
  • »20.11.14 - 16:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    @ catohagen

> With the new Netstack now in Morphos, one morphos dev (piru?) got 45-50 megabytes/s on local FTP transfers.

but FTP is not Samba. There must be a reason why Samba is so slow. I also have very low speed.

In my case, Netstack was always slow so when Roadshow68k was released I did some tests with Roadshow and adjusting and tuning parameters on both the stack and samba, transfer speeds flew up.

Roadshow had tcp send and recieve buffers as a very low number as default, as the stack was ported from Freebsd stack from the 90's when dialup modem to connecting to internet was normal. Just adjusting the tcp buffers to 32768 or higher will probably help (on Roadshow) Roadshow also have some implementation of tcp window scaling, that helps alot.

Samba also have parameters you can adjust, setting the tcp buffer to 8192 might help, and Im sure I adjusted some register values on Windows7 that had effect.

On my nas, i downgraded Samba there to an older version, and adjusted buffer values aswell. Samba on linux I guess are more resource hungry on later versions, installing a 2.x.x improved transfers.

For Roadshow, i wrote an arexx installer that had options for adjusting the different parameters based on your network, the installer also helps turning on/off or switching betweeen Netstack and Roadshow as tcp stack...

Atleast in my case, both a Mac mini and Powerbook G4 with Roadshow 'maxed out' on network performance between a Win7 machine and Samba68k 2.2.5 server on Morphos 3.2, getting 9-10mb/s on the 100mbit ethernet on Mac mini and over 30mb/s on the gigabit ethernet on the Powerbook G4, copying files back and fourth.
  • »20.11.14 - 22:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    Nadir
    Quote:

catohagen wrote:
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    @ catohagen

In my case, Netstack was always slow so when Roadshow68k was released I did some tests with Roadshow and adjusting and tuning parameters on both the stack and samba, transfer speeds flew up.

I haven't done any benchmarking of smbfs but when I updated Netstack some time ago, I did quite a few comparisons with Roadshow68k and Miami. Netstack came out on top or equal in all cases. Note that Netstack is based on a newer core than both of these and of course also supports window scaling. Did you by the way play around with the advanced options in Netstack as well when fine tuning for smbfs performance?

Nicholai
  • »20.11.14 - 23:45
  • rms
    rms
    Quote:

catohagen wrote:
    Samba also have parameters you can adjust, setting the tcp buffer to 8192 might help, and Im sure I adjusted some register values on Windows7 that had effect.

On my nas, i downgraded Samba there to an older version, and adjusted buffer values aswell. Samba on linux I guess are more resource hungry on later versions, installing a 2.x.x improved transfers.

For Roadshow, i wrote an arexx installer that had options for adjusting the different parameters based on your network, the installer also helps turning on/off or switching betweeen Netstack and Roadshow as tcp stack...

Atleast in my case, both a Mac mini and Powerbook G4 with Roadshow 'maxed out' on network performance between a Win7 machine and Samba68k 2.2.5 server on Morphos 3.2, getting 9-10mb/s on the 100mbit ethernet on Mac mini and over 30mb/s on the gigabit ethernet on the Powerbook G4, copying files back and fourth.

So you think that I need to use rather Samba if I want to get more speed then the 3 MB/s to write files to a NAS or to a win7 machine? I use a PM 2.7 GHz

I tried to copy a single 1 GB file from a win7 machine to the NAS over a GB LAN, this gave a 40 to 50 MB/s speed, then the other way round, from NAS to win7 gave about 80 to 90 MB/s! Well it should be possible under MorphOS with a GB LAN to reach at least 20 to 30 MB/s speed (read/write), that's a 3rd what win7 does.

About Netstack in MorphOS, do you have any advice about best settings?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Christoph
  • »21.11.14 - 04:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    I have a Seagate Central 2TB NAS and I have created the below script, following the instructions on the 1st page of the thread:

WaitForPort NETSTACK
    Run > NIL: smbfs cache=12288 workgroup=WORKGROUP user=xxx password=xxx service=//192.xxx.x.xx/CENTRAL/Public volume=NAS:

Since nothing happen when I double click it, obviously I have misconfigure something and I suspect it has to do with the workgroup.
    My first question is: Does a NAS comes up with a default workgroup name? I have tried googling it but without any sold answer (in the script I used my workgroup name from Win7, I also tried with SEAGATEGROUP but without any luck).
    I can login to the NAS admin page through Odyssey but there is no option regarding it.
    Btw, the remote access to Seagate webpage doesn't work. Throws up a 35 SSL error instead :(
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »07.03.15 - 20:22
    Profile Visit Website
    bash64
    Windows default workgroup name is WORKGROUP.
    You should be able to set this in your NAS interface.
    For windows xp I think they changed it to MSHOME.
  • »07.03.15 - 21:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Ha! It worked! First of all, it seems that Seagate has removed the option to alter the workgroup name from the web-ui of their nas, lol! Thankfully, it is by default workgroup :P Anyway, the problem was coming from the ip at the service entry of my script. Though it's correct, once I removed it it mounted the nas :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »07.03.15 - 22:00
    Profile Visit Website
    bash64
    ok, is the hostname of your nas 'CENTRAL'?
    That means you had an IP and a hostname (to be resolved by DNS) in the same line.
    Removing one or the other would fix the issue.
  • »08.03.15 - 03:06
    Profile Visit Website