• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    @ catohagen

> With the new Netstack now in Morphos, one morphos dev (piru?) got 45-50 megabytes/s on local FTP transfers.

but FTP is not Samba. There must be a reason why Samba is so slow. I also have very low speed.

In my case, Netstack was always slow so when Roadshow68k was released I did some tests with Roadshow and adjusting and tuning parameters on both the stack and samba, transfer speeds flew up.

Roadshow had tcp send and recieve buffers as a very low number as default, as the stack was ported from Freebsd stack from the 90's when dialup modem to connecting to internet was normal. Just adjusting the tcp buffers to 32768 or higher will probably help (on Roadshow) Roadshow also have some implementation of tcp window scaling, that helps alot.

Samba also have parameters you can adjust, setting the tcp buffer to 8192 might help, and Im sure I adjusted some register values on Windows7 that had effect.

On my nas, i downgraded Samba there to an older version, and adjusted buffer values aswell. Samba on linux I guess are more resource hungry on later versions, installing a 2.x.x improved transfers.

For Roadshow, i wrote an arexx installer that had options for adjusting the different parameters based on your network, the installer also helps turning on/off or switching betweeen Netstack and Roadshow as tcp stack...

Atleast in my case, both a Mac mini and Powerbook G4 with Roadshow 'maxed out' on network performance between a Win7 machine and Samba68k 2.2.5 server on Morphos 3.2, getting 9-10mb/s on the 100mbit ethernet on Mac mini and over 30mb/s on the gigabit ethernet on the Powerbook G4, copying files back and fourth.
  • »20.11.14 - 23:35