MorphOS 3.0 issues
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    MorphOS actually reads the temperature internally, there just wasn't time to prepare some enduser application to display that. Are the fans in your laptop working OK?
  • »15.06.12 - 11:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @amigadave

Quote:

so I will still need tofind and purchase the correct PRAM battery for my 15" 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook 5.8 w/high res display.

my powerbook keeps losing time, resetting to 1970.... could it be pram related ?
    If you manage to find a pram battery, would you mind posting a link ?
  • »15.06.12 - 15:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    @Amigadave and SoundSquare:

I found this link:
    PRAM battery
    It reports this compatibility:
    PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15" 1-1.5 GHz 1 GHz 1.25 GHz 1.33 GHz 1.5 GHz (BT 1.1)
    PowerBook G4 Aluminum 15" 1.5-1.67 GHz 1.5 GHz (BT 2.0) 1.67 GHz (Low-Res)
    PowerBook G4 Titanium DVI 1 GHz 667 MHz 800 MHz 867 MHz
    PowerBook G4 Titanium Onyx 550 MHz 667 MHz

I hope it could be useful..
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »15.06.12 - 18:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    thanks Jambalah

mmm it needs soldering... i'm afraid i have no way to do that :-(
  • »15.06.12 - 22:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Jambalah,
    Quite a steep price! Quick google search gave GBP 6.1 from an English reseller http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lir3032-vdy2.htm. For European customers probably a more interesting resource than to get a battery shiped from half around the world.

Then again ifixit.com is a good resource and probably deserve the money from such sales.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.06.12 - 23:24
    Profile Visit Website
    xyphoid
    Been testing out a lot lately. Is it me, or does the memory drop like bricks faster now? starting owb 901megs
    resuming previous pages(23) 800mb.....700........4000.....to 380mb within 30mins. Eventually, the sys drops usb, and freezes operating at 400+megs.
    this happened three times. twice I closed out owb, but memory didn't unlock and stayed at 380+mb

to be clear this is owb 1.17 dropped into the old ver folder, not clean ver running independently

[ Edited by xyphoid 15.06.2012 - 23:34 ]
  • »16.06.12 - 05:32
    Jambalah
    @Zylesea:
    mine was a real quick and dirty google research =)
    Price lower are really welcome so thanks for the link!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »16.06.12 - 06:46
  • Just looking around
    Fester
    Upgraded my mac mini to 3.0 yesterday and installed the SDK. So far so good.

The only little glitches I've had so far are as follows:

1. OWB slows down: I remember having this issue way back when I first purchased a MOS license. I usally open one to three tabs and I use "Iconify" alot. After a while, OWB slows down to a crawl. I'm on version 1.17.

2. Screen goes dark on KVM switch: I work from home so I'm always switching from my work PC to my personal machines. If I switch away from my Morphos for more than a few minutes, I can't get the screen to come back to life. I have to reboot the Mac Mini. Switching works fine if it's done within a few minutes.

3. 1920 x 1080: My monitor can handle 1920x1080 and I see it available in Prefs. But when I set the Morphos screen to that resolution, the screen goes dark. I tried a couple different monitors. I tried it on the KVM and also directly to the monitor without a KVM. I tried VGA cables and DVI cables. The 1440x900 resolution works. I can live with that.

I'm not a MOS power user but I intend to learn C++ and a few other languages. Always wanted to but never did. So I read through the library tutorials, compiled the Hello World C program and then compiled a few lines of C++ I toyed with this week. Again, so far so good. It all works. I plan on spending more time with Morphos now that I'm pushing myself to learn new programming skills.
  • »16.06.12 - 10:07
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @xyphoid & fester

Please download and install OWB version from:
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/owb-morphos-1.17.lha
    and
    http://fabportnawak.free.fr/owb/plugins/swfdec_plugin-1.2.lha if you need to use Flash.

OWB/cairo combination from MorphOS 3.0 ISO might cause various issues. This version fixes it.
  • »16.06.12 - 10:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Drayman
    @Zylesea:
    Quote:

Quick google search gave GBP 6.1 from an English reseller http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_lir3032-vdy2.htm. For European customers probably a more interesting resource than to get a battery shiped from half around the world.

Thank you for the link. Just ordered the PRAM battery today. My Powerbook won´t charge without it and I hate to enter the date every boottime without network.

One more problem to solve:
    The LCD of my Powerbook 5.6 is flickering a lot if I scale the brightness more than 1 position.
    DVI output works perfectly. Any chance to repair this?

Drayman
  • »16.06.12 - 13:27
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Jambalah,

Unfortunately, my 15" G4 PowerBook 5.8 is the high res model, not the low res model, so that battery probably does not work, or they would not bother listing it only for the low res version of the 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook 15" LCD screen.

It is amazing how much smaller the PRAM battery for the 17" 1.67GHz G4 PowerBook 5.9 is, that I just replaced.

I'll keep looking for the correct PRAM battery for my 15" 5.8 PowerBook, and if I can't find one, I will open up my existing PRAM battery to look at the numbering on the battery itself and try to find just the correct replacement battery, instead of the whole PRAM battery assembly.

Thanks anyway for the link.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »16.06.12 - 13:50
    BSzili
    @Fab:
    I'm having similar problems with OWB as Fester. I downloaded OWB 1.17 from your site, which helped a bit, but it still slows down to crawl after some time. At least I don't have to reboot anymore to restore the normal speed :-)

[ Edited by BSzili 16.06.2012 - 14:11 ]
    This is just like television, only you can see much further.
  • »16.06.12 - 14:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BalrogSoft
    Here is my list of issues with MorphOS 3.0.

On my Mac Mini 1,5Ghz, ATI 64mb:

Flurry screensaver doesn't work, show corrupted screen.

Ping command causes NetInfo task to consume an high percent of cpu.

Sometimes my usb harddrive shows a corrupted icon on My MorphOS drawer.

On my Efika system, tested with ATI Radeon 9200 and Voodoo3:

Some applications doesn't to work with MorphOS 3.0, Neverball, Foobillard, Blender.

Sometimes USB devices devices stop working and it can't be recovered unless a reset is performed, and sometimes it show the problem again after a reset, using ATI Radeon 9200 (tested with two different ATI Radeon 900), it works as expected with Voodoo3, (this bug is present on previous MorphOS versions)

[ Edited by BalrogSoft 16.06.2012 - 14:15 ]
    Balrog Software - AmigaSkool.net
    Mac Mini - MorphOS 3.8 - G4 1.5Ghz - Ati 9200 64 Mb
    Efika - MorphOS 3.6 - Ati 9200 64Mb - 80 Gb HD
    Amiga 1200D - OS 3.9 - Blizzard 603e/240mh
  • »16.06.12 - 14:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @Drayman

Do you also get that LCD issue under OSX?
  • »16.06.12 - 14:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Fester
    Thanks Fab.

When I unpacked that download, I got a corrupted file error on one of the files.

I'll download it again and try again.
  • »16.06.12 - 14:21
    stephen_robinson
    Just installed on my Powermac FW800, (update not install)

1: Feathers Screen Saver runs slower than before, very high CPU use, even on the preview screen

2: The rear Audio out socket dosn't work, only the 'headphone' socket on the front works

3: If I start up Heretic II it loads, then goes back to the Workbench Ambient Screen, I have to swap screens to get to the game, didn't do that before.

4: On all the installs I've tried it shows both the 'Boot' and my MacOS partition on the desktop, in mounter I've set it them to Manual, ie I want them hidden until I mount them. On 2.7 they were hidden.correctly.

5: RTCW which worked with 2.7 now screen goes to stand by, fans stay on, amiga+n/m and Both Amiga+Ctrl does nothing, I'll need to test that one.. tested again, working fine

6: The volume titlebar modules is rather slugish in moving up and down when using the mouse, it seems to take time to 'catch up' with the pointer.

7: on all systems, after using MacOS the time is an hour out, I guess this is something to do with MacOS changing the system time to UTC and daylight saving strangeness/MorphOS and MacOS handlng time differently, I was kinda hoping this would have been addressed for 3.0.

[ Edited by stephen_robinson 16.06.2012 - 15:23 ]
  • »16.06.12 - 15:41
  • Just looking around
    Drayman
    @ jacadcaps:

Yes, it´s the same under OSX and it´s independent from flipping/moving the LCD.
    It starts flickering suddenly while working with the Powerbook.

Thank you for asking, Drayman

[ Edited by Drayman 16.06.2012 - 17:32 ]
  • »16.06.12 - 17:31
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    gleng
    jacadcaps,
    Quote:

Well, did you update from 2.6 to 2.7 with that partition present?

I'm pretty sure I did. I've had that setup for a while now.

No matter. I just wiped the drive and installed from scratch. I didn't really use the Linux install on that computer much anyway.
  • »16.06.12 - 17:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Then it's either the inverter (which you can buy and replace yourself if you're not afraid of opening the LCD panel cover, there's a guide on ifixit) or the LCD backlight itself. In that case you'd either need to source a compatible panel or find a professional repair center that can replace the backlight of the panel (yes, some do that).
  • »16.06.12 - 19:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    Tinygl.library from MorphOS 3.0 have a bug here, all screen are opened with gray screen on efika with 9200 pro. The problem is out copying the tinygl.library from MOS 2.7 becouse with tinygl.library from MOS 3.0 i can´t play any game or aplaction using GL, like Quake, Quake 2 etc but replacing the library the games works.

Any solution for this bug?
  • »16.06.12 - 21:29
    BSzili
    It looks like OWB is not the only program with these problems. I tried Quake3, and it also crawls when portal surfaces (mirrors, teleporters, etc.) are visible, with some screen corruption. There's also some brief flashes screen corruption when OWB slows down, and it renders the page. So in conclusion this might be some driver related problem.
    Another minor issue is that I can't type the Ő and Ű characters. They won't appear when other programs try to print them either :-(
    Well, nuff said, I'm going back to the whine cellar :-)
  • »16.06.12 - 21:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    _DaNi_,
    Quote:

Tinygl.library from MorphOS 3.0 have a bug here, all screen are opened with gray screen on efika

It seems 3.0's tinygl was miscompiled and does not work without altivec. You will need to wait for 3.1 for a fix.
  • »16.06.12 - 22:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @BSzili

I'm not really sure what kind of huge slowdown you could get from OWB. Which machine do you have exactly? I guess it might be a low vram situation, and this kind of thing could happen if you open several windows when using enhanced display and several OWB windows instead of tabs.
  • »17.06.12 - 03:40
    Profile Visit Website
    BSzili
    @Fab:
    It's a Mac Mini G4 with 32 meg VRAM. It's not an OWB-related issue, other programs have this these dreadful slowdowns time to time, accompanied by brief flashes of screen corruption. Sometimes even after a cold reboot :-? It seems to be random, for example Dopus4 took ages to render its window, and now it's asymptomatic again. It happens more often with larger windows, or when I'm resizing them.
  • »17.06.12 - 08:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    I would like to pull screens over the edge of ambient again, but I do not know where to adjust this in prefs.
    In MOS2 it came automatic with Papis pack ultimate, as far as I remember. But maybe someone can tell me how to do that manually?

thanks a lot!
    defender
    PowerMac 3.6 - Radeon 9000_64Mb - 1,5Gb Ram - SB Live - MorphOS 3.9
    CD32 TF330 SILP Wifi- PowerBook 1,67GHz 1GB/100GB - MorphOS 3 reg. 1455 IMac Isight
  • »17.06.12 - 08:56
    Profile Visit Website