MorphOS 3.0
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    osco
    Any NEW news from beta land? :-D
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
    PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 40G MorphOS 3.1 unregisterd
  • »27.02.12 - 14:26
    stephen_robinson
    You got my hopes up then :-(
  • »27.02.12 - 14:29
    osco
    I think it may be over the top but a great MorphOS 3.0 unveiling on the East Coast.
    It's seconds away from me in my home town :)

http://www.mccahome.com/bcec.html :-D

The developers would be sure to use this venue!
    I can see the blue morph in all its glory
    Graphics and the new MorphOS 3.0

http://www.mccahome.com/digital_media.html :-D

[ Edited by osco 27.02.2012 - 10:55 ]
    Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 1G, 250G Drive, Apple Cinema Display, MorphOS 3.1 registered, MacOS 10 PowerBook (5,8) 1.67Hz, 2G, 80G Drive,........Waiting
  • »27.02.12 - 14:51
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MaveRickPL
    MOS 3.0 should be last Year... is ok. No rush I prefer to wait than to get not expecting product, but 2 months after I worry Team have a some problems ............ ;)
    MacMini & MorphOS
  • »27.02.12 - 16:33
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    It wasn't supposed to be released last year for sure... it was just said not at least before december, because some people were waiting it already months earlier. So, it didn't come before december as expected, but I don't think anyone has defined any absolute deadline, so it's on schedule still.. it's done when it's done.
  • »27.02.12 - 16:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    osco,
    Quote:

Any NEW news from beta land?

Running on a PowerBook it outperfoms the X1000. What more is there to want? ;-)
  • »27.02.12 - 17:11
    eliot
    Megander,
    Quote:

Running on a PowerBook it outperfoms the X1000. What more is there to want?

A public release would be great.
    regards
    eliot
  • »27.02.12 - 17:50
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Megander
    In such a small market niche, public releases are overestimated.
  • »27.02.12 - 19:14
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I think there are some issues. Some team member (dunno who it was) currently away from the development machine. Another at the south pole (well, has his Powerbook with him, but probably hands more than full with work there). It's always difficult with rather small teams doing work in spare time only.
    I hope we'll see the release soon. But at least the delay gives us more time to hunt for a bargain Powerbook (well, rather a weak comfort).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »27.02.12 - 23:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Damn it! Jacek is chasing penguins in the South Pole again? And another key dev busy, well that explains the delays.. Oh well we are lucky to have these guys.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »28.02.12 - 04:48
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    and do not forget the guy that has just broken his wrist.. :-)

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »28.02.12 - 08:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Miky060

Who was that? Too much Pr0n? :oops:
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »28.02.12 - 10:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Miky060
    ..maybe too much pizza! ;-)

PegasosII "Elite" Machine --> PowerMac MDD "popular" Machine --> MacMini 1.5 "still more popular" Machine
  • »28.02.12 - 11:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Miky060,

Broken wrist? I had not heard about that. I hope he has a cross-platform compiler that works on a computer platform that has speech to text capabilities, as programming with just one hand would be very slow. I heard of another person in Amiga land that just broke his wrist too, but I don't think he is on the MorphOS Dev. Team. I will have to ask him.

Jacek has at least one of his MorphOS computers with him in Antarctica, so I am sure he is still working on MorphOS development during his free time. It is not like there is a lot to do for entertainment during the hours he is not working on the equipment he maintains there. (or maybe there is and I just don't know what they do for entertainment) Jacek is a great person and I admire him for doing what he is doing. It is an opportunity that very few people ever get in their lifetime and he took the chance of going there, not knowing exactly what job(s) will be available for him when he returns.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.02.12 - 21:54
    Miky060
    amigadave,
    Quote:

Broken wrist? I had not heard about that.

Bigfoot (the developer we are speaking about) told me this on IRC

Quote:

I hope he has a cross-platform compiler that works on a computer platform that has speech to text capabilities, as programming with just one hand would be very slow.

I really doubt he has it. But you should ask to him about this.

• »29.02.12 - 13:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fairdinkem
    Hi I am eagerly awaiting the new MorphOS 3.0 release, I was wondering whether or not any news has been released as to what key features are going to be in this version of MorphOS other than supporting new hardware, what can I expect to see as a Pegasos 2 user of MorphOS?
  • »01.04.12 - 11:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I was wondering whether or not any news has been released as to what key
    > features are going to be in this version of MorphOS other than supporting
    > new hardware, what can I expect to see as a Pegasos 2 user of MorphOS?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=9&topic_id=8121&start=27
  • »01.04.12 - 11:55
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Mequa
    I'm also wondering if I go ahead and register a machine with MorphOS 2.7, when MorphOS 3.x is released will I need to pay extra to upgrade to 3.x, or in the worst case get a whole new registration, or will it be a free upgrade?
  • »02.04.12 - 09:23
    hooligan
    @Megua

Upgrade is free of charge.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »02.04.12 - 09:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Zylesea,
    Quote:

I hope we'll see the release soon. But at least the delay gives us more time to hunt for a bargain Powerbook (well, rather a weak comfort).

Since I hunted down my bargain Powerbook just recently, I think it's time for MorphOS 3 now. You can roll it out now, no need for further waiting ;-)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.04.12 - 22:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fairdinkem
    What specs powerbook should I acquire to be compatible with MOS3.0?
  • »03.04.12 - 00:40
    osco
    http://dreamolers.binaryriot.org/powerbooks.html

Enjoy your search for your PowerBOOK :-D

THERE are many posts to help on the board. SeARCH on powerbook for much info.

Good luck
  • »03.04.12 - 01:20
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zhulien
    why a public release is good, even for a small niche market - even if it is a 'paid' beta release is that there will be some people who will be happier to buy it than not have it at all - for example... let's say (totally hypothetically) that morphos 3 worked fine on a macbook, but it had a new updated tcp/ip stack that wasn't finished - so what? you could perhaps use genesis, ami-tcp as a stop-gap... anyway, purely hypothetical. To have a proper laptop that can run MorphOS 'in any workable state' would be so cool and useful... Anyway, when I first saw MorphOS in person with 1.4 - I was blown away.
  • »04.04.12 - 08:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @zhulien,

I have to disagree with you about offering anyone that wants a beta copy of MorphOS3.0 for their G4 PowerBook to purchase it now, before it is finished.

I think it would be just more of a distraction for the MorphOS Dev. Team, to have dozens, or hundreds of users commenting on (or complaining about) what was not yet finished or perfected in the MorphOS3.0 beta release. The Team does not need this increased distraction.

I am sure that they are working on completing MorphOS3.0 as quickly as they can, as it will be their best selling release since support for the first G4 Mac model, the G4 MacMini, was first released. We should see many more MorphOS registrations within the first week, or month of MorphOS3.0's release date. Everyone is going to want a fast and very polished Amiga-Like portable computer (if they have any interest in PPC Amiga computing and don't want x86 w/emulation instead).
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »04.04.12 - 12:42
    osco
    I would like a short update on the progress of testing. I have two PowerBooks waiting and my concern is power management and the LACK of it running Mac OS 10.5.8! I hope it's a software issue with 10.5.8 and not a hardware problem. I don't have the expertise but my intuition gives fear that the develpoment team may have a problem specific to the PowerBook. What happens to both my Powerbooks is that they freeze when left idle and can only be restarted with a reboot. It means a loss of what work one has in progress. It is not a major issue because the Powerbooks are used for surfing and immediate web use.
    @ Dave Did you have an issue with beta 3.0 freezing when left idle??

Laters :-D
  • »04.04.12 - 13:11