• Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @connor

some anterior version of DVPlayer (0.65) ran with OS4emu, but anyway, you fail to tell us precisely what DVPlayer can offer compared to MPLayer. MPlayer has tons of features and options not available in DVPlayer, and plays literally hundreds more formats and codecs. Compared to DVPlayer running in OS4Emu or OS4.1 update 3, it's also significantly faster... As andreas wrote, i think the only thing that MPlayer wouldn't have is skin support, and i don't really think it's a priority.

About X11, there are a couple X servers available already : geekgadgets X11 (that recompiles directly for PPC if wanted), XAmi (faster because if has some basic blitter support) and Amiwin. OS4 amicygnix actually uses a recompilation of the old (15 years old) Geekgadgets X11 server, that is really dog slow (no acceleration at all).
    And regarding the apps, i once compiled all that X11 stuff up to GTK2 and Enlightenment. Worked relatively fine, except for the total alien look and typical X11 slowness. Porting higher level applications was a bit more tricky, because it would have needed a working pthread implementation for ixemul, and we don't have that. So the alternative would be to recompile all this X11 crap with libnix, but it is significantly more work, and it's not worth the effort, really.

[ Edited by Fab 16.12.2011 - 02:52 ]
  • »16.12.11 - 03:35
    Profile Visit Website