• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @hooligan,

Quote:

I bet 1-5000
    For how much we are betting? ;-)

1 to 5000 new registrations for G4 PowerBooks within the first year of it's release. That is a sure bet if I ever saw one. Wouldn't it be fantastic if you were wrong and by some miracle there were over 5000 users interested in running MorphOS3.0 on a G4 PowerBook?

To suddenly have a user base in excess of 5000 again (or for the first time, I don't know if there were ever more than 5000 MorphOS users when it was free in the pre 2.0 days).

I wonder which platform will be more popular and receive more purchases, MorphOS3.0 registrations only for G4 PowerBooks, or purchases of Hyperion Netbooks to run OS4? We will never know, as Hyperion will never release sales numbers for their Netbooks and the MorphOS Dev. Team will most likely not tell us how many new registrations of MorphOS3.0 are for G4 PowerBooks, instead of registrations for other compatible hardware, after MorphOS3.0 is released. Although we can probably assume that most new registrations after the initial release of MorphOS3.0 will be for G4 PowerBooks.

I think that MorphOS3.0 on G4 PowerBooks will out sell OS4 for the Netbook, but I am not familiar with what the size of the current OS4 community is and their willingness to purchase a $300 to $500 Netbook to give themselves a portable OS4 machine, so I may be wrong and surprised by how many they can sell. We are already aware that the brand name still carries much weight with many of the remaining Amiga community. I think the number of sales may be close to being the same, but who can predict such things these days. I know that I will not be buying a Hyperion OS4 Netbook, no matter what the price ends up being. The price of the two portable PPC Amiga inspired systems appears to be very close to being the same, depending on where you live. I purchased my 15" model 1138 PowerBook for $199, plus shipping, but have seen many more similar G4 PowerBooks sell for $250 to $350, or more. That plus the 111.11 euro registration price brings the total price of a MorphOS3.0 PowerBook up to, or a little more than the $500 upper price quoted for the Hyperion Netbook. The performance difference between the two systems will be great, but that will make no difference, and will not discourage most of the potential Netbook buyers. We have already been shown that most OS4 users do not care which system runs faster, or better. Their brand loyalty and preference toward OS4 in most cases is unwavering. I don't want these comments to open the door to any debate, or criticism of either choice, or system. They are not meant as any kind of criticism to anyone. I have my own preference in MorphOS, but have no animosity toward OS4 users and their preferences, and I give them some credit for their loyalty, even if I don't agree with their reasons for giving it.

[ Edited by amigadave 17.12.2011 - 15:24 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.12.11 - 00:10