How many MorphOS users are there in the USA?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bash64
    Indiana
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »28.10.11 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    AmigaDave
    osco
    MattH
    redrumloa
    Samurai_Crow
    Debaser
    E-W-S
    Acill
    VelcroSP
    bash64
    Jim
    Targhan (maybe???)
    discreetfx
    matt3
    Magnetic
    memering

If you are a MorphOS user and live in the USA, please add you nick to this list and let us know what kind of MorphOS system you have, if it is registered and what state you live in.

[ Edited by amigadave 28.10.2011 - 14:19 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »28.10.11 - 22:19
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    xyphoid

He lives about 30 minutes away from me (in Delaware).

Wonder if he'd like to go to Occupy Delaware with me and my wife on November 5th?

Remember, remember the 5th of November.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.10.11 - 23:42
    XDelusion
    Me! (Ohio)

[ Edited by XDelusion 28.10.2011 - 20:18 ]
    "I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

Registered MorphOS user, Amiga user, and Atari 8-bit user.
  • »29.10.11 - 01:18
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    As wolf pointed out MattH is not the same as me...

Wish I had more time, would love to put together a Eastern US MOS show.
  • »29.10.11 - 05:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Acill
    AmigaDave
    bash64
    Debaser
    discreetfx
    E-W-S
    Jim
    Magnetic
    matt3
    MattH
    memering
    osco
    redrumloa
    Samurai_Crow
    Targhan (maybe???)
    VelcroSP
    Xdelusion
    xyphoid

18 so far (alphabetically listed this time). That is a little better than what I was afraid would be the total number a couple of days ago, but still embarrassingly low number for such a fine working OS. I think we can do better, but as so many OS3.x and 4.x users have pointed out many times, we can't get more users by insulting their choices, any other OS, or pointing out the negative parts of other OSes. We have to concentrate only on the positive things that can be done on and with MorphOS and let people that have not already become entrenched in other choices make up their own minds.

Getting anyone to choose to start using MorphOS is not an easy task. There is no rational reason to do it when there is no compelling reason to run any Amiga, or MorphOS software today. It is all just for fun, or like of the way the OS works.

I think there are still many current AmigaOS3.x users, or former Amiga users, that have not made a decision about any Next Gen Amiga system that can be enticed to try MorphOS, if it is presented in the right way to them. For 99.99% of OS4 users, it is a waste of time and breath to even mention MorphOS.

[ Edited by amigadave 28.10.2011 - 23:25 ]
  • »29.10.11 - 07:24
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Good points David.
    We've tried to encourage development in the past by offering hardware.
    Perhaps you're right. The bulk of future MorphOS adopters is likely to come from the legacy users.
  • »29.10.11 - 16:39
    matt3
    I propose that there are probably many more MOS users in the USA that don't frequent Morphzone and others that are not being counted. I look at myself, I seldom post or read on the boards these days.

I, and many other users I suspect, treat MOS as an os and not a hobby. MOS works great for all that I need it for, I didn't even update to 2.7 until over 1 years after it was released. 2.5 worked great...

To me MOS runs my checkbook, email, and word processing needs perfectly. Life is so much different for me now, I barely have time for any hobby let alone playing with the Peg 2.

In retrospect this is a HUGE compliment to the MOS development guys. MOS is so good that I don't think or worry about it and make it a hobby to get it to work...

My 1,000 cent (2 cents adjusted for inflation....)

Regards,

Matt
  • »29.10.11 - 17:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I didn't even update to 2.7 until over 1 years after it was released.

Err, MorphOS 2.7 has been released less than a year ago ;-)
  • »29.10.11 - 19:01
    matt3
    True Andreas, I should have stated:

"skipped over 2.6 and didn't install 2.7 until months after it was released."

Taking into account 2.6 and 2.7 it was over a year before I updated to 2.7 from 2.5...

Thanks for the correction...

[ Edited by matt3 29.10.2011 - 14:10 ]
  • »29.10.11 - 19:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    matt3,
    Quote:

I propose that there are probably many more MOS users in the USA that don't frequent Morphzone and others that are not being counted. I look at myself, I seldom post or read on the boards these days.

Agreed - I know of a some other Morphos users on amiga.org that haven't piped in yet. <just by noticing signatures> such as JJ and CecilaFX for example.
  • »29.10.11 - 19:18
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I know of a some other Morphos users on amiga.org [...] such
    > as JJ and CecilaFX for example.

According to his profiles here and on amiga.org, JJ is from Wales. Cecilia's latest login here on MorphZone was only 9 days ago so chances are that she'll find this thread soon :-)
  • »29.10.11 - 19:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @matt3,

What software are you using for word processing on MorphOS, Google Docs, PageStream, something else?

@Jim,

I would like to begin again to offer MorphOS compatible hardware to developers that are interested in using and developing for MorphOS, so keep your eyes open for cheap compatible hardware, like eMacs and G4 PowerMacs. We need to find at least one or two MorphOS users in Europe that will also help getting MorphOS compatible hardware into the hands of developers over there that do not already have a MorphOS compatible system.

I would like to have a goal of getting at least one MorphOS compatible system into the hands of a developer each month, or every two months. I wish I had kept all 7 of the 1.25GHz G4 PowerMacs that I had for this purpose, instead of selling them to other people that may, or may not have been really interested in MorphOS, or have no programming skills. I'll start looking for deals on compatible systems to buy for developers again this weekend.

If we can find at least one person in the UK and one in Germany, France, or Italy that will do the same, I would be willing to donate some money for them to buy and distribute MorphOS compatible systems to developers across the "Pond", or anywhere else (Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Japan, India, Africa).

I still want to think of ways to present MorphOS to more AmigaOS3.x users and former Amiga users that are not active in any way with Amiga now, plus do some work to introduce Mac users that are still fond of "Low End" PPC Mac hardware to what MorphOS is. We just need to think of ways we can show off MorphOS in a good light to get positive responses and pick up some new users and hopefully a few new programmers.

Anyone else interested in brainstorming with me on these ideas, please contact me.

[ Edited by amigadave 29.10.2011 - 13:57 ]
  • »29.10.11 - 21:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Debaser
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

According to his profiles here and on amiga.org, JJ is from Wales. Cecilia's latest login here on MorphZone was only 9 days ago so chances are that she'll find this thread soon :-)

Haha Wales is a far cry from the states huh. Sorry - for some reason I thought he was located in Texas. :)
  • »30.10.11 - 02:55
    matt3
    What software are you using for word processing on MorphOS, Google Docs, PageStream, something else?

@amigadave

I use Final Writer. Works fine if you run it on Ambient.
  • »30.10.11 - 03:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sh, it meant to be a pm....

[ Edited by sadddam 30.10.2011 - 09:12 ]
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »30.10.11 - 09:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    MorphOS 2.7 on Mini here . . . Not Registered . . . Hopefully in February . . . 8-)
  • »30.10.11 - 17:04
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    >I would like to begin again to offer MorphOS compatible hardware to developers that are interested in using and developing for MorphOS

Sounds good David.
    I too would like to revisit this idea.
    We can cover the US, but you're right, we're going to need some collaborators in Europe.
  • »31.10.11 - 19:25
    bbrv
    We still have MorphOS booting on both an ODW and an Efika Open Client. Please stop by the office and we can still show the same demo we did years ago.

R&B :-)
  • »31.10.11 - 21:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    what should this mean exactly?
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »31.10.11 - 22:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @wolfe,

Are you located within the USA?

Quote:

We still have MorphOS booting on both an ODW and an Efika Open Client. Please stop by the office and we can still show the same demo we did years ago.

@bbrv,

I did not realize that you still had an interest in MorphOS? I know that your previous promotion of MorphOS for the Efika 5200b probably did not return a profit, or turn out the way you had hoped it would, but are you still interested in promoting MorphOS in any way? Are you still interested in seeing MorphOS ported to any of your new hardware?

I still have hopes that a larger MorphOS user base can be "Grown" over time, so I am looking for ways I can help that happen. If we only have approximately 500 to 700 registered MorphOS2.x users today and most of them are hesitant to spend money on commercial MorphOS native software, there is little incentive for programmers to spend much time writing apps and games for MorphOS. I'd like to try to change that situation (slowly, but with measurable progress each quarter).

The alternative is to give up promoting MorphOS at all, and settle with using Linux, MacOSX or Windows for everything.
  • »01.11.11 - 03:00
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    Well, I always respond to being located on the "Dark Side of the Moon", but for the purpose of this thread I'm located in N. Kentucky . . . :-D
  • »01.11.11 - 04:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @wolfe,

Thanks for your location. I will update the list.

MorphOS users within the USA:

Acill
    AmigaDave
    bash64
    bbrv
    Debaser
    discreetfx
    E-W-S
    Jim
    Magnetic
    matt3
    MattH
    memering
    osco
    redrumloa
    Samurai_Crow
    Targhan (maybe???)
    VelcroSP
    wolfe
    Xdelusion
    xyphoid

That makes 20. Now let us see if we can double it within the next 12 months. Actually, we should be able to triple or quadruple that number as soon as MorphOS3.0 is released with support for the G4 PowerBook.

[ Edited by amigadave 31.10.2011 - 21:15 ]
  • »01.11.11 - 06:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    @amigadave

Of course, we do! We always have an ear open for an opportunity for MorphOS. This past year at FTF with the new emphasis on Power Architecture from Freescale, we did discuss MorphOS with two senior Freescale executives. You can still find MorphOS mentioned in a downloadable AppNote on the Freescale website: Genesi Pegasos II Boot Options. If we identify a possibility, we will do our best to make something happen.

BTW, we never made money on MorphOS with either the Pegasos or the Efika. The Efika had a decent chance, but the 2.0 software release came too late. The hardware also needed a bit higher performance to gain the interest MorphOS needed to be successful. The whole situation with Amiga Inc. further confused the market and discouraged involvement.

If we had the market and money to develop a new platform for MorphOS, we would.

Sincerely,
  • »01.11.11 - 13:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > You can still find MorphOS mentioned in a downloadable AppNote
    > on the Freescale website: Genesi Pegasos II Boot Options.

There are even more AppNotes and other documents on the Freescale website still mentioning MorphOS:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:freescale.com+morphos+filetype:pdf

> The Efika had a decent chance, but the 2.0 software release came too late.
    > The hardware also needed a bit higher performance to gain the interest
    > MorphOS needed to be successful.

Yes, I think it was mainly the severe RAM constraint that made the Efika 5200B a bummer for many MorphOS users.

> This past year at FTF with the new emphasis on Power Architecture from
    > Freescale, we did discuss MorphOS with two senior Freescale executives. [...]
    > If we identify a possibility, we will do our best to make something happen. [...]
    > If we had the market and money to develop a new platform for MorphOS, we would.

You mean QorIQ hardware from Genesi might happen in case you'll be successful with your current and future i.MX hardware? I remember that Neko said Genesi once evaluated solutions based on QorIQ but decided against it, but that was quite a while ago. So are you maybe inclined to re-evaluate QorIQ, especially with having the upcoming QorIQ AMP series in mind?
  • »01.11.11 - 14:08