MorphOS 2.8 confirmed features
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    As there are quite wild speculation of what features might be present in the next MorphOS version, how about actually collect the information about what is confirmed and what is not.

Feel free to add anything that is missing, and correct any mistakes I might have made. Haven't been following the situation too closely, but have seen f.ex. "will include shader support" a few times too many.

Confirmed: Someone from the team has confirmed that the feature should be present in the next release. NOTE: A developer stating that something "might be done" or even "being worked on" without confirming if it would be in the next version does NOT belong here!
    Confirmed to not include: Someone has confirmed that the specified feature will not be in the next release (but perhaps in some release after that)
    Not confirmed: No word at all from the team. Status unknown.

Of course some "not confirmed" features (such as shader support for OpenGL) I find very unlikely (yet often spoken as "confirmed" by some people) - but as long as no-one confirms it won't be in the next release, it will be "unconfirmed".

Originally I put Powerbooks to "Confirmed to not include" as that was the impression I had got from irc discussions etc. but since it now appears uncertain instead, I moved it to "not confirmed". Also added few more items like R300 support and stereoscopic 3D support, which I think was demonstrated in some meeting a while ago.

Features for MorphOS 2.8
    Confirmed:
    -Brand new version number
    -CD / DVD writing support
    -Improved 3D acceleration
    -SATA/SCSI support for Powermac G4
    -USB 3G modem support
    -Updated lha

Confirmed to not include:
    -Support for G5 macs
    -QBox environment
    -SMP support

Not confirmed:
    -Support for other new PowerPC hardware
    -Support for PPC mac laptops
    -Stereoscopic 3D support (for movies etc.)
    -New text editor (MorphEd replacement)
    -Native PFS3 in boot.img

Features for improved 3D support
    Confirmed:
    -Improved performance

Confirmed to not include:

Not confirmed:
    -Shader support
    -VBO support
    -R300 support (or other currently unsupported chipsets)

[ Edited by Jupp3 16.08.2011 - 17:08 ]
  • »02.08.11 - 11:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    I think SATA/SCSI support for Powermac G4 was confirmed for MorphOS 2.8 .
  • »02.08.11 - 12:05
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    As you can read here in post #8, the next release will most likely support USB 3G modems (the same ones as AROS does at the moment). Not sure if it does count as a "confirmed" one though.
  • »02.08.11 - 16:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Nice!!! A new version number is confirmed!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »02.08.11 - 20:33
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    SATA SCSI for powermac .. that's already more then enough for me !
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »02.08.11 - 23:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    It would be nice to use my SCSI controller (and SATA is a cool option).
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »03.08.11 - 01:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    A new version of Lha (this one with the date fix).
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »03.08.11 - 05:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Has one of the MorphOS Development Team confirmed by written message that 2.8 will not support any Mac laptops? All I can remember seeing is a few discussions about some statements that were made a long time ago regarding which video cards support would come out before the laptops would be supported, but nothing firm that said that laptop support would definitely be in a separate release from the features listed as confirmed to be supported in 2.8.

Of course it is wishful thinking on my part that G4 PowerBook support will be included with 2.8, instead of 2.9, or 2.10, or later versions, but I do think it is possible for the team to complete the work for G4 PowerBook support and include it in 2.8 if they wish to delay that release until it is ready. The demos of MorphOS on the G4 PowerBook have been fairly complete, with only a few items still to be worked on as of many months ago, so they might be getting close to completing such work and releasing support for the G4 PowerBook soon.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.08.11 - 08:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I do think it is possible for the team to complete the work for G4 PowerBook support
    > and include it in 2.8 if they wish to delay that release until it is ready.

I'd prefer the MorphOS Team to release MorphOS 2.8 without PowerBook G4 support instead of delaying the other advancements until PowerBook G4 support is rated sufficient for release.
  • »03.08.11 - 13:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    The delay is not only because of PB support.

Unlike the last update, which was a bugfix release, the next update will be a big one again, which requires more work to check all the new parts and things included.

The MorphOS Team tends to release a fully featured bootable ISO for all supported systems with a proper installing mechnanism and not only some crappy archive with a bunch replacement files. This kind of quality takes time, even when the stuff is build automatically.

Geit
  • »03.08.11 - 15:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The delay is not only because of PB support.

What's that statement if not a confirmation of PowerBook G4 support in MorphOS 2.8? :-) Thanks for providing the information jacadcaps was so reluctant to give just 2 weeks ago :-) Will it come with R300 3D drivers as was said last year in Bad Bramstedt?
  • »03.08.11 - 15:31
    stephen_robinson
    geit,
    Quote:

Unlike the last update, which was a bugfix release, the next update will be a big one again, which requires more work to check all the new parts and things included.

Oh, such as? He asked innocently...
  • »03.08.11 - 17:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Andreas_Wolf,
    Quote:

What's that statement if not a confirmation of PowerBook G4 support in MorphOS 2.8?

It has been confirmed several times IRL before, so no news at all.

Geit

PS. but this is still no guarantee that it will be in. Other features have been dropped/delayed before, too

[ Edited by geit 03.08.2011 - 19:12 ]
  • »03.08.11 - 18:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > It has been confirmed several times IRL before, so no news at all.

Of course it's no news to those who already knew it. But it's news to me at least and I guess to most other members of MorphZone as well. So thanks for eventually breaking the news in non-RL ;-) And I ask again as you apparently overlooked my question: Will it come with R300 3D drivers? :-)
    And btw, at least until 2 weeks ago it must have been a secret still as seen in jacadcaps' reaction.
  • »03.08.11 - 18:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Andres I cannot imagine that MorphOS Team will be releasing their system to the new hardware without supporting basic stuff like 3D drivers like for example Acube and Hyperion did with Sam460. It's not Team's style.
    I can imagine that there won't be wifi support but for others it can be basic stuff as well.

Anyway, looking forward for a new version and even if it's paid upgrade I cannot care less :)

Edit: typos

[ Edited by pampers 03.08.2011 - 20:04 ]
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »03.08.11 - 20:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I cannot imagine that MorphOS Team will be releasing their
    > system to the new hardware without supporting basic stuff
    > like 3D drivers

Yes, I'm also of the opinion that releasing it without R300 3D drivers would be a no-go. Last year in Bad Bramstedt it was said that PowerBook support won't come without R300 3D drivers. The reason I ask is just that this decision *might* have changed in the meantime. After all, getting confirmation by MorphOS Team members is the objective of this thread, hence my question to geit. And as you can see for instance by reading what amigadave wrote, there're people who don't seem to consider 3D support to be "basic stuff", calling MorphOS without that feature "fairly complete" nonetheless.

> like for example Acube and Hyperion did with Sam460.

You can put a 3D supported Radeon in the Sam460's PCI slot ;-)

> It's not Team's style.

Yes, I very much hope so.

> I can imagine that there won't be wifi support

Yes, as they said that lack of wireless support won't hold back the release for PowerBook I don't expect it to be in. If it'll be, the better.

> for others it can be basic stuff as well.

Absolutely. I can imagine that when it comes to mobile computing many people would consider wireless support more important than 3D support.

> even if it's paid upgrade I cannot care less :)

For PowerBook it will be for sure ;-) For the rest I think it won't be as the version number "2.8" seems to be confirmed and they once said that all 2.x versions won't need another license for already registered hardware.
  • »03.08.11 - 21:42
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Geit

Thanks for the clarifications. I love your avatar btw brings me back...

Kind of dissapointing though this update as really all we get is somewhat improved 3d (big deal whne there is not much 3d games or apps) no PB support, no major OS changes.

DVD/CD writing is cool, and there seems to be nice stuff for pmac owners.. but other than that boorrring.l.... :) i'm still grateful though. I sure do wish for the development speed back in 2002. Now with real life jobs and things, morphos is going slow

Why dont we get radical and redesign amibient to make it a true 3d interface a la Sun's "Project Looking glass" ?

What about an Expose like window management system?

What happened to native Arexxx is CISC not part of the efforts anymore?

I'm sure R300 is in alpha at least by now why not release it?

instead of focusing on additional hw support why not start working on important port projects, or taking on old projects and brining them back (payprus for example)
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »03.08.11 - 22:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Thanks for the clarifications. [...] no PB support

Maybe my English skills are lacking but I read geit's statement as more like saying the opposite.

> What happened to native Arexxx

For existing ARexx scripts this might become a solution:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7711&forum=12

For new scripts on the other hand the solution could be this:

https://morph.zone/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1870

> payprus

This might play a role:

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=32&topic_id=7039&start=37
  • »03.08.11 - 23:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Andreas
    I think it is your english as "confirmed NOT to include" is pretty clear.
  • »03.08.11 - 23:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I think it is your english

Let's see.

> "confirmed NOT to include" is pretty clear.

Where can this phrase be found in geit's clarifications you thanked him for? In geit's statement, which is what I'm referring to and which was written 31 hours after the phrase you just quoted from Jupp3, I read regarding PowerBook support in MorphOS 2.8:

"It has been confirmed several times IRL before, so no news at all."

Maybe you could please paraphrase this statement for me as it seems it's too demanding for my poor English skills?
  • »03.08.11 - 23:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    andreas you dimwit post stalker I was referring to the OP's post. Read it again robot.
  • »03.08.11 - 23:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Magnetic, in this case Andreas is pretty right. You thanked Geit on the beginning of your post, which most ppl are likely to understand that you replied to geit. And geit just confirmed (more or less) that pb support will come in 2.8.

Anyway, no need for all the fuzz. It is not there yet and we|ll se what|s inside once it got released.

btw. looking glass, while I was pretty impressed when i saw that demo quite some years ago for teh first time, I don|t think it is handy. I like the classic 2d approach. I guess a 3d desktop gets easily into a mess. Albeit a fancy mess ;-)

Some Exposé-like feature I of yourse would welcome, too, but then again ther is the rmb click on the depth-gadget which offers you a list of all open windows and let you chose an window from the list. Not as nice as Expos, but okay.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.08.11 - 00:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > andreas you dimwit post stalker

You know very well that I don't mind your foul language. Only makes you look bad. And maybe you should follow my example and "stalk" posts some more in order for you to grasp what they actually say.

> I was referring to the OP's post.

Ah, that must be the reason you explicitly addressed geit when you wrote "Thanks for the clarifications". Makes sense. And that also explains why you replied to me saying "I read geit's statement as more like saying the opposite" with a quote from Jupp3 who we all know must be geit's sock puppet account.

> Read it again robot.

I did, schizo. And now?
  • »04.08.11 - 00:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Andreas

Unlike you i'm able to admit i'm wrong. And i'm glad I am.

BTW did you ever take my advice and actually go outside and get some air, and maybe perhaps talk to a girl or even touch one?

but wait robots are asexual no?
  • »04.08.11 - 00:40
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @magnetic

Dude, really? You need to chill out. Bigtime. And stop trolling aw.net :-D

edit: on topic, what about that MorphED replacement? Kinda expected it to be in the new SDK :-)

[ Edited by Stevo 04.08.2011 - 01:57 ]
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »04.08.11 - 00:54