• ASiegel
    @DiskDoctor

Quote:

(...) (...) reverse engineering is allowed (...) as long as this is for the purpose of interoperability (...) but as long as this does not yield producing a program of signifficantly similar form.

The actual quote from the Council Directive 91/250/EEC (May 14, 1991) is as follows: "to be used for the development, production or marketing of a computer program substantially similar in its expression, or for any other act which infringes copyright."

From a legal perspective, it apparently takes quite some effort to produce something that is considered "substantially similar in its expression." There are many examples for applications and even operating systems that contain parts that were developed using reverse engineering techniques to achieve interoperability. (OpenOffice.org & Microsoft Office, etc.)

Just as a reminder, the original software in question would be Commodore AmigaOS 3.1, which was released in 1994, or an even older version of it. Just based on screenshots alone, the difference between a default installation of AmigaOS 3.1 and MorphOS should be rather obvious.

Quote:

Besides, I myself wish US copyright regarding programs (patents n stuff) was implemented in EU. Saying no (like yourself) is a typical consumer attitude (or the attitude that shows not seeing why that was implemented that way). Anyway I claim my attitude is the ony one supporting commercial programmers or parties.

I would like to point out that there are thousands and thousands of professionals out there who develop software for a living, yet completely disagree with you for a variety of different reasons. This is a highly complex topic and should not be trivialized by separating opposing viewpoints into "consumer" (always looking for a free lunch) and "commercial" (just trying to make a living) categories.
  • »22.04.11 - 20:33