• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Dreamcast270mhz
    @macsociety

Let me know if you plan to some day, because I or a ton of people I know would kill to have one

@Andreas

You could see my arguement that way, definitely. But, for the purpose of this discussion, I will use BeOS as an example of MorphOS. I am in full support of porting to the G5 and it wasn't my intent to make it sound like I'm not in support of faster hardware, because the G5 is definitely a good move. What I intended to convey is that moving to a CISC or other RISC architecture is undesirable as it would require rewriting of critical portions of the OS, Trance, and require a set of new drivers. In addition, a PPC compatibility layer will probably be needed or else all software will need recompilation in order to work. A CISC platform also processes less efficiently per hz available, evident in the fact a 1.6ghz Pentium 4 runs slower than a 867 mhz G4 in many critical areas. Therefore the speed of the CPU must increase to compensate and so must the RAM and bus speed. In effect this only encourages less optimized coding and thus this is why my old 3ghz pentium 4 failed to run Doom 3 at more than 10fps whereas my Powerbook G4 does it at a constant 30fps.
    My Macs:
    Powerbook G4 ALU 1.5GHZ 15" 1.5GB OSX.5.8
    Powermac G4 MDD 1.5GHZ OSX.5.8 MOS2.7

Want a part for a Mac? Let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Amithlon is amazing, questions and help I can provide.
  • »19.03.11 - 15:19