ARM for the future?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ernsteiswuerfel
    Quote:

Jim schrieb:
    >...the PCIe-Macs...

I have been asking for those for a LONG time, and while I'm sure they have at least beta tested the idea for themselves, we haven't gotten them... ;-(

They would be very welcome indeed! You can add lots of RAM, modern PCIe (graphic) cards are available cheaply and the fans run more quiet than on their AGP-counterparts. Much more convenient for dual-booting with Linux, which I like.

But I don't count on it they will be supported soon. :-(
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »01.05.17 - 09:34
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Desktop machine? slots?

Last time I bought (well, built) a desktop machine with slots was 17 years ago!

OTOH this laptop does have PCIe ...for the SDD drive.

Show me an Aarch64/MIPS laptop with 4K screen and I'll buy it.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »01.05.17 - 09:36
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Desktop machine? slots?

WELL, THAT doesn't exist...;-)

...Yet.

But I do have a code to buy a Pine64 14" 64 bit ARM laptop for $99 sitting in my e-mail inbox (as of yesterday).

Although, personally, I wouldn't buy a desktop machine without slots ;-). Do they exist?
    Or are we actually talking about laptops (which I would STILL like to have some expansion capabilities built into)?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »01.05.17 - 10:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wouldn't buy a desktop machine without slots ;-). Do they exist?

Mac mini? iMac? (And their countless cheaper clones?)
  • »01.05.17 - 11:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Desktop machine? slots?

WELL, THAT doesn't exist...;-)

...Yet.

But I do have a code to buy a Pine64 14" 64 bit ARM laptop for $99 sitting in my e-mail inbox (as of yesterday).

Although, personally, I wouldn't buy a desktop machine without slots ;-). Do they exist?
    Or are we actually talking about laptops (which I would STILL like to have some expansion capabilities built into)?

ATX mobo with slots to stick in a nice big tower is what I want. :)
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

• »01.05.17 - 14:39
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Desktop machine? slots?

I was going to say wait for the Snapdragon 835 Windows machine later in the year, but it turns out there is one with a 4K display already:

Samsung Chromebook plus XE513C24-K01US

Turns out there's also bunch of ARM laptops available now from the likes of Acer and Asus. I had no idea!
  • »01.05.17 - 14:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Desktop machine? slots?

I was going to say wait for the Snapdragon 835 Windows machine later in the year, but it turns out there is one with a 4K display already:

Turns out there's also bunch of ARM laptops available now from the likes of Acer and Asus. I had no idea!

Not for sale in the UK and only 32GB storage that can't be replaced.

[ Edited by Intuition 01.05.2017 - 21:01 ]

• »01.05.17 - 17:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Desktop machine? slots?

I have one with compact PCIe that I don't use for SSD, but then, I don't limit myself to laptops.

I don't limit myself to laptops as such. I just haven't had a need for a desktop.

My last desktop (tower actually) was pretty decked out slot wise. 2x SCSI cards, network card, audio card and Firewire.
    When I got my first laptop (Powerbook G4) other than SCSI, these were all included. I didn't notice the SCSI missing because I really only had a DVD drive on it and the Mac had a burner built in.

Since then nothing has really changed. Anything I plug in is mostly USB. I do have a firewire mixing desk, but it's plugged into a Thunderbolt adaptor.

The new laptop has switched entirely to USB-C connectors and it puts everything across them. It is a bit annoying having to get (rather expensive) adaptors but cheaper USB-C stuff is appearing on the market now.

However, as I've discovered, USB has become a bit more complicated with time. You used to buy a USB device and plug in the cable...
    I had upgraded an older laptop to SSD but then I got the new machine. I thought I'd take the SSD out and use it as a backup drive for this machine. So, I ordered a USB-C HDD enclosure which has USB-C / USB 3.1.
    The standard Mac USB-C power cable does data but only at USB 2.0. So I ended up having to buy a separate high speed cable for USB 3.1.

If you're buying anything USB 3.1, make sure you check the specs of everything - even the cables.

BTW The same physical USB-C connectors on this machine also do Thunderbolt 3, it's the same speed as the PCIe slots in a PowerMac G5!

Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

minator wrote:

Not for sale in the UK and only 32GB storage that can't be replaced.

Not available in the UK? eBay is your friend ;-)

Built in storage is becoming quite common in laptops, in this case it is pretty small and it's eMMC, so slow as well.
    OTOH there are USB-C / 3.1 sockets if you need more storage and it should be faster as well.
  • »02.05.17 - 22:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Ebay Is Not Your Friend.
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »03.05.17 - 05:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    @Minator

None-replaceable internal storage is a no go for me.

Ideally a Snapdragon CPU with M.2 SSD, USB 3.1 A and C ports, ExpressCard or Thunderbolt ports, user upgradeable RAM and a 4K screen. And none of that ChromeOS rubbish unless I can put it in developer mode and install a proper OS. :)

Or as i said, an ATX mobo with ARM CPU and a few PCIe slots.

• »03.05.17 - 09:33
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    Ebay Is Not Your Friend.

I sell on eBay, and I am your friend.
    eBay just provides the marketplace for the sellers.
    And I have purchased a great many things there that I have received great deals on.
    Further, should an item not meet the specifications listed by the seller, and I have a problem obtaining a refund, eBay will compensate me directly.

Also, some of YOU have benefited from eBay, even if you didn't know it.
    The video card I sent Bigfoot for the development of the R500 drivers came from there.

SO...you ARE In Correct. ;-)

Quote:

minator wrote:

Neat, but rather expensive for a Chromebook.
    And, of course, no Microsoft Office (and NO, Open Office is NOT an adequate substitute).
    No doubt Microsoft is going to introduce a competitor to the Chromebook soon with Office as an option (ALTHOUGH, that would make me kinda of lean toward Google's product - I HATE it when MS rips off someone else's idea).

AND the Samsung mentioned is powered by ARM, not Intel, another positive for me.

[ Edited by Jim 03.05.2017 - 06:23 ]
  • »03.05.17 - 10:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    Ebay Is Not Your Friend.

I sell on eBay, and I am your friend.
    eBay just provides the marketplace for the sellers.
    And I have purchased a great many things there that I have received great deals on.
    Further, should an item not meet the specifications listed by the seller, and I have a problem obtaining a refund, eBay will compensate me directly.

Also, some of YOU have benefited from eBay, even if you didn't know it.
    The video card I sent Bigfoot for the development of the R500 drivers came from there.

SO...you ARE In Correct. ;-)

Quote:

minator wrote:

Neat, but rather expensive for a Chromebook.
    And, of course, no Microsoft Office (and NO, Open Office is NOT an adequate substitute).
    No doubt Microsoft is going to introduce a competitor to the Chromebook soon with Office as an option (ALTHOUGH, that would make me kinda of lean toward Google's product - I HATE it when MS rips off someone else's idea).

AND the Samsung mentioned is powered by ARM, not Intel, another positive for me.

I want a machine for real work not secretarial work so a lack of MS office products is fine by me. ;)

ChromeOS runs Android apps though which means it has MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint. My missus runs Android x86 on a Lenovo netbook and uses MS Word for writing books.

• »03.05.17 - 10:26
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dethknave
    Quote:

Yes, They are called Cloud Books , Acer makes them. I bricked one trying to get Linux on it.
    M$ buys GitHub?
    'Bout time to panic
  • »13.05.17 - 00:29
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    KimmoK
    My observations...

Power Architecture has been shown in roadmaps, especially for high performance needs.

Interestingly NXP ignores their e6500 when doing comparison that favors ARM:
    http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/supporting-information/DN-Digital%20Networking%20solution-2017.pdf (page 17)

10...15year longevity program at least ensure PPC availability.

Here, page 25, show NXP ARM chips closing up (and going beyond) vs NXP PPC in performance:
    http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/supporting-information/DN-Robotics%20and%20LS104x.pdf

Previous "hope" for new PPC chips I spotted here.
    http://www.kpda.ru/upload/iblock/4b0/akimenko_19.04.16.pdf (see page 12)
    LS3XXXp (EE 3Q2017 LE 2Q2018), LT31xxP (EE 4Q2017 LE 3Q2018), LT10xxP(e6500based, EE 3Q2017 LE 1Q2018)
    Vague "next gen" info was also shown for example here: (16Mar2016, page8)
    https://freescale.jiveon.com/docs/DOC-330317

So... unless NXP suddenly/unexpectedly puts out a 16nm PPC chip... I think we might not see any new PPC chip from NXP.
    (Telecoms has been very profitable for PPC, but companies have learned to use MIPS and ARM, so...)

[ Edited by KimmoK 24.05.2017 - 09:11 ]
    :-x :-P 8-)
  • »24.05.17 - 06:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

KimmoK wrote:

I think we might not see any new PPC chip from NXP.

You must be one of the last people to arrive at this conclusion.

:lol:
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.05.17 - 10:46
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    ...I want a machine for real work not secretarial work so a lack of MS office products is fine by me. ;)

ChromeOS runs Android apps though which means it has MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint. My missus runs Android x86 on a Lenovo netbook and uses MS Word for writing books.

So, she uses a Microsoft Office component to write books, but my insistence on it is for "secretarial work"?
    That's low, Nik.

My actual concern is that Open Office's spreadsheet isn't as fully featured as Excel and won't run the spreadsheets I've created.

BUT, if you know secretaries creating spreadsheets, then maybe its a little sexist to consider "secretarial work" demeaning. ;-)
  • »25.05.17 - 13:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Previous "hope" for new PPC chips I spotted here.
    > http://www.kpda.ru/upload/iblock/4b0/akimenko_19.04.16.pdf (see page 12)
    > LS3XXXp (EE 3Q2017 LE 2Q2018),
    > LT31xxP (EE 4Q2017 LE 3Q2018),
    > LT10xxP(e6500based, EE 3Q2017 LE 1Q2018)

This is similar to what was published one year before, just that the future PPC chips got postponed to about one year later (and that LT3xxxP became LT31xxP).
    Also interesting to see that the core of the two slower chips is indicated as e6500, whereas the high-performance chip lacks core indication.

P.S. more documents from 1st half of 2016 mentioning LT1/LS2/LS3 Power Architecture SoCs
  • »25.05.17 - 18:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

Intuition wrote:
    ...I want a machine for real work not secretarial work so a lack of MS office products is fine by me. ;)

So, she uses a Microsoft Office component to write books, but my insistence on it is for "secretarial work"?
    That's low, Nik.

My actual concern is that Open Office's spreadsheet isn't as fully featured as Excel and won't run the spreadsheets I've created.

BUT, if you know secretaries creating spreadsheets, then maybe its a little sexist to consider "secretarial work" demeaning. ;-)

Where's my dinner woman? ;)

Seriously though, I hear LibreOffice 5 is very good. Friend of mine is deputy chairman of a bank in Azerbaijan and he uses it. What for I have no idea, but I know he uses it.

My disdain for "typing" software is due to being forced to to GCSE IT in the early 90's at school which replaced Computer Science in the UK. Two miserable years of using Microsoft Works for DOS on 286's. Not memories I wish to recall lol

• »29.05.17 - 23:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Rather more meaty ARMs are starting to appear now:

Broadcom BCM58800

8 x A72 cores at 3GHz!
    2MB L2 per core
    8MB L3 shared
    3 x DDR4-2400 controllers
    PCIe 3 x16
    USB 3.0
    8 x SATA 3
    100Gb Ethernet
    Crypto and RAID support.
  • »05.08.17 - 22:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A10_Fusion
    > A10 is quad-core at 2.34 GHz clock rate (for the 2 "big" cores).
    > The new "big" core is named Hurricane, while the new "small" core is named Zephyr.

New:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A11

A11 is hexa-core (2 "big" cores, 4 "small" cores) at 2.39 GHz. The new "big" core is named Monsoon, while the new "small" core is named Mistral.

edit: added clock rate

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 21.11.2017 - 09:47 ]
  • »14.09.17 - 00:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    it's a monster! :-) And interesting to see that Apple has gotten into GPU development now as well...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.09.17 - 01:49
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    it's a monster! :-) And interesting to see that Apple has gotten into GPU development now as well...

As it will only be available in overpriced Apple product, it isn't relevant to me.
  • »15.09.17 - 14:09
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

minator wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    it's a monster! :-)

That it is. Well into laptop performance levels:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

Quote:

And interesting to see that Apple has gotten into GPU development now as well...

They've been using semi-custom GPUs for years now. Looks like they've finally gone full custom now.

Tell you what, YOU buy the extremely overpriced iPhone8, and I'll stick with my much more affordable Android phone.
    Apple fanatics creep me out almost as bad as Hare Krishnas.

I don't need a cell pone with a laptop grade cpu.

And btw, could we limit our discussion to computers?
    Cell phones may act as sort of a substitute, if your into eye strain a sore thumbs, but I'm not joining the fixated tiny screen zombies I everywhere in public these days. Its a little too much like crawling up your own asshole.
  • »25.09.17 - 02:50