• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Well, Matt is probably a bit special. And he was quite strongly promoting an ARM port of MorphOS. And I think generally that wouldn't be a bad thing. *IF* time and resources were huge that is. With given resources it was the best approach to focus on used ppc Macs for now. But once there will be a time when used ppc Macs won't be too sexy anymore. And what will come then is pretty unforseeable yet. Will ppc offer a future? I think it can (Freescale's pushing it again), but I wouldn't bet my last pair of trousers on that. And if ppc fails or nobody makes useable hardware?
    ARM is probably an easier target for MorphOS than x86 (because of the endianess, which seems to fit according to some trustworthy ppl¹). Remains to be seen whether ARM gains some shares of the netbook, tablet, notebok or desktop market. So far ARM hasn't been too successful on this (well, the iPad is ARM; RIM's playbook, too ). No matter how much ARM was hyped during the last two years, x86 is still and by far #1 in that domain (exept recent tablets).

Anyway, MorphOS does fine with and without Genesi. Hardware shortage is no issue for the next few years. But I don't think it would be of any disadvanatge if MorphOS and Genesi will cooperate again in some yet uncertain future.

--
    ¹ still I'd like to see a definitive answer to the question I raised long ago "What would happen if a 68k app running on a hypthetical MorphOS ARM with transparent 68k emulation would try to access, say, 0x00000004? Would it get a pointer to exec base or would it get elsewhere?"
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »19.11.10 - 00:53
    Profile Visit Website