Network performance on mac mini and morphos
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    jvdbossc
    I already posted this while working with 2.5 version. Is there any way a developer is going to look at it? I have a brand clean installation of morphos directly connected to a switch - there is nothing wrong with my network. It was a 2.6 install this time.

The network performance is way to slow - and if you work a complete day on other os's it is real slow comparing it, downloading the same lha files. Ubuntu goes much faster - XP goes much faster (if and when it's booted LOL)

I am a bit unhappy that a for a paid os, this should be at least being looked at. Should I follow some procedure to have a solution.. It's working on my nerves.

:-?

I am quite happy on other points, it runs modern 68000 apps quite nice - I even "stole" a few fom amikit and amiga os 3.9.
  • »03.11.10 - 18:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    There have been many different threads here about the variable performance of the Sungem Ethernet controller in the G4 MacMini, but I am unaware of any "Single" fix for all users. Many users, including most, or all of the MorphOS Development Team, have reported no problems with their network connection and the G4 MacMini, while others have reported intermittent connection slow-downs, myself included.

For myself, I have noticed that my download speed decreases when I use an additional 5 port switch connected to my Wireless Broadband Router (Linksys WRT54GS), which is connected to my ISP provided cable modem. Removing the Netgear switch helped reduce the instances of slow connections with my G4 MacMini, but did not eliminate them completely.

Search the threads here and you may find some useful information to help with your connection speed while running MorphOS2.6. The Dev Team will have to answer your question as to if the problem is being actively worked on. (It would be difficult for any Team members to work on it if none of them are experiencing the same problem and cannot reproduce the slow down on their computers)
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »03.11.10 - 22:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kickstart
    @jvdbossc

Im in the same situation, my connection speed is too slow, using switchs or directly connected to the router (i testes with some routers, switchs and dsl modems).

I have the following "idea", if developments cant reproduce this error, maybe running any kind of tool on a mac mini with slow connection can make a selfstatus and give a hardware response... and this response can give any clue for developers.

Not a good idea maybe but there is.
  • »04.11.10 - 01:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @jvdbossc

Your complaints aren't going to help if you fail to specify enough, precise details about your LAN/connection configuration. You did not even mention what you're downloading the file with / which protocol you are using for that.
  • »04.11.10 - 07:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    SixK
    Bits and Bytes.... Is it 8 times slower thant Windows ?

SixK
  • »04.11.10 - 08:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    jvdbossc
    First let me thank all of you for the input! I know complaining without action is not the right way to go.

But it's frustrating.

Well I am willing to run/post anything on here if that helps,but I think it's better that it is asked what to post.

I'll post some specs this evening, but what I can say for now

I mostly would use HTTTP - I use OWB and download from time to time some drivers for pc's (hp-dell-lenovo) and of course aminet. I just click on it so if directs to FTP .. If I download a small LHA file from aminet I notice it is always slow on morphos - I expect for a 1.5 file about 5 seconds on morphos it takes much longer.

CABLE MODEM (TV) = device giving the IP's
    goes to
    SWITCH (4 PORT LINKSYS)
    goes to
    ROUTER (USED AS SWITCH!)
    goes to

MAC MINI MORPHOS
    PIII XP = no problem here. (well lot's of, but that's normal)
  • »04.11.10 - 09:12
  • Just looking around
    sledge_77
    If I may chime in here: I'm having the same issue on a G4 mac mini 1.25 GHz running MorphOS 2.7.
    The box is directly connected to my Airport Extreme base station (via Ethernet) which in turn is connected to the cable modem. Everything else in the network has no problem whatsoever getting decent network speeds. It is just with morphos that downloads seem to take forever and max out around 150 KByte/s (my Internet line is 60MBit/s).

I know for certain that Geit does use a mac mini and he doesn't seem to have this issue. So my hopes are that this is fixed with 3.0. Can anyone let me know if there have been bug fixes to the Sungem Ethernet driver specifically? Or if there is an interim solution for us?
  • »30.11.11 - 22:20
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    You can try adding the following lines to envarc:sys/net/Netstack.config:

TCP_RECVSPACE=60000
    TCP_SENDSPACE=60000

And reboot (or restart the stack). In case network doesn't work anymore after that, decrease these values a bit.

As for OWB, if you want to get a bit more speed (>1.5MB/s), typing "setenv save OWB_POLLTIME 1" is needed.

With these settings, i get about 800kB/s speed on my 8MB/s line with OWB. I even get about 8MB/s from a webserver in my local network, but it's different. Due to the lack of the TCP window scaling feature in MorphOS TCP stack, we can't get much higher as the roundtrip increases. The "fix" would be to update the TCP stack to a more current one, which is obviously lots of work.
  • »01.12.11 - 00:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    sledge_77
    Hey MorphOs Developer!

Thanks for the response. I immediately implemented your suggestions. However, I'm afraid they don't make any difference to the network speed.
    I get between 300 and 600 Kbyte/s download speed in OWB and other applications (e.g. the TTF font downloading script that comes with OWB). The speed also goes up and down all the time.

The speed I'm getting is suspiciously close to what you'd expect from a 10 MBit line. Is there a way to easily check the link speed? Maybe the autonegotiation didn't work quite as it should.

Thanks again, Frank :-D
  • »01.12.11 - 22:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    I saw the network system on morphos performing nicely since the first version installed on my mini. Infact, downloads are fast and it feels responsive. Am i the only one who has a fast ethernet on morphos?.
    I have 10mb adsl line and use a wifi router connected via ethernet cable.
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »01.12.11 - 22:54
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    I have a 30mb down/10mb up DOCSIS setup.. just made that change.. was getting 168kb/sec. Rebooting and will retest/reply.
  • »27.12.11 - 17:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    nope. no difference.
  • »27.12.11 - 17:27
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    I also have poor network performance with MacMini... OWB gives 810-820kB/s and Wget even less, averaging 630kB/s. On Windows7 with any tools, same file, same server I get the topspeed of 1000+kB/s .. the difference is quite remarkable.

Especially the Wgets result is disappointing... couldn't find other version for MorphOS than ancient 1.9.1 though.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »28.12.11 - 05:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

You can try adding the following lines to envarc:sys/net/Netstack.config:

TCP_RECVSPACE=60000
    TCP_SENDSPACE=60000

FYI, setting these higher than 28k (which is the default anyway) may have unintended effects...

IIRC, it'll run just fine for a while, and then suddenly the network will stop responding (if you enable logging it will tell you that recv/sendspace is full, or something to that effect).

- CISC
  • »28.12.11 - 08:29
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @hooligan

That's about what you can expect, considering the TCP stack doesn't support TCP window rescaling. So results can vary a bit depending on servers, because of that too.

Just for the record (not that it helps), in a LAN you would get much higher values. Try downloading from a local FTP/Web server to compare (with OWB i get about 11MB/s when reducing a bit the timer polling time).

@cisc

Yes, i know that at some point, a too high value can make it fail. 60000 is the right value for me, though. Never failed me in my machines in about a year.

[ Edited by Fab 28.12.2011 - 12:27 ]
  • »28.12.11 - 13:25
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    @Fab

I was already planning setup up an ftp-server this evening since sadly the Samba is a bit of a bitch to set up with Win7 (even with instructions). Will do some speedtests today.

How about OWB vs Wget speed difference.. any idea whats causing that? Could a port of more recent release of Wget be of any help?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »28.12.11 - 13:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I've never had speed issues with my two Mac minis... earlier when Mac mini support was introduced on MorphOS I got these kinds of transfer speed values with my 1.42GHz mini. About the max as it should be in LAN and with 10Mbps internet connection.

I tried now with the latest MorphOS and 1.5GHz mini couple of quick tests and got similar values... FTP on LAN was still as fast or even bit faster, but on internet access I "only" got about 900-1000kB/s values, but I have different ISP now and it probably affects.

I have had default Netstack.config values on both tests...
  • »28.12.11 - 16:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mabo
    Hi! Any update ?
  • »03.06.13 - 16:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    My mac mini 1.5ghz got 3MB/sec on a local ftp. so netstack is greatly improved on morphos 3.2
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »03.06.13 - 17:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mabo
    mine go to 9,33 MB from 2.6

problem is wan to all of us
  • »03.06.13 - 17:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Any update ?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8914&forum=11&start=45
    http://moobunny.dreamhosters.com/cgi/mbmessage.pl/amiga/237433.shtml
  • »03.06.13 - 21:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > 3MB/sec on a local ftp. so netstack is greatly improved on morphos 3.2

This doesn't sound too much considering the pre-3.2 Netstack was reported to be way faster.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7327&forum=16&start=5
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8782&forum=3&start=5
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8914&forum=11&start=9
  • »03.06.13 - 22:10
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Doffo
    Might of been my lousy NAS drive limiting itself.
    -=-=-=-
    YUUUP!
  • »04.06.13 - 02:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

Doffo wrote:
    Might of been my lousy NAS drive limiting itself.

Try using a segmented download accelerator to grab a file as it will saturate your bandwidth and give you a better idea of how fast the network connection is on your MorphOS machine.

If you have a 10Mb broadband connection for instance try using

Code:
    axel -n10 http://name_of_file.url

(Use the URL of a large ISO image or something similar that is on a server in your locale or better still on your ISP's servers)

http://mos.aminet.net/comm/tcp/axel-2.4-mos.lha

[ Edited by Intuition 04.06.2013 - 04:17 ]
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »04.06.13 - 04:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    catohagen
    Still waiting for people reaching Roadshow's performance of 33-34MB/s on the Powerbook's gigabit port and the new Netstack :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyrdo5tonTw

(i know piru got higher MB/s on private netstack beta/devel version, but several morphos developers have also claimed there was nothing wrong with netstack in mos 2.x->3.1)

[ Edited by catohagen 04.06.2013 - 12:04 ]
  • »04.06.13 - 05:29