• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Quote:

jcmarcos wrote:

go to bPlan, have them desing a REALISTIC computer for you

I see no way how bplan could have developed a PA6T and XCore based board significantly cheaper to build than Varisys did.

Sure, but I used the generic term "computer" with intention. Why targetting that specific CPU? Who cares about CPUs nowadays? Or it's a firm sales guarantee?

Also, I mention bPlan because, what a coincidence, Gerald Carda and Thomas Knabel designed glorious hardware for the Amiga back in the day. I thing that would indeed be an incentive for die hard amigans, if used in marketing. In fact, it would mean the only connection to that glory days every one wants to take a buck out of.

Quote:

Likewise I don't see why Varisys couldn't or wouldn't have developed an MPC8610 (or similarly priced processor) based board

Indeed. Is the PA Semi part the thing that's making the X1000 so bloody expensive? Then, it's not an advantage, it's the biggest mistake of the whole project. Is it a very fast CPU? Heck, who needs that in an Amiga? To brag about againts PC friends? That'll be so childish it hurts even thinking about it.

Quote:

(with or without XCore)

Another mistake. Who really believes this weirdo coprocessor is going yo mean anything useful? You are going to plug in a GPU a dozen times more powerful anyway. Oh, but you can't code it to its limits, pity.

Quote:

if someone had commissioned them to do so.

I wonder about how much time they took to decide the hardware specs. Perhaps it was in a ten minute rush, on one of those nostalgia afternoons with other amigan pals. It usually ends up in something like "grab the biggest there is, whatever it costs".

Quote:

I don't see anything bad per se in choosing Varisys over bplan.

Nor anything good. No amiga market experience, for a start. But yes, of course, there are many computer design firms. But bPlan's experience might have been the only sane part of the project.

Quote:

Didn't the MorphOS port to the Efika 5200B commence not before Genesi paid for it, when the transition from MPC5200 to MPC5200B was already done?

I don't know, but I seem to recall comments from Matt "Neko" Sealey on "powerdeveloper.org", saying they indeed had problems with the first version of the MPC5200. It's possible I'm putting those into the MorphOS port, and they weren't.

Quote:

Ten years ago there was no Thendic in a MorphOS context. They came into play a bit later.

Yes, MorphOS started as a pure software project for phase 5's PowerUP accelerators (made by the same people that formed bPlan afterwards). Then, bPlan made the Pegasos computer, and for a while, this Pegasos/MorphOS combination existed withoout the Thendic term existing. Soon, Bill Buck and Raquel Velasco (BBRV), known from the VisCorp affair, came into scene. But could it be that bPlan made the Pegasos out of Thendic's wallet, to some extent?

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Why do you guys bother to mail or phone this Altman guy? If you don't like the thing, don't buy it.

Indeed. It looks as if we just wanted to be cruel to some guys. That attitude come out of frustration many times, and I don't see it much in this MorphOS land. In that regard, we're no amigans.
  • »06.09.10 - 08:16