• Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Jim, that e-mail from Altman was an amusing read. At least, it showed the man has an unprecedent amount of energy to spend on... well... nothing. It really looks as if writing that e-mail was the last thing he did, just before his head exploded like a supernova.
    But he is right in one detail: Why did you hide behind an alias, not showing your real identity? At least you are "Jim" over here. Talking about your identity here, I think your avatar holds a flamethrower? Could it be that you used it in your first e-mail to Altman?

Quote:

HammerD wrote:

Do you really believe they are tring to make a crapload of money off of the X1000? I can think of a million better ways to make money. If I wanted to really PROFIT I would certainly not choose the Amiga market as my number one choice.

Yes but, like you say, Trevor IS a very long time Amiga fan. And thus, he SHOULD have devised a realistic plan, not this ye again, once more, "superpower computer" scheme that noone believes, not is able to buy.

Quote:

I think the motivation is not really about money but trying to advance the Amiga platform.

Then, grab some money from credible investors, go to bPlan, have them desing a REALISTIC computer for you, and insist in making them solder down one of those rare Transputer things, to have that "unique" spec no one else has.

As for the operating system, why not MorphOS? That team really does have a good track record. The Pegasos DID EXIST and was SOLD, and was born with MorphOS. After that, the Efika came. It's true it took a very long time to port MorphOS, but I think there were also hardware problems that delayed it (see that "B" letter in the CPU name).

Heck, it was done ten years ago! It was called Thendic, now Genesi (hunting more boring opportunities now).

Quote:

When you produce in low volumes a high-spec PPC board like this, of course it's going to be expensive.

Of course, we all know that! What chokes on people is not that low volume means a high price, is the fact of picking this disadvantage as the starting point for a new market. It's insane. Computers are expected to be almost free today. The same goes for software. Check the amount of things you can do with a five hundred dollar regular computer today. There's no way you can compete with that, ever. Instead, they pick an elitist scheme that looks, smells and walks like a profiteering strategy.
  • »03.09.10 - 08:47