• Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    takemehomegrandma wrote:

Quote:

It's an absolutely insane price. It's outright ridiculous. And the only reason some people would even consider paying that kind of money, is because it is some "sacred Amiga branded stuff". It's certainly *not* for the qualities and performance of the hardware; it's 2007 level performance stuff with bog standard PC controllers anyway. It smells profiteering a long way.

Do you really believe they are tring to make a crapload of money off of the X1000? I can think of a million better ways to make money. If I wanted to really PROFIT I would certainly not choose the Amiga market as my number one choice.

Trevor (head of A-EON) is an Amiga user and owns pretty much every machine under the sun, including MorphOS machines, and has a clear love for the Amiga, going way back to the Amiga 1000.

I think the motivation is not really about money but trying to advance the Amiga platform.

And yes, it's an insane price. When you produce in low volumes a high-spec PPC board like this, of course it's going to be expensive. Producing ANY product in low volumes has a higher per unit price. When you start to mass-produce you see the savings.

This has been the case on every piece of "new" amiga hardware since Commodore died. I find it crazy that people still don't get that. Low volume = high price.

By the way, this high price (including Pegasos-2 which cost me over $1000 - same price as my MicroA1) was one of the reasons why the MorphOS team has moved to cheap second hand PPC macs.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »02.09.10 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website