• Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Well, if this isn't successfully challenged

How could it? Amiga Inc is free to do whatever they want with their own IP.

Here is my take on it (somewhat ripped out of a context):

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=577157&postcount=61

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=577162&postcount=65

Quote:

the last tiny bit of credibility associated with the Amiga name goes out the window.

Didn't that go away when Amiga Inc proclaimed "Amiga is dead, long live Amiga" already?

From that it was just down hill IMO, and the more legal clercs that got involved in the mess, the further down it went... ;-)

Quote:

As a MorphOS supporter, I should be less concerned with this, but it's hard not to be offended.

Personally, I'm not the slightest offended by this. Rather the opposite, I think it's kind of cool that someone with a chance of creating a product that some people might actually want and can afford, will be able to sell it under a Commodore Amiga brand. Will be fun to see what (if anything) actually comes out of this. :-)

Quote:

What Hyperion and A-eon have been working on required a real investment in time and money.

They have never owned the Amiga trademark, even though they may have fooled people into believing so. If they have made some business plan based on false assumptions, it's their mistake, and their problem.

Could it perhaps be that they have spent that investment in time and money on something that nobody *really wants* after all? When you look at what is really underneath the brand sticker, when you look at the actual product?

And why the "pity game" about Hyperion? Hyperion's history (and the people associated with it) is quite dark and dirty, they are everything but the innocent little lambs that some people wants to make them. On top of that, the way they obtained the "settlement" that granted them the rights to use some specific trade marks, was quite ugly IMHO (not that I care the slightest about Amiga Inc, but anyway). And now, together with A-EON they are trying to pull off a profiteering scheme, by abusing and destroying the trade mark even further.

The *beta class hardware* they are about to sell to consumers (who won't be treated as consumers (LINK)) will cost 1150 UKP ~ 1780 USD ~ 1400 EUR (LINK). Plus shipment, Plus VAT, Plus everything you need to make a computer out of this mainboard with memory.

It's an absolutely insane price. It's outright ridiculous. And the only reason some people would even consider paying that kind of money, is because it is some "sacred Amiga branded stuff". It's certainly *not* for the qualities and performance of the hardware; it's 2007 level performance stuff with bog standard PC controllers anyway. It smells profiteering a long way.

But not only that, they shamelessly plans to do one of the pre-payment schemes, where they will raise at least a hefty 75,000 EUR from these consumers (who won't be treated as consumers) before anyone has even seen the thing, presumably as a way to shift the financial risk of upfront payment for producing the first batch from themselves to the consumers.

Only "AmigaOne TM" makes this possible. Blind Amiga Followers forms a line to hand over their cash to these people. Not because the people behind it are good (because they aren't), not because the hardware is good, or anything like that, but because it's "AmigaOne TM".

Look at MorphOS for a change. It is doing just fine. Without the Amiga name. It's doing fine by aiming for Amiga excellence. People use it for this reason, not for some "bogus" trade mark that Ben Hermans has forced from Amiga Inc.

Had some people only stopped for a minute to think about "What is Amiga, what is it to me? What is 'the real' when it comes to 'NG', is it the best Amiga compatibility, the best performance, the best features? Or is it all about a trade mark that Ben Hermans managed to squeeze out from the Amiga Inc?"

This will be a very healthy eye-opener for many people! "What is Amiga?", "What is 'the real'?"

Maybe people will start looking at *the actual products* instead of a slapped on trade mark sticker as a result? If so, it won't be a bad thing at all...

Quote:

This "Amiga" grabs its OS from the hard work of others in our community (for free of all things).

This "Amiga" will be *exactly* as much Amiga as A-EON's "AmigaONE", it will be *exactly ZERO difference*! They are dubbed "Amiga" in exactly the same way; through a license from Amiga Inc, so they can slap an Amiga sticker on it. Only difference is, that this one will also have a Commodore sticker on it. And since the stickers is the only, single reason to why some people buys some stuff, the only question is whether you consider *two* stickers to be better than just one! Surely a Commodore + Amiga sticker will be better than just one Amiga sticker?

And Guess what, AROS is free, open source, so it's completely free for anyone to use it. Actually, I think the AROS people would be kind of glad if they did!

Quote:

So how much would it cost to support an X1000 port of MorphOS? I'd hate to see that project disappear thanks to the maneuvers of a dick not named Terrence.

Perhaps you have missed the publicly know fact that a MorphOS port for "X1000" will *never* happen, thanks to the maneuvers of a dick not named Herr Mans...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.09.10 - 22:54