Mr Papara and year 2013
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Hehe, so you were knowing that there is at least "minimal" chance ; )
    Let me finish the concept (Linux-side, should be done by end of april) and than we can start talking again.
    Everything else depends on Team MorphOS interests/plans and resources.

New facts:
    I will try to provide a working ground (security aspects)
    There is no "YES" by Team MorphOS so far.
  • »13.03.11 - 18:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Hehe, so you were knowing that there is at least "minimal" chance ; )

Not quite. I don't know the MorphOS Team's internal 'rules' to come to a decision for or against certain new target hardware (be it physical or emulated), so I don't know if CISC would even be allowed to collaborate with you on this project (provided he wants to). But asking can never hurt, I guess. Only the answer can tell you if there's "at least "minimal" chance".

> Everything else depends on Team MorphOS interests/plans and resources.

Yes, that's why pega-1 said you should "avoid (ab)using MorphOS for [your] sales propaganda", meaning that you shouldn't even mention MorphOS in the context of your products as long as you don't even know if the MorphOS Team is interested in collaborating with you. At least that's how I understand what pega-1 said.
  • »13.03.11 - 18:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    Quote:

phoenixkonsole wrote:
    No i don't let develop anything from scratch. So it means that the changed code had to be made public which means again that everyone could build his own MOS-Emu... which is bad because you could just share images.(piracy)

I am talking about:
    Create a fictional PPC HArdware based on Dolphins code
    A WII HD with more Ram if you like.

sincerely, I don't think It's a project interesting in this way (use a very powerful X64 system to use an hosted emulated OS PowerPC, MorphOS).
    It could be useful as testing, developing platform, but not for end users.
    I hope one day, MorphOS team will port their OS MorphOS to X64, and inside itself using a PowerPC and 68K emulator for legacy software.
  • »13.03.11 - 19:07
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Yes, I think you've hit it dead on the nail Divinity. A native X86 port of MorphOS that could run 68K and PPC code via JIT code translation would be faster and an all around more desirable project.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »13.03.11 - 21:11
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Sure, but my intention is mainly to have all kind of Amiga on one machine. It could be used to make the transition to x86 or as crossdevelopment machine. Or it just means that my customers can easely get access to MorphOS (as hobby os).

That is enough for me (personally).
  • »14.03.11 - 09:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > my intention is mainly to have all kind of Amiga on one machine.

Easy. Get AROS ported natively to the Pegasos II ...just joking ;-)
  • »14.03.11 - 12:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    @Andreas_Wolf:
    Quote:

Maybe you should talk to MorphOS Team member CISC. He thinks that "among current-gen consoles the Wii is still the most likely candidate for MorphOS". So maybe he's interested in a port of MorphOS to an emulated (and extended) Wii as well.

Heh, you need to stop quoting me as if there's ever any actual chance that it will happen... ;)

Quote:

Not quite. I don't know the MorphOS Team's internal 'rules' to come to a decision for or against certain new target hardware (be it physical or emulated), so I don't know if CISC would even be allowed to collaborate with you on this project (provided he wants to). But asking can never hurt, I guess. Only the answer can tell you if there's "at least "minimal" chance".

Well, what I can tell you though is that emulator-support is not likely to ever see the light of day outside of bigfoot's Look-What-I-Can-Do projects, mostly due to obvious reasons like impossible to control licenses etc.

Additionally I'm currently not in a position to work on anything MorphOS related, and probably won't be for quite some time (mainly due to time-constraints, but there are also some practical issues that need to be resolved (basically I have no up-and-running MorphOS hardware (it's not broken, it just has nowhere to live (power) and breathe (network))). :P

- CISC
  • »14.03.11 - 13:19
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > emulator-support is not likely to ever see the light of day outside of
    > bigfoot's Look-What-I-Can-Do projects

Alright, so much for phoenixkonsole's hope for "at least "minimal" chance" then.
  • »14.03.11 - 14:15
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > This person does not talk in behalf of the MorphOS Team. Why he keeps
    > posting in such a fashion that might give this impression is beyond me.

While I don't know if this has anything to do with phoenixkonsole, on amiga-news.de a user reports (in German) that Amiga Future magazine issue #89 says that "MorphOS may soon run on Intel processor (probably emulated)".
    It would be interesting to know who the author of the article is, who the source he puts there for the claim is (if any) and what the exact wording of the statement is. Any Amiga Future subscribers here who can shed some light?
    Posting statements pulled out of thin air to Internet message boards is one thing, but having those end up in printed magazines adds another sad quality I think.
  • »17.03.11 - 16:30
    Kronos
    @AW

That would be the interview with ..... well guess yourself :xx:
  • »17.03.11 - 19:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > That would be the interview with ..... well guess yourself

Thanks for answering. So my (tacit) suspicion has been spot on, and I posted this in the appropriate thread ;-)
  • »17.03.11 - 19:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> the April 2010 roadmap lacks the step to 22 nm which is shown by
    > these 4 older documents.

Third generation QorIQ has reappeared on the roadmap in January ("22 nm" was changed to "future technology node" though):

http://www.freescale.com/files/netcomm/doc/fact_sheet/QORIQOV.pdf (page 2)
  • »18.03.11 - 00:56
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Pascal Papara wrote:
    >> AROS in 5 years is 64Bit, could be the base of MorphOS x86.

> Another very disturbing phrase

Some thoughts by Jason "Ezrec" McMullan of AROS/m68k fame on the prospect of AROS/x86 forming the base for MorphOS/x86:

http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-03-00089-EN.html

The one thing I wonder is how the single address space OS that is MorphOS (or rather its A-Box) shall be able to gain "PowerPC-compatibility with the help of a Rosetta-kind of PPC-to-x86-interface" when the way Rosetta works relies on separated address spaces for each task, AFAIK.
  • »01.04.12 - 12:17
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mabo
    So Morphos on x86/64 is at the gate ?? Fantastic! :D

x86/64 is Knockin' on MorphOS's Door

I cannot wait :)

[ Edited by Mabo 22.09.2013 - 15:11 ]
  • »22.09.13 - 14:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > So Morphos on x86/64 is at the gate ?? Fantastic! :D x86/64 is Knockin' on MorphOS's Door
    > I cannot wait :)

As we now can be assured of, MorphOS did not "stop using PowerPC in 2013" :-)
  • »15.01.14 - 12:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > So Morphos on x86/64 is at the gate ?? Fantastic! :D x86/64 is Knockin' on MorphOS's Door
    > I cannot wait :)

As we now can be assured of, MorphOS did not "stop using PowerPC in 2013" :-)

Thanks! We wouldn't have noticed it without you...
  • »15.01.14 - 19:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    so why are people allways asking for new HW. didt this issue get resolved years ago.
    find it quite funny that people keep asking for HW ports, when we know the team is busy bug fixing and getting R300 driver better etc. they are still just a hand full of people.

The time for new HW ports came and left, when they started Macmin G4 ports. now its Powermac G5 ports. soo until they say its gonna be anything else then PowerPC.
    just stop holding your breaths.....

"I want PS3 port!" no thanks.
    "I want ARM port!" why?
    "I want Mos on x86" go aros?

Thank you MorphOS Team, cant wait for the next great thing your gonna bring us! ;P

X
  • »15.01.14 - 20:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Thanks!

You're welcome.

> We wouldn't have noticed it without you...

I take your word for it ;-P
  • »15.01.14 - 20:59
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    wolfe
    I would rather the MorphOS team concentrate on improving the OS for the hardware we already have. Looking to the future is good, but at present the OS doesn't fully support the hardware its on.

Jit for emu, wifi (Airport), printing (cups), Improved USB stack (audio usb out & capture, video out & capture), audio capture on native inputs, firewire stack improvement, duel monitor support, 3D support for all 2D supported video cards, at least for the ATI cards, firewall and server capabilities not to mention HD drivers/HDMI etc....

Every time MOS runs on one piece of hardware, people want it to run on something else before the OS has matured on the hardware its currently on. Spending more time on new drivers than substance for what we already have.

I would prefer a more complete OS, to improve the already impressive user experience. I don't want it to be a hobby OS.

If i'm wrong or overlooked something, I apologize. I have been away for the most part for almost 2 years (Busy fighting the big C.), touching base as possible over time. My main connection with wifi and the world has been a freaking iPad. Boring.
  • »16.01.14 - 06:17
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Jit for emu

Which emu do you mean? MorphOS' integrated m68k emu has a JIT called Trance that's activated by default. And E-UAE for MorphOS has been released with JIT recently.

> 3D support for all 2D supported video cards

I don't think using resources for implementing 3D support for ancient SiS, XGI or 3DLABS cards would be worthwhile. And even TinyGL support for Goa3D-supported 3dfx cards is debatable in my opinion.

> at least for the ATI cards

Do you mean the Rage128 Pro here? While there are MorphOS-supported Macs that originally came with this card, it only has 16 MiB VRAM, which is way too little for even semi-serious 3D use today.
    In case you mean TinyGL support for the Goa3D-supported Radeon 7x00 (R100) cards, which go up to 64 MiB VRAM (while in stock cards for Macs only up to 32 MiB), this would be nice indeed, especially given that they already had TinyGL support in pre-3.0 MorphOS with the old Rave3D-based tinygl.library.
  • »16.01.14 - 09:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

>> http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2012-03-00089-EN.html

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=797632
  • »19.10.15 - 15:03