Amiga Event Essen and MorphOS Team
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Team, that was a great appeareance, and a lot more than expected was shown. Congratulations!
  • »26.07.10 - 09:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    +1 jmarcos,

I think all Amiga users should be pleased after this weekend.

AmigaOS4.x users have the SAM440ep and flex, and soon the SAM460 and X1000 to run their preferred OS on, AROS will have WLAN and new Video card drivers in the near future as well as additional improvements and the cheapest, fastest "NEW" hardware to choose from, while us MorphOS users have just seen further progress on G4 PowerMac and PowerBook with the possibility for future releases supporting the G4 iBook and the G5 PowerMac.

I can't imagine any Amiga user wanting to leave the community right now without sticking around for at least another 6 to 12 months to see what we have by that time in the way of hardware support for all three "Next Gen" Amiga systems.

I think it is going to be a great next 12 months and can't wait to see MorphOS running on both the G4 PowerBook at 1.67GHz and the G5 PowerMac at 2.7GHz!

All that is missing is more great programmers to give us all more native software to run that is closer to comparable software for other more mainstream OSes. With MorphOS able to run on more and more hardware that is available dirt cheap, hopefully we can get more programmers (like Fab & others here) to come back and write code for MorphOS programs (not that Fab ever left or came back, just pointing out that he is one of, if not THE best and most productive programmer who is actively porting software to MorphOS).

I know I am happy about this weekend's news. Must start saving for a 1.67GHz 15.2" or 17.1" PowerBook and after that a G5 PowerMac next year.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.07.10 - 11:21
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

+1 jmarcos,

Tanks Date.

Quote:

I think all Amiga users should be pleased after this weekend.

It's being an unusually good period, right.

Quote:

AROS will have WLAN

WOT? Really? That's one of the key pieces missing in the MorphOS puzzle! Can we have that too, pleeeeease pretty pretty please?

Quote:

I can't imagine any Amiga user wanting to leave the community right now without sticking around for at least another 6 to 12 months

Sell said! That period is, indeed, a blink of the eye to many of us here, that consider waiting as the number one sport activity as an amigan.
  • »26.07.10 - 11:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What Andreas has failed to point out to you is that he's already
    > provided us with figures that point out that the PA6T at similar
    > clock speeds would be less powerful than a G5

What you have failed to point out is that these were Dhrystone figures, not real world ones ;-)

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=74512#74512

But yes, I think the PA6T will lose to the PPC970 in performance per clock, but not nearly as much as the Dhrystone figures suggest.
  • »26.07.10 - 11:51
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Again, you're right Andreas,
    And the advantage the X1000 will have using PCIe slots (which only the last G5s have) may make a more significant difference.
    Still, having access to cheap and really powerful equipment will definitely be a bonus when compared to the X1000.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »26.07.10 - 15:43
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    So if MorphOS runs on iBooks is there any support
    for Wlan be planned in near future (incl. WPA(2) support)?
    regards
    eliot
  • »26.07.10 - 17:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    PowerMac G5? Hell yes!! What's the next step MorphOS Team, your own board ;)?

Very glad to see that kind of news.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »26.07.10 - 18:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Again, you're right Andreas,
    And the advantage the X1000 will have using PCIe slots (which only the last G5s have) may make a more significant difference.
    Still, having access to cheap and really powerful equipment will definitely be a bonus when compared to the X1000.

But what drivers will OS4.x have for this slot?
  • »26.07.10 - 19:47
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the possibility for future releases supporting the G4 iBook

I'm not aware of anything new being said about iBook support, apart from DrZarkov's misinformation he placed at various message boards without clarifying it there even after he had become aware of the truth.
  • »26.07.10 - 19:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> AROS will have WLAN

> WOT? Really?

There's even someone counting down: http://www.arosaspire.org
  • »26.07.10 - 20:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if MorphOS runs on iBooks

*sigh*
  • »26.07.10 - 20:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > what drivers will OS4.x have for this slot?

The X1000 is announced to come with OS4 drivers for its R700 (probably R730) based PCIe graphics card. Whether it'll be 2D only or both 2D and 3D remains to be seen.
    Btw, the X1000s (there were two running) in Essen used PCIe cards (RV516 and RV570 based respectively) as opposed to the RV280 based PCI card at VCF.
  • »26.07.10 - 20:35
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Everyone who isn't familiar with Red (and I'm sure some of you are) might want to welcome an experienced Amiga supporter who's just started working with MorphOS and has unloaded a lot of his classic Amiga hardware to sell lots of eMacs.
    While I'm not a customer, I first ran into him via Ebay (which my wife and I sell some merchandise on) where the store he maintained often had loads of difficult to find systems and components.
    I don't know if he's still operating the store, but I can vouch for his frequent knowledgeable posts on Amiga.org.
    Yet another sharp Amigan converts to MorphOS!
  • »27.07.10 - 01:06
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    BTW - I know I'm not supposed to buy hardware before its supported, but how am I supposed to resist buying a 2.7 Ghz G5 Powermac?
    I mean if MorphOS is already faster than AmigaOS, and the G5 may be slightly more powerful than a PA6T, AND that machine has a 50% clockspeed advantage...
  • »27.07.10 - 01:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Red [...] just started working with MorphOS

Really? Have a look at his joining date on this site and read up his old postings.

> Yet another sharp Amigan converts to MorphOS!

*Re*-converts, that is ;-)
  • »27.07.10 - 02:37
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    2003? I guess that was rather stupid of me not to look at those stats.

Anyway, apparently the market for used eMacs has improved somewhat since the introduction of support for them. Who says MorphOS doesn't affect the value of used Macs? I swear I've seen a swing upward in the price of 1.5Ghz Mac Minis since their support was introduced.

[ Edited by Jim on 2010/7/27 4:08 ]
  • »27.07.10 - 03:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Eh, iBook? There was not a word said about iBook support in Essen. In fact, afaik we only have 1 MorphOS Team member that even owns one - all others have moved into PowerBooks. While I had MorphOS working on my 1.33 iBook sometime around 2006, it needs much more work than the last PowerBook revisions - therefore don't expect anything. It might happen one day (if bigfoot is bored enough to do ADB keyboard/touchpad support), but it may as well never happen.
  • »27.07.10 - 07:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    @Jim:
    > I swear I've seen a swing upward in the price of 1.5Ghz Mac Minis since their support was introduced.

I would claim the opposite. My first Mac mini 1.5, bought in February 2009 (so, before MorphOS 2.4) was more expensive than the same models I've seen recently on ebay. A fallen pricetag would make much more sense IMHO, since the last Mac mini G4 are nearly 5 years old and they aren't supported anymore by the latest OS X release (which has more impact on the pricetag than MorphOS support, i guess...)
  • »27.07.10 - 08:12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    BTW - I know I'm not supposed to buy hardware before its supported, but how am I supposed to resist buying a 2.7 Ghz G5 Powermac?
    I mean if MorphOS is already faster than AmigaOS, and the G5 may be slightly more powerful than a PA6T, AND that machine has a 50% clockspeed advantage...

yes, It's very powerful :-) I have a little PowerMac Dual G5 @2.0ghz (used with GeForce FX 5200 64Mb or ATI Radeon 9250 128Mb), give a look here:
    http://amiga.ikirsector.it/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13185&start=0

[ Edited by Divinity on 2010/7/27 9:57 ]
  • »27.07.10 - 08:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    Quote:

(if bigfoot is bored enough to do ADB keyboard/touchpad support)

ADB ??? but ADB is a very very very old standard Apple for keyboard, mouse, tablet... Is It useful for MorphOS in 2010 ? :-?

exemple
    http://media.macworld.co.uk/cmsdata/news/24596/Apple_ADB_Keyboard-535.jpg

[ Edited by Divinity on 2010/7/27 10:09 ]
  • »27.07.10 - 09:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > at the moment Are supported ATI Radeon 9600, 9700, 9800 in 2D or either in 3D ?

Still 2D only.

• »27.07.10 - 09:11
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @Divinity:

Old as in used in pre-2005 iBooks and PowerBooks. Only the last two revisions of PowerBooks and the last revision of iBook have usb keyboard/touchpad.
  • »27.07.10 - 09:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Divinity
    ?
    I know only powermac G3 (Kanga, WallStreet and WallStreet II) with ADB port (not Ibook G3 with ADB), Do you plan to support in MorphOS also Powerbook G3 and Ibook G3 ?

thanks
    regards

[ Edited by Divinity on 2010/7/27 10:50 ]
  • »27.07.10 - 09:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I suggest you read up on the issue then. The fact that these laptops do not have *external* ADB ports doesn't mean they don't use ADB internally to connect their inner components. There is no plan and no point in supporting G3 models - they have both unsupported and too underpowered graphics cards and would require even more drivers.
  • »27.07.10 - 10:17
    Profile Visit Website